#41 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25383 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

One thing I haven't heard yet in this thread is to remember it will be your house lager. So look at the lager styles you like the most and find something you would enjoy, it doesn't have to be an exactly to style. Didn't someone on here recently brew an all Colombus Pils that they enjoyed? You may decide to brew something right to a style or you may just want to add your own twist.

That was me, and yes, was quite enjoyable. The Simcoe Pils was also great.

One thing I like to do that might fit in with what the OP discussed was, instead of making a starter, I will make a small batch of a cali common and pitch a tube of yeast into that. Since it is going to ferment at cool ale temps, you don't need a huge cell count and a straight tube pitch will work, then you have a nice healthy yeast cake to brew a "real" lagar. . Just my 2 cents. I just picked up a vial of Zurich that I plan to do this with soon.

#42 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:54 AM

I hope it comes out great, Zym. Hey... did we have this discussion already... have you ever used 2206? I know we talked about 2124 earlier in this thread, but I racked a Festbier out of primary into secondary today and the smell of that 2206 was so yummy I was thinking about your 'house lager'. If you haven't tried it, please do when you have the chance and your basement temps are cooperating. Really, really nice German lager profile from this Bavarian yeast. Cheers.

I have only used 2308. Don't worry though - next fall I'll be posting a thread about what my next lager strain should be and you can lay it all on me. Thanks Ken! :facepalm:

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:44 AM

I have only used 2308. Don't worry though - next fall I'll be posting a thread about what my next lager strain should be and you can lay it all on me. Thanks Ken! :facepalm:

That will be tough because I won't know which yeast you should try to start. Hmm, 2206, 2001, 2278, 2124, 2633, 2782, WLP830, WLP940, WLP800... way too many to choose just one. You're going to have to hit Craigslist and find that perfect little fridge so you can ramp up lager production all year long! There are times when I consider going all-lager-all-the-time because I really like the profiles I get with these lager yeasts! Cheers.

#44 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:52 AM

That will be tough because I won't know which yeast you should try to start. Hmm, 2206, 2001, 2278, 2124, 2633, 2782, WLP830, WLP940, WLP800... way too many to choose just one. You're going to have to hit Craigslist and find that perfect little fridge so you can ramp up lager production all year long! There are times when I consider going all-lager-all-the-time because I really like the profiles I get with these lager yeasts! Cheers.

I like fest type beers if that helps.

#45 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54189 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

I like fest type beers if that helps.

In that case, 2124, 2206, 2782 (when available), 2633, WLP820, WLP830 and possibly others. Cheers.

#46 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

In that case, 2124, 2206, 2782 (when available), 2633, WLP820, WLP830 and possibly others. Cheers.

I'm thinking 2124 might be a nice choice since it seems pretty versatile.

#47 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:31 AM

so the basement warmed up slightly over the last few days so my ferms temps have been more like 51-52F instead of the 48-49F that I usually like to shoot for. the fermentation seems to be chugging along at a nice pace though. no extreme airlock activity but nice and even for the past 4 days.

#48 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

Zym, my lagers are usually quite subdued when fermenting. If you are used to ale fermentations with the active fermentation and blow-off and all. Lagers are a different animal altogether. I love that fact that lager yeast thrive in the cold(in terms for yeast) high 40s- low 50s and they are bottom fermenting. I never really knew what that meant until earier this year while observing an"active" lager fermentation, I notice all of the c02 bubbles rising up thru the beer along the sides of the carboy, obviously fermenting from the bottom of the carboy.Bottom fermenting is actually what they mean... when most yeast would puss out at cold temps, the lager yeast chuggs along in the cold wort like an ice road trucker!Posted Image

Edited by Matt C, 19 December 2010 - 08:44 PM.

#49 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:38 AM

Zym, my lagers are usually quite subdued when fermenting. If you are used to ale fermentations with the active fermentation and blow-off and all. Lagers are a different animal altogether. I love that fact that lager yeast thrive in the cold(in terms for yeast) high 40s- low 50s and they are bottom fermenting. I never really knew what that meant until earier this year while observing an"active" lager fermentation, I notice all of the c02 bubbles rising up thru the beer along the sides of the carboy, obviously fermenting from the bottom of the carboy.Bottom fermenting is actually what they mean... when most yeast would puss out at cold temps, the lager yeast chuggs along in the cold wort like an ice road trucker!Posted Image

moved the beer to the basement stairs yesterday where it's 55F to help clean up any diacetyl and to get those last few points (airlock activity is pretty much done with). I may move it into the living area of the house tonight to help more but I wanted the transition to be gradual.

#50 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

...one step at a time eh?...get it?...*useless pun* :devil:

#51 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo