18 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

I just bottled up my roggenbier. FG was about 1.012 so pretty dry (dry enough anyway). The beer is around 23 IBUs.So I had a little extra that I didn't have bottles ready for so I figured hey, why not just carb it up in a 2L with a carb cap. So I did some quick carbing and the beer tastes a little sweet to me right now. Is the priming sugar I put in enough to make the beer sweet if it doesn't ferment out? Or maybe is this a property of rye???

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

I doubt there's enough priming sugar to make the beer taste sweet. And it should have all fermented out anyway. The sweetness you perceive is a combination of the sweetness that's actually there and the bitterness from the hops. The more bitterness, the less sweetness you'll taste even if the beer has a fairly high FG. 23 IBUs is not very bitter and may be low enough to allow whatever residual sweetness is present to be perceived on the tastebuds.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

I doubt there's enough priming sugar to make the beer taste sweet. And it should have all fermented out anyway. The sweetness you perceive is a combination of the sweetness that's actually there and the bitterness from the hops. The more bitterness, the less sweetness you'll taste even if the beer has a fairly high FG. 23 IBUs is not very bitter and may be low enough to allow whatever residual sweetness is present to be perceived on the tastebuds.

Not yet. I just bottled it today. I was figuring even prior to fermenting out the priming sugar would not be detectable but maybe I'm wrong.

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:25 AM

In that case maybe. Priming sugar adds maybe 2-3 points to the FG.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

In that case maybe. Priming sugar adds maybe 2-3 points to the FG.

It could possibly be worse than that if my priming sugar had settled to the bottom of the bottling bucket. Could this happen? My general procedure is to dump in the priming solution and rack on top of this. I try to make sure the racking creates some swirling by placing the tube along the side of the bucket. It did take me a little longer than normal to bottle today (maybe a couple hours b/c I was interrupted).

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:35 AM

Let me get this correct. You had some leftover that couldn't go into bottles, but already had priming sugar in it. You put it in a 2 liter, slapped a carb cap on it and carbonated it. I think the unfermented priming sugar would add just enough sweetness to it. My last Denny's Rye IPA ended at 1.017. A bit sweeter than normal, but was very good!Enjoy :D

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

Let me get this correct. You had some leftover that couldn't go into bottles, but already had priming sugar in it. You put it in a 2 liter, slapped a carb cap on it and carbonated it. I think the unfermented priming sugar would add just enough sweetness to it. My last Denny's Rye IPA ended at 1.017. A bit sweeter than normal, but was very good!Enjoy :D

you got it boss. so I took the carb cap off and I'm just going to let the 2L naturally carb up and then I'll consume it first. I guess I'll have to carefully watch and maybe vent it a couple of times...ETA: this beer also had about 7-7.5oz of priming sugar for 5.75 gallons of beer.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

you got it boss. so I took the carb cap off and I'm just going to let the 2L naturally carb up and then I'll consume it first. I guess I'll have to carefully watch and maybe vent it a couple of times...ETA: this beer also had about 7-7.5oz of priming sugar for 5.75 gallons of beer.

Don't get me wrong... I don't think that there is anything wrong with force carbing it now and drinking it. You've got enough of the stuff at the desired gravity that it would be ok to have some that is just a bit different right now... unless you think it is cloyingly sweet. Is it?

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

Don't get me wrong... I don't think that there is anything wrong with force carbing it now and drinking it. You've got enough of the stuff at the desired gravity that it would be ok to have some that is just a bit different right now... unless you think it is cloyingly sweet. Is it?

yeah - I find it pretty offensive :Dapart from the priming sugar it shouldn't be tasting sweet. the most similar beer to this one that I've made would be a dunkelweizen and this had the same FG and a slightly higher OG. It was also slightly lower in IBUs. I don't find this beer to be cloying.

#10 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49874 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

It has got to be that priming sugar. 1.012 isn't an overly sweet tasting concentration of sugar.

#11 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10778 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

I'm a big fan of the 2 liter bottle with carb cap, but since I keg my leftover beer doesn't have priming sugar in it. I think tat this point your best option is to release the force carb pressure and put on the regular cap and let it carb up naturally. Most likely a day or two should be enough for the yeast to chew up the priming sugar.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

I'm a big fan of the 2 liter bottle with carb cap, but since I keg my leftover beer doesn't have priming sugar in it. I think tat this point your best option is to release the force carb pressure and put on the regular cap and let it carb up naturally. Most likely a day or two should be enough for the yeast to chew up the priming sugar.

yeah - I normally do this when I have more beer than will fit in the keg and it works great for getting an early sample of what's in store.So I poured some beer out of the 2L and it looks like it might be up around 1.02 or above now! :D I still need to let the sample degas a little more but I think we've found the culprit folks!

#13 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19269 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

Beer with priming sugar always tastes sweet to me. I taste the 1/2 bottle that's left over every time, and it's always obviously too sweet.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

Beer with priming sugar always tastes sweet to me. I taste the 1/2 bottle that's left over every time, and it's always obviously too sweet.

this was my first time :D

#15 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

yeah - I normally do this when I have more beer than will fit in the keg and it works great for getting an early sample of what's in store.So I poured some beer out of the 2L and it looks like it might be up around 1.02 or above now! :D I still need to let the sample degas a little more but I think we've found the culprit folks!

I hope your priming sugar was thoroughly integrated with the beer that got bottled. I know I've had this problem in the past.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

I hope your priming sugar was thoroughly integrated with the beer that got bottled. I know I've had this problem in the past.

I've always done it the same way pretty much with just racking on top of the priming solution and waiting 15 mins or so to let it hopefully diffuse.

#17 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

I've always done it the same way pretty much with just racking on top of the priming solution and waiting 15 mins or so to let it hopefully diffuse.

It's a good idea to gently stir it for a minute or two. Then you wouldn't need to wait the 15 minutes.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

It's a good idea to gently stir it for a minute or two. Then you wouldn't need to wait the 15 minutes.

I guess I could probably use the racking cane right?So this beer is still seriously sweet - I've learned my lesson and I won't be trying anything with priming sugar in it again! :smilielol:

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

I guess I could probably use the racking cane right?

That's what I use. I bottle from a plastic carboy with a spigot in it instead of a bucket. I put the priming syrup in first, rack the beer on top of that and then stir with the cane for a couple of minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users