#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

My wife cut down the tallest and best of my three chosen hop bines with the Weedeater last week. :) Since the hand surgery, she's taken over trimming duties for the last few weeks and slipped and whacked it with the line. The thing was 10 feet tall. :covreyes: I'd already trimmed back all the other shoots pretty aggressively and nothing seems to be coming up to be a candidate to replace it on the rope.Looks like my hop production just got cut by a third...

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

RIPsorry to hear that georg, damn.At least she didn't get all 3.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

My condolensces... part of the reason I'm glad my wife can't start the weed whacker!

#4 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

My condolensces... part of the reason I'm glad my wife can't start the weed whacker!

My wife wouldnt attempt it, but I'd be pretty worried if she couldnt start our weed whacker. It's electric.

#5 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

My wife cut down the tallest and best of my three chosen hop bines with the Weedeater last week. :) Since the hand surgery, she's taken over trimming duties for the last few weeks and slipped and whacked it with the line. The thing was 10 feet tall. :covreyes: I'd already trimmed back all the other shoots pretty aggressively and nothing seems to be coming up to be a candidate to replace it on the rope.Looks like my hop production just got cut by a third...

dude i accidentally snapped my bines trying to wrap them around their twine. I waited for a few weeks for them to grow back and nothingjust recently i saw two good potential bines and they have taken off. my tallest the only survivor of my bine holocaust is now at about 14 ft.youre hops will grow back

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

dude, should have just put the two cut end peices together and see if it would have grafted itself. Plants can be pretty freaky that way and do shit like that.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:46 AM

Condolences for sure. I am sure she won't get near them again with the weed eater. Maybe its a good thing I do all the yardwork.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:02 AM

My wife cut down the tallest and best of my three chosen hop bines with the Weedeater last week. :smilielol: Since the hand surgery, she's taken over trimming duties for the last few weeks and slipped and whacked it with the line. The thing was 10 feet tall. :) I'd already trimmed back all the other shoots pretty aggressively and nothing seems to be coming up to be a candidate to replace it on the rope.Looks like my hop production just got cut by a third...

Don't worry - one of my rhizomes doesn't even have anything I'd call a shoot yet :covreyes:

#9 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

Don't worry - one of my rhizomes doesn't even have anything I'd call a shoot yet :covreyes:

Yeah, poor Zym has been having to drool with envy over our reports of "my bines are ## feet tall", and such. Out of the frost yet there Zym?

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:51 AM

Yeah, poor Zym has been having to drool with envy over our reports of "my bines are ## feet tall", and such. Out of the frost yet there Zym?

Oh yeah - 90s yesterday and today. I think my rhizome that DOES have shoots grew about an inch yesterday.

#11 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:03 AM

Ouch.Mine are new this year so mine won't come close to that .when I planted them I knew better so I put a wall around the base to keep the kids and the mower away ... If they were that big already with luck it will come back I used small curbing blocks.. but you could put up some square garden wire or chicken wire to keep things like the wife away..Cheers.

#12 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

Oh yeah - 90s yesterday and today. I think my rhizome that DOES have shoots grew about an inch yesterday.

mine have been growing a solid 3-4 inches a day. Its like watching a baby grow.

#13 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:12 AM

To bad you can't shoot her and eat her like the other hop killer in the PH. :covreyes:

#14 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35404 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

All mine died :covreyes:I had 3, but last year only 2 came up. Had a bunch of nice cascades. The EKGs didnt produce.This year, nothing came up :)

#15 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

So what did you do with your wife's body? :covreyes: Sorry for you loss.zymot

#16 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

Sorry to hear about that, my williamette is dead in the ground this year( cutworm) . The NB is doing good, and my cascade is doing ok. Im trying to grow in sand i think.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

mine have been growing a solid 3-4 inches a day. Its like watching a baby grow.

I'm excited for when I get to this point. At what height do I need to make sure the plant has some support? Right now it will have to grow about a food before it hits the rope but I could easily put a stick in the ground to guide it up there.

#18 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

I'm excited for when I get to this point. At what height do I need to make sure the plant has some support? Right now it will have to grow about a food before it hits the rope but I could easily put a stick in the ground to guide it up there.

I have stick in the ground to which I tie the lines to. So why is your rope so short?Four of my hops are near 20 feet already. Flowers have bloomed and now it is time to make sure they all keep their hands to themselves. I have them way too close together but then again, I have no room. I gotta get out of this house.

#19 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

No big whoop. I bet she learned her lesson. Not like you were producing your brew-supply's worth of hops there.This is supposed to be fun, not tragic.(Easy to say with seven very healthy bines going up-up-up.... I'd be pretty miffed. Have a beer and look forward to next year.)

#20 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

There is finally a bit of new growth that I can train onto the rope. I don't know if I'll even bother. The other two are 12 ft tall already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users