#1 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

I've got an old 30 quart kettle that I have since upgraded from. It's just plain SS and I want to put a couple ports in it for a ball valve & a thermometer. Next time I'm at the welding supply shop getting my gas I'm going to chat them up about getting a 1/2" SS threaded port welded into it. I'm looking for right questions to ask, and since I'm unfamiliar with welding I'd like any suggestions. Basically I was going to tell them I need to have two 1/2" SS threaded ports sanitary welded into my SS kettle and see if they can do that or know someone who can. Anything else I should ask about?

#2 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

Just make sure you know what 'sanitary' means. Usually this will mean a TIG with a backflood of inert gas in order to make the weld sanitary.Many places charge per hour, with a minimum of an hour's charge. See if you can find more things to weld, or get together with others to share in the cost if this is the case with the welder you go to. They may also be paid in beer, depending.

#3 SWAGMAN

SWAGMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWACK AKA KANSAS CITY KANSAS

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

A few questions is necessary. Ask to see there work. Ask if they have done sanitary welds. Ask how and what size hole they are going to make and how. Most 1/2 couplers run a .100 over an inch. Myself I turn half there length to one inch and use a one inch hole saw so you have a tight fit for tig welding. Have the location marked where you want the couplers. I place about half the coupler into the kettle.Hope this helpsDominus VobiscumSwagman Me thinks I have been here before but a different place lol

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

Good looks guys. I appreciate the info. It always helps to know what you're talking about when asking questions. :smilielol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users