#1 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

My tri-clamp keggles are just about done (Inverted sanke's with the bottoms cut out) and I'd like to look into making my own false bottoms.I'm planning on getting the perforated stainless from here.Just not sure on the hole size/spacing I should get. Any comments on the thickness of metal to get would be helpful too!I'm planning on cutting right down the middle and silver soldering a stainless steel piano hinge in the middle. I will also be getting some stainless steel strips and making "feet" for the bottom part of the false bottom.Thoughts?

#2 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:56 AM

Looks like 3/32" holes with 5/32" spacing is the norm and 1/16" for the thickness.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:57 AM

Send Swagman a PM. He has a lot of perforated steel sheets in his shed just for this. You can cut slits in the top of the keg to fit the FB into the keg without hinges.

#4 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

Send Swagman a PM. He has a lot of perforated steel sheets in his shed just for this. You can cut slits in the top of the keg to fit the FB into the keg without hinges.

+1 Love mine, will have him make me another one when I upgrade to a bigger MT.

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16534 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

+1 Love mine, will have him make me another one when I upgrade to a bigger MT.

Swag does know the correct hole size and spacing thats for sure.But you will never catch me with a FB in my Tun. I had more trouble with stuck sparges on my first rig that i sold it all off and upgraded to manifolds. When I get my 25g Mega pot for my next MT it will have a round manifold installed in it. FB's in keggles rock tho.

#6 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Swag does know the correct hole size and spacing thats for sure.But you will never catch me with a FB in my Tun. I had more trouble with stuck sparges on my first rig that i sold it all off and upgraded to manifolds. When I get my 25g Mega pot for my next MT it will have a round manifold installed in it. FB's in keggles rock tho.

Since these are bottom drain a false bottom is basically required. But I've always had good luck with the small 12.5" ones I've been using. And more I look at it I think I'm just going to fashion a mounting system and reuse them on these new bottom draining keggles.

#7 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16534 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

Since these are bottom drain a false bottom is basically required. But I've always had good luck with the small 12.5" ones I've been using. And more I look at it I think I'm just going to fashion a mounting system and reuse them on these new bottom draining keggles.

Bottom drain is sweet! Love to see a pic of that!I use both my 12.5' domed FB in my 25g kettles as well. One charge of whole hops and the rest pellets wont clog it.I fashioned a way for the diptube to hold the FB to the bottom of my side letting valves. On the bottom will be a little tricker. Using a whole sheet with feet would be the best solution. Money tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users