#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

I made a 5 gallon batch of the Boutny of fall about a month ago. It took about a week and a half before I had active fermentation and it went hard for about 2 weeks. I added yeast nutriend on wednesday and it picked back up. About how long to you guys primary this before racking? How many SNA's do you do for primary? is there anything else you add as far as whats out there for wine additives? This is my forst try and I want it to go well so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

#2 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

SNA has three steps: innoculation, initial ferment start, and 1/2 sugar.I primary for about 1 week for most sugars to be fermented. After that, I'm aging on the lees and allowing MLF. One month for primary isn't out of the ordinary. You do want to get the fastest, cleanest ferment possible.

So after I transfer to carboy do I still do the SNA's?

#3 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

No, by the time you transfer, you should be at terminal gravity. SNA last addition is at 50% sugar (OG 1.100 -> final SNA 1.050).

Ok good, that clears a lot up for me. It's been in primary for a month and I've done 2 SNA's. I looked today and bubbling is starting to slow way down again to almost nothing so tomorrow I'm going to check my gravity and see if I can rack or if I need to do another SNA. This is a learning experience for me so any additional advice (dumbed way down of course) will help.Thanks!

#4 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

You've been in primary for a month and it is still bubbling (fermenting?) ?? That's a long time for me. Please detail your OG and amounts and types of nutrients along with temperatures. Also, have you been agitating to keep yeast in solution and CO2 outgassing?

I used your recipe for the bounty of fall cyser and hit all your numbers exactly. I'm fermenting at 70F and right now I'm at 1.050. SO I guess another SNA? I am swirling the bucket every couple days to keep the yeast in solution.I just checked the gravity and tasted the sample and it was great but like rocket fuel..... :1zhelp:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users