#1 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

Seeking advice on the practicality of buying a 30 cu ft chest freezer. Like I have posted in the past, I'd like to finagle some sort of fermentation/storage scenario, like the one below. But is 30 cu ft too big?Posted Image

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

Seeking advice on the practicality of buying a 30 cu ft chest freezer. Like I have posted in the past, I'd like to finagle some sort of fermentation/storage scenario, like the one below. But is 30 cu ft too big?Posted Image

You have got to be the first person to ask if its too big! Dude... if you have the space to accomodate the footprint, I say go for it. You never know how much space you really need until you don't have enough. If it's the right price and you've got the space...

#3 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:20 AM

You have got to be the first person to ask if its too big! Dude... if you have the space to accomodate the footprint, I say go for it. You never know how much space you really need until you don't have enough. If it's the right price and you've got the space...

+1

#4 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

The only caveat against "too big" would be the cost to run if it was one of the older thin wall high energy usage models.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64095 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:18 AM

The 30 cu. ft. models are nice. You can fit a body in there without having to scrunch them all up.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

The only caveat against "too big" would be the cost to run if it was one of the older thin wall high energy usage models.

And how much do we spend on all of our "absolutely necessary equipment"? I've got to imagine that even if it is an energy efficient model, putting the wood collar on it is going to blow any efficiency anyways.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

The 30 cu. ft. models are nice. You can fit a body in there without having to scrunch them all up.

Maybe you should change your ID to JDahmer? Lol

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

+1Keeps em nice and fresh.

#9 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

I broke down and went with the ~20 cu ft Frigidaire for $70. The folks I bought it from claimed it was about 6 years old. I hooked up the analog Johnson Controller that I bought at GreatFermentations (they matched the price from morebeer and I saved $10). (I'll start another thread regarding that purchase.) But I stuck a keg of way too smokey ale that I had sitting at room temp. Looks like I am brewing a lager tomorrow.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64095 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

they usually have the manufacture date printed on the spec label, if you're wondering how old it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users