#1 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

I am looking to make a gluten free brew here for a friend of mine, I can't get amylase through my LHBS so can I use Beano in the mash in place of amylase and then boil away as normal? Just looking for a source of amylase that I don't need to order in.Anyone know what enzyme is in beano? should do the trick right? I'd be doing only a partial mash of some GF cereal grains and then adding the rest of the fermentables from agave syrup.Thanks a lot!

#2 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

ahhh shit nvm, just found some fine print on the beano page that it contains wheat....

#3 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

anyone know a good palce to look for amylase outside of a LHBS?? natural foods store or something?

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

Having fun talking to yourself there earthtone? I think I could here the wheels grinding in there. :smilielol:

Edited by chuck_d, 23 May 2009 - 03:20 PM.

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

haha thanks chuck, I was getting lonely in this gear house :smilielol:well I guess sometimes I just need to think outloud. Here I go again:I am thinking of using this agave syrup I have on hand for a bunch of the fermentables, should I do a mix of rice syrup solids and agave or just one? I am going to light toast some brown aromatic basmati and some buckwheat and steep them for flavour. My experience is all with barley, wheat, oats!!!! Ah the sweet glutenny grains.....So yeah, shooting for a extract steeped grains kinda recipe here... not a partial mash.... anyone? bueller? bueller?

#6 commander flatus

commander flatus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

usually gluten free beer is made with sorghum.

haha thanks chuck, I was getting lonely in this gear house :smilielol:well I guess sometimes I just need to think outloud. Here I go again:I am thinking of using this agave syrup I have on hand for a bunch of the fermentables, should I do a mix of rice syrup solids and agave or just one? I am going to light toast some brown aromatic basmati and some buckwheat and steep them for flavour. My experience is all with barley, wheat, oats!!!! Ah the sweet glutenny grains.....So yeah, shooting for a extract steeped grains kinda recipe here... not a partial mash.... anyone? bueller? bueller?

#7 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11681 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

They have liquid beano at the store, and whole foods sells an alternative brand which might not have wheat in it.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

Beano is Alpha-Galactosidase. Much different animal compared to alpha or beta amylase. It's not a substitute.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

I think the big gluten-free beer (Red Bridge or something...) is made from Sorghum and rice. Never had it but a few people have said it's decent for beer with no barley in it. I don't know what sorghum is like to work with, but if you made the beer properly, used some nice hops and the right yeast, I could see it being pretty darn tasty. Cheers.

#10 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

Beano is Alpha-Galactosidase. Much different animal compared to alpha or beta amylase. It's not a substitute.

This.BrewBasser

#11 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

I think the big gluten-free beer (Red Bridge or something...) is made from Sorghum and rice. Never had it but a few people have said it's decent for beer with no barley in it. I don't know what sorghum is like to work with, but if you made the beer properly, used some nice hops and the right yeast, I could see it being pretty darn tasty. Cheers.

Red Bridge is drinkable.I could see getting used to it if that is all I could drink.Interesting note, this beer came about because the head brewer of AB (who graduated from the UC Davis Master Brewer Program) found out that his proffessor was a celiac, and he was inspired to make a beer his proff could drink.I know this as I had the same teacher in the same program. I tried some of the test versions of this beer when I was in beer school.BrewBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users