12 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

This is a common theme for people who try my beer: "Man, this is really smooth." I'm not sure what causes this. I just make the beer. :smilielol: :smilielol:ETA: maybe I should tell them it's the aphids that were on the wet hops I threw into the boil? :cheers:

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

Balance in other words.......

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:31 AM

Balance in other words.......

That could be it but I'm also thinking it must be an absence of any flaws that cause harshness or an unpleasant taste.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:23 AM

I think that statement can be taken in a number of ways. I have also had people say that to me and my first impression that they're referring to the fact that their tastebuds have not been assaulted by hops. Most of my beers are meant to be balanced between malt & hops and many commercial beers these days (craft beers mostly) are so hoppy that some people who just like to drink beer are surprised by it. I also think it's possible that my water profile may have something to do with smoothness. My chloride-to-sulfate ratio leans towards the 'very malty' side and I'm also low on calcium so if I add some calcium chloride that may also contribute to the 'rounded smoothness' it's supposed to bring. I also use some percentage of distilled water in many of my beers which would knock the carbonate down from the levels of my filtered tap water so that may come across as smoothness too. It could also mean that you don't carbonate your beers to the same level as something like a yellow, fizzy American lager too... something that most Americans are accustom to. Cheers!

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:45 AM

I think that statement can be taken in a number of ways. I have also had people say that to me and my first impression that they're referring to the fact that their tastebuds have not been assaulted by hops. Most of my beers are meant to be balanced between malt & hops and many commercial beers these days (craft beers mostly) are so hoppy that some people who just like to drink beer are surprised by it. I also think it's possible that my water profile may have something to do with smoothness. My chloride-to-sulfate ratio leans towards the 'very malty' side and I'm also low on calcium so if I add some calcium chloride that may also contribute to the 'rounded smoothness' it's supposed to bring. I also use some percentage of distilled water in many of my beers which would knock the carbonate down from the levels of my filtered tap water so that may come across as smoothness too. It could also mean that you don't carbonate your beers to the same level as something like a yellow, fizzy American lager too... something that most Americans are accustom to. Cheers!

People have actually said this about some of what I would consider beers on the hoppy side of things. I have considered the chloride:sulfate ratio as well but as of late I've been purposely pushing everything except maybe stouts and porters into the "bitter" or "very bitter" range according to palmer's spreadsheet. I just enjoy the slight "crispness" it brings to the table. The carbonation could be part of it - I generally keep it pretty moderate except on a few choice beers.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:09 AM

It's definitely a comment that should be taken as a compliment, no matter what. You know when you make a good beer and you also know when you make something that you don't feel is your best effort. When 'normal beer drinkers' come over and drink your beer (and continuously drink your beer) and comment on how smooth it is... it doesn't get much better. Cheers Amigo.

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10733 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:10 AM

I just think this is also what people say when they try whiskey... *scrunched up face and look of disgust* "hmmm smooth"Are these people that normally drink craft (dark) beers. It could just be the realization that a dark beer really does taste good.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:25 AM

I just think this is also what people say when they try whiskey... *scrunched up face and look of disgust* "hmmm smooth"Are these people that normally drink craft (dark) beers. It could just be the realization that a dark beer really does taste good.

I'd say they are casual craft beer drinkers. They don't know many styles but they at least know if they like an IPA, pale ale, or stout. They are probably generally drinking Sam Adams, Red Hook, Smuttynose, and Harpoon type stuff.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:36 AM

It's definitely a comment that should be taken as a compliment, no matter what. You know when you make a good beer and you also know when you make something that you don't feel is your best effort. When 'normal beer drinkers' come over and drink your beer (and continuously drink your beer) and comment on how smooth it is... it doesn't get much better. Cheers Amigo.

indeed - except when my beer is all gone :covreyes: :lol:

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

indeed - except when my beer is all gone :unsure: :covreyes:

You must never let that happen. This is a sickness of mine... that I will run out of beer. I currently have 4 kegs on tap, another 2 kegs in reserve, 5 beers in secondary and three beers in primary. Always keep the wheels turning my friend. :lol:

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

You must never let that happen. This is a sickness of mine... that I will run out of beer. I currently have 4 kegs on tap, another 2 kegs in reserve, 5 beers in secondary and three beers in primary. Always keep the wheels turning my friend. :covreyes:

I've got 4 kegs at various levels right now and probably 4-5 cases of different homebrew in the basement. I'll be okay for a while but I'm thinking of knocking out that house lager next weekend. Basement is down to 52F and should drop a little more by then. I could probably get away with a swamp cooler :lol:

#12 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

I'd guess the "smooth" comments are just something they picked up from a BMC marketing campaign as something that you should say about a good beer, not knowing any better.You know:"Smooth, never bitter" or something along those lines

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

I'd guess the "smooth" comments are just something they picked up from a BMC marketing campaign as something that you should say about a good beer, not knowing any better.You know:"Smooth, never bitter" or something along those lines

you mean like this guy?Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users