#1 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19090 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

I'm hoping to make a second batch of cider. My first one had a very stinky ferment, but most of it went away. The end result, while pretty much awesome in every other sense, does have a light hint of sulfur. What can I do to lessen this on my next batch? For further background, on my first batch I used Munton's ale yeast, fermentaid K and fermented at 58-63 F ambient (i.e. my normal winter house temp given nocturnal and diurnal swings because of timer thermostat) for about 6 or 7 weeks. The same brand (Big B's, from Colorado) that I used before also has a cider/cherry juice blend that is delicious. I'm hoping my next batch to be at least half this stuff.Thanks in advance.

#2 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19090 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

Went ahead and made this two weeks ago and just tried my first sample (broke my hydrometer and haven't replaced it yet, so I'm doing it the old-fashioned way - no OG and no FG). 3.5 gallons of apple/cherry juice and one gallon of regular cider, 6 lbs. of honey. Pitched Safale us-05 along with yeast nutrient. I must say, while it's still sweet and probably needs another week or so before I sulfite it, this is one of the best things I've made, ever! I've made one batch each of both mead and cider, and while both were OK, I wouldn't say they were great. Not sure if it's the yeast change or the addition of honey or what, but I'm very happy. I just hope the cherry flavor keeps hanging on as well as it has. I'm curious what % cherry juice the blend I used was. I'll have to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users