#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

Alright, you guys can point and laugh if you like, but I thought I would share the problems that I had with brewing up the Quiet Store Oatmeal Stout that is in the recipe section. There was both process problems, and a problem that cause physical pain. :cheers:1st problem was me and my buddy argued about what temp to use for the strike water. I tried to tell him that we were going to lose a lot more heat from transferring it from my pot to the MLT and then adding the grains in. I finally gave in basically to prove it to him, and what do you know, 141. :D So my solution was to boil the little bit of remaining water that was in the pot and add it in to the mash and see where the temp ended up. It didn't look like a lot, but when I added it, I guess I should have gone slower because I was like "Oh shit, that was way too much water". So I ended up with a mash that had way too much water. That wasn't the biggest worry, the bigger problem was that now the mash was way too high. So I took out some of the mash, put it back in my pot and let it cool down and added it back to the mash. Now it was where I was shooting for - 156. Cool, put the lid on, went on a quick 4 mile hike and came back.When we got back, got the sparge water ready, then vorlaugh'd which was comical being the tun was still just way too flooded. While doing this, I wasn't paying attention, and my leg ended up touching the hot metal of my SABCO burner - right on my tattoo. It sizzled before I felt the pain. Hope my tattoo isn't going to be messed up. :) Anyway, the sparge stuck BAD. Had to disturb the grainbed to get it flowing again, and it was a challenge during the rest of the sparge. I have to figure out how to prevent stuck sparges, they suck.The ferment is going alright. There was very little krausen, maybe half an inch, and seems to be coming to a screeching halt though. Not sure if the WLP004 is a quick fermenter or not.It'll be beer though!! :(

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

Wow it sounded bad enough that your brew buddy and you were arguing about the strike water. Then you got burned as well, Ouch, sorry to hear that :D I am impressed you went on a 4 mile hike while your grains mashed, how many brewers can say that? All in all it does sound like it was a challenge but as you said, you will make beer. Hope the ferment turns out well. Never used that yeast so I can't comment.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, hopefully it doesn't scab up and tear out the ink. I'm keeping it moist with a ton of A&D ointment.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

We all eventually have days like that. Somehow the bitch of a brewday memories fade away when you start savoring the results. :D

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64125 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

What temp water did you strike with?I usually go for 1.25 qt/lb @ ~12°F above the mash temp, but I heat the water to about 10°F above the strike temp so the water can cool down in transfer and take up some of the thermal mass of the tun.

#6 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

I had somewhat of a similar day. Totally maxed out my system with 50 1/2 #s of grain for a 12 gallon batch. Tough as hell to mash in, then I missed my temp and couldn't heat it up enough. Then a stuck sparge. I had decreased my gap to see if I could increase my efficiency :D Turns out I probably could have gotten another 5+ gallons out of it. I ended up stopping once the BK was filled and the gravity was still about 12 P. Sometimes I wish lessons could be learned without learning them first hand. Oh well.

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

What temp water did you strike with?I usually go for 1.25 qt/lb @ ~12°F above the mash temp, but I heat the water to about 10°F above the strike temp so the water can cool down in transfer and take up some of the thermal mass of the tun.

That is pretty much what I was wanting to do, I wanted to shoot for a mash temp of 156, so I was figuring shooting for a strike temp of about 168 or so. But my buddy who is usually a very smart dude insisted that we wouldn't lose that much and said that we should only go a couple of degrees over the mash temp. So we "comprimised" on 160. I knew it was wrong but figured I could correct it, which I would have had I not been a tard myself. :D

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64125 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

That's when you break out the strike water calculator.

#9 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

That whole experience you describe reminds me of why I like to brew by myself. I never have to stop and argue or explain what I'm doing. That's what makes it enjoyable and relaxing to me. And if I make a mistake, then there's nobody to blame but myself.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

That's when you break out the strike water calculator.

Ding ding ding ding... WE HAVE A WINNER!!!I was just going to say "and what calculator in his brain was able to do that?"My buddy generated an Excel spreadsheet that is dead on for volumes (strike and sparge) and temps.

#11 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

Ding ding ding ding... WE HAVE A WINNER!!!I was just going to say "and what calculator in his brain was able to do that?"My buddy generated an Excel spreadsheet that is dead on for volumes (strike and sparge) and temps.

Yeah, I always kind of like to calculate stuff like strike water temperature ahead of time. It only takes a few seconds to calculate it on my spreadsheet and then print everything out , so I can refer to it while while I'm brewing.

#12 D86D

D86D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

I don't mind brewing with others and I always try to teach as many people to brew as possible. That way, when they start brewing on their own, they will give me some too as well as have a fun hobby. I just don't understand how you would get into an argument about something like strikewater on your own system? If a friend of mine came and told me that I didn't know how to use my system, I would just continue my process and show him how it's done.

#13 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

That whole experience you describe reminds me of why I like to brew by myself. I never have to stop and argue or explain what I'm doing. That's what makes it enjoyable and relaxing to me. And if I make a mistake, then there's nobody to blame but myself.

Me too, not that I've ever brewed with anyone in the first place though. I did have a couple buddies over to hang out while I brewed once but they didn't really do anything except ask a lot of questions.

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

My brew buddy taught me how to do All Grain after his first batch. I now brew way way more than him. He has come over and brewed with me twice this year. Each time, having brewed a MLPA and German Hefeweizen, we have pretty much used most of my equipment to make the beers. I work up the recipe, get it all together and set the brew plan volumes and temps. He never questions me, he comes over we brew and its done. I too agree if its your system then the visitor should go along with what is being done. Since you know it better than anyone else.

#15 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

I don't mind brewing with others and I always try to teach as many people to brew as possible. That way, when they start brewing on their own, they will give me some too as well as have a fun hobby. I just don't understand how you would get into an argument about something like strikewater on your own system? If a friend of mine came and told me that I didn't know how to use my system, I would just continue my process and show him how it's done.

This guy doesn't just help me out here and there, he has brewed with me EVERY TIME. He really should have known better as I did, so I just went with it to prove a point in the end. It wouldn't have been a big deal if I didn't mess up bringing up the temp afterwards.You guys are harsh!! ;)

#16 D86D

D86D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

Sorry Badogg. Didn't mean to be harsh at all. It didn't sound like he had been brewin with you that much.

#17 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

Sorry Badogg. Didn't mean to be harsh at all. It didn't sound like he had been brewin with you that much.

No worries man, it's all good. We're all friends here. ;)

#18 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28456 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

Purging water backwards through the mash manifold can sometimes unstick things. When I start my runoff* I make sure to get all water out by lowering my hose till its full, then close the valve, lift hose, let bubbles rise, open valve, repeat. Same can sometimes work w/ a slow trickle from a generally stuck mash.*This is when I pour the water into my tun rather than pump it in through the manifold, when I do that its a non-issue since there is no air in the manifold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users