Photo
- - - - -

How big of batches do you make?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Batch Size (0 member(s) have cast votes)

What size batches to you brew at home?

1. 1-5 gallons (22 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. 6-15 gallons (39 votes [59.09%])

Percentage of vote: 59.09%

3. 16+ gallons (5 votes [7.58%])

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

4. I dont brew, therefore I have no pants. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Just wondering who makes what sized batches. I do 6 gals, which allows me to keg 5 g of it, and bottle the rest to share with friends. Whats your story?

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

10 gallon finished product. 11-12 post boil.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68760 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

I do 5.5's, and if I intend to have a little extra I'll bump up to 6. I will adjust batch size for large amounts of whole hops as well

#4 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

The past couple years mostly 10 but lately I am going back to 5 gal so I can brew more different recipes and variants of recipes. 10 gallons is pretty much either for a party or something my wife and I plan to have around for a while these days.

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

I do anywhere from 4-12 gallon batches, it depends on the beer. I generally do 10 gallon batches though. If I am off on my volumes, it may get up to 12 gallons post boil.For my big beers that I boil for a long time, they can boil down to 4 gallons post boil or so. Also, if I don't think I will be able to drink it quickly enough before the beer goes bad, I will limit myself to just 5 gallons. This is more for my wheat beers, as I discovered if I keep them for too long, they sour and I dump them, so it isn't worth it for me to do a full 10g batch of it.

#6 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

I do 5 gallon batches. That's as big as my pot is, so that's what I do.

#7 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

10 gallons of finished product is my standard size. Usually like 11 into the fermenter, sometimes I split that into two carboys for whatever reason. If I've got a carboy sitting around empty I'll do a 5 gallon batch, same if I just have ingredients lying around for 5 gallons.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

10 gallon finished product. 11-12 post boil.

Pretty much the same. I had every intention of fermenting more when I restarted. Figured I could bottle some in bombers or champagne bottles - never gotten around to it. So, fill a couple kegs and call it good.

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

I brew 5.25-5.5 gallon beers and make sure I hit that mark so after transfer I get 5 gallons in the keg. When I started kegging a year ago I brewed 6 gallons and bottled the extra gallon. Now I think bottling and carbing is a PIA so I said forget that. If someone wants any of my beers then can take from the keg or I will counter fill a bottle or 6er for you. I also brewed 5 gallons so as soon as one is gone, its gone not another 5 gallons around to drink. I only brew 10 gallon batches when I split them with my brew buddy and that has been twice so far this year. I have brewed 14 beers this year all different. Variety is the spice of life.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

I only voted for 5 b/c that's pretty much what I make but very often I end up with between 5-6 depending on boil off, how carefully I measure, etc.

#11 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

10g because my system is setup for it and it takes me no more time or effort. It means I brew less often, which is both good and bad.

#12 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

6 because that is what my system allows for and usually only 5 plus a six pack make it into someone's esophagus.

#13 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

Every day beer 11 gallon batch. Specialty brew 5.5 gallon which is seldom.

#14 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

I checked the 5 gallon mark, mostly that is what im finished with.My system is 6.5 gallon preboil, so around 5 to 5.25 is normal for finished . I agree with NC brewer bottling is a PIA , kegging is great. Gives me more joy and lot less work.

#15 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:54 AM

For sure on the bottling. Last night, I kegged and started to force carb a German Hefeweizen and an American IPA transfer, seal keg, put on gas. Thirty minutes, drinking by next weekend. Sure can't do that with bottles.

#16 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

5.25-5.5 as well keeps me happy. I bottle because I just don't know any better.

#17 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

Its easier for me to brew 20-24g batches. Doesn't take that much more time. About the same as going from 5 to 10g. I got tired of trying to brew 10g batches of a whole bunch of different styles. Now i just brew 4-5 styles that i like the most and only brew a handful of times/year. I love brewing, but have decided i enjoy it more by brewing more, less often.

#18 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

5.5 gallons post boil gives me enough to make 5 gallons of finished beer, after leaving behind trub and yeast, and accounting for gravity samples.I thought about 10 gallon batches, and I know my drinking could keep pace with that if allowed it to do so. However, 5 gallon batches allow me to set a physique-friendly consumption pace, while still brewing often enough to keep it interesting.

#19 beerbaron

beerbaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

I do a 15 gal mash and split it to two 15.5 gal kettles(one small, one big) for a total finished quantity of about 21-22 gallons.

#20 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

I thought about 10 gallon batches, and I know my drinking could keep pace with that if allowed it to do so. However, 5 gallon batches allow me to set a physique-friendly consumption pace, while still brewing often enough to keep it interesting.

I did too, but bumping up to 10 gallon batches requires more equipment, which translates into more money. Packing around 6 gals of boiling hot wort is about the max i can do. To do 10 gals, Iwould need to get a march pump, a bigger chiller, a larger kettle, and a larger fermenter. I think ill just stay where im at for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users