#1 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

sooo I have a batch going right now that still hasn't taken off. No krausen, no fermentation period. I smacked a pack of wyeast 1214 at 10am on sunday and by mid afternoon monday it still wasn't puffed....so I pitched anyway and am waiting to see. I think more belgian abby comes into the LHBS on thursday - should I wait that long (brewed sunday, pitched monday) or should I pitch the pack of nottingham I have for emergencies in the fridge? I was going to use the belgian slurry for something huge so if you guys think it'll be ok until thursday I'll probably leave it....

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

sooo I have a batch going right now that still hasn't taken off. No krausen, no fermentation period. I smacked a pack of wyeast 1214 at 10am on sunday and by mid afternoon monday it still wasn't puffed....so I pitched anyway and am waiting to see. I think more belgian abby comes into the LHBS on thursday - should I wait that long (brewed sunday, pitched monday) or should I pitch the pack of nottingham I have for emergencies in the fridge? I was going to use the belgian slurry for something huge so if you guys think it'll be ok until thursday I'll probably leave it....

You pitched an uninflated smack pack without a starter yesterday and you're worried that you haven't seen anything? I'm not surprised. You've got another couple of days to wait IMO.

#3 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

sorry if I wasn't clear, I am pretty unconcerned. I am curious if I can get away with waiting for more belgian or if you think it'd be risky to go for four days without activity without repitching another strain. Does that make sense?

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

sorry if I wasn't clear, I am pretty unconcerned. I am curious if I can get away with waiting for more belgian or if you think it'd be risky to go for four days without activity without repitching another strain. Does that make sense?

I think what Denny's getting at is that you underpitched fairly severely so it's a little early to be worried that the yeast isn't viable. Give it two more days and if you still don't have any activity, it's now time to consider re-pitching.

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

yeah I am really just asking because I am planning whether or not I'll need a trip to the LHBS on thursday haha. I'm not worried about the beer. Funny brew day, I forgot the yeast at my friend's house. haha I think that brew day was the epitome of RDWHAHB.I am aware I underpitched, I am hoping for some crazy belgian flavours as a result..... maybe I'll ramp it up around 78 df once it gets going too... haha.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

Earth, Sorry man but I totally agree with Denny and Mtn on this big under pitch but you also pitched a yeast that Wyeast says is slow to start thats another strike against it sorry to say. Below is clipped from Wyeast pageYEAST STRAIN: 1214 | Belgian Ale™Abbey-style top-fermenting yeast, suitable for high-gravity beers. Estery, great complexity with very good alcohol tolerance. This strain can be slow to start.Origin:Flocculation: medium-lowAttenuation: 73-77%Temperature Range: 68-78° F (20-24° C)Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 9% ABVStyles: Belgian Dark Strong Ale Belgian Dubbel Belgian Specialty Ale Belgian Tripel Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer Witbier

#7 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

haha ok ok, I should've said in the OP: I am not worried that this hasn't taken off yet, and I understand that this yeast will be (especially) slow to start. I just wanted some confirmation on my plan to just leave it alone for now and not panic and dump in yeast when it isn't needed! :DIn the event that it doesn't get going by thursday afternoon I'll take a trip to the LHBS as planned and get a second smackpack.thanks :cheers:

#8 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

I never knew about the "may be slow to start" thing with 1214. I just used 1214 in a dubbel yesterday. Mine was manufactured about 2 months ago. I smacked it on Thursday and it took a full day to expand. Then it went into a 1000ml starter (Friday) for 2 days, which I bumped up to 1500ml (on Sunday). I pitched it into a 1.085 wort late on Monday afternoon and I had a full inch of kreusen this morning.earthtone, just how old was your smack pack of 1214? Also, I would not bother "ramping it up to 78F" to get crazy Belgian flavors. The fact that you massively underpitched will likely do that for you (stressed yeast will throw more esters). I think I read in BLAM that some Belgian brewers underpitch (slightly) on purpose to achieve this effect.Good luck!

#9 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

thanks maz - as to how old it was ask the LHBS manager that brought it to the brewday for me (here's lookin at you steve ;) )of course he did offer to smack it a day earlier but I had never had a smackpack take more than a good handful of hours to expand haha. Live and learn. I think belgian isn't a hot seller and I got the dregs so maybe a few factors against me :lol:

#10 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:14 AM

not to bust your chops, but your OP asks if you should wait until a new pack arrives at the HBS or pitch a pack of dry.Everyone says to give this thing time to start. But then you say you are not worried. But wonder if you should plan a trip to the HBS.RDWHAHB. 3 days is not uncommon around my parts. Even with a starter.

#11 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:39 AM

The beer is ruined. The best you can do at this point is throw in a full jar of breadmachine yeast and pray.Just kidding. Don't do that! (the bread yeast or the praying, neither will yield the results you seek)

#12 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

haha totally, I realize my OP was poorly crafted and humbly apologize. Don't hate me ;) oh p.s. came home and it's takin off like crazy.we now return to your non-drunk-posting regular afternoon forum topics.

#13 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:21 AM

yeah I am really just asking because I am planning whether or not I'll need a trip to the LHBS on thursday haha. I'm not worried about the beer. Funny brew day, I forgot the yeast at my friend's house. haha I think that brew day was the epitome of RDWHAHB.I am aware I underpitched, I am hoping for some crazy belgian flavours as a result..... maybe I'll ramp it up around 78 df once it gets going too... haha.

In my opinion, you should be worried. But for another reason.Underpitching in homebrewing is, in my experience, the biggest cause of contaminated and ultimately ruined batches of beer. Every hour that your yeast is not eating sugar you can bet that there are bacteria that are. And they grow WAY faster than yeast.Maybe you will get some crazy flavours, but not the right ones.....I always have and will preach STARTERS for homebrewers.BrewBasser

#14 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

Edit: just saw you response that it is working. Edited to retain some of the now relevant comments.I believe Wyeast says their smackpak does not increase the cell count. The purpose of the smackpack is to confirm viability of and wake up the yeast and get them ready for making beer. So you did not underpitch from a cell count standpoint any more than you would have if it was swollen.zymot

Edited by zymot, 28 May 2009 - 07:19 AM.

#15 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

Edit: just saw you response that it is working. Edited to retain some of the now relevant comments.I believe Wyeast says their smackpak does not increase the cell count. The purpose of the smackpack is to confirm viability of and wake up the yeast and get them ready for making beer. So you did not underpitch from a cell count standpoint any more than you would have if it was swollen.zymot

It is my opinion that a single smack pack and 5 gallons of wort is underpitching, but that is my opinion.Quick check to their website:

An Activator contains approximately 100 billion cells which will deliver slightly less than 6 million cells per milliliter to a 5 gallon batch of beer.

This is about half the cells that I would pitch for a 13 plato beer, but isn't as bad as it used to be. They used to sell less cells.Of course they are telling you how many cells are in the pack, not the viable cells, which I am sure is far far less than the totall cells.BrewBasser

#16 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

It is my opinion that a single smack pack and 5 gallons of wort is underpitching, but that is my opinion.This is about half the cells that I would pitch for a 13 plato beer, but isn't as bad as it used to be. They used to sell less cells.Of course they are telling you how many cells are in the pack, not the viable cells, which I am sure is far far less than the totall cells.BrewBasser

That is why I added the qualifier of:

So you did not underpitch from a cell count standpoint any more than you would have if it was swollen.

In Other Words" A swollen smackpack does significantly change/improve the level of underpitching.

#17 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

earthtone... how is your brew doing?Just took a gravity reading of my 1214 brew. OG was 1.085 and is now down to 1.016! 9% baby!

#18 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:05 AM

earthtone... how is your brew doing?Just took a gravity reading of my 1214 brew. OG was 1.085 and is now down to 1.016! 9% baby!

smells yummy, took a sample and it went 1.060 to 1.018 so far.... should drop the rest in short form :cheers:Lately I have been using the dry yeasts available to me to try and understand what they are capable of as well as saving a little money. This round the circumstances just worked out this way but I'm really not worried about it. It'll be beer though you are very right brewbasser and I would normally ensure my pitching rate matches what mister malty tells me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users