#1 SKubrick

SKubrick

Comptroller of Pissing Matches

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationThe Great State of Idaho

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

I made a mead once and the process took a year an a half. I swore I'd never do another one. That was... early yesterday I think. Anyway, I'd like to do something like this:1 - a little sweet, but only a little2 - has a fruit flavor, like apples or raspberries3 - doesn't take a year and a half to fermentSomething that has a pretty light taste, maybe even carbonated. I can adjust the flavor intensity by diluting I guess. I've never done a cyser or a melomel... never even tasted one actually.Can you suggest good recipes and/or commercial examples?Thanks!

#2 SKubrick

SKubrick

Comptroller of Pissing Matches

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationThe Great State of Idaho

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:02 AM

Come to think of it I did have a Lambic, which was delicious, but it had hardly any alcohol (1.5%). I'd like this to have a good amount of alcohol. If it could taste like a Francois Lambic and have real alcohol, I'd be set.

#3 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

I just finished transfering and bottling a Joe's Ancient Orange that fermented and cleared in 4 months. (Made this for the favors for my daughter's wedding next month). Came out semi-sweet, low alcohol bite, cleared nicely. Left on lees for the 4 months. The keys to this batch were: controlled ferment @65 dF, High Test's Staggered Nutrient Addition, used D-47 not bread yeast as called in some of the Joe's recipies you might find in a search. This is a go to Mead that I recommend to those beginners who ask me to help them in starting mead making. Mine came in @ 15%, but you could adjust content accordingly.

#4 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

Grab Ken Schramm's book. Lots of helpful advice. Most my mead are ready for drinking in about 3-4 months. I have even won a few medals for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users