#1 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

I always thought these styles were bad, the first I tried was Abita's version, which was horrible. But after trying Lagunita's Sumpin' Sumpin Wild, which is fermented with Westmalle yeast, I was surprised how good it was. Has anyone tried to brew one of these? What were your experiences? Do you have any suggestions on constructing a recipe?As a starting point I was thinking of using Jamil's BCS Belgian Pale Ale recipe as a base and replacing the hops with Amarillo, Centennial, or Simcoe.

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

I always thought these styles were bad, the first I tried was Abita's version, which was horrible. But after trying Lagunita's Sumpin' Sumpin Wild, which is fermented with Westmalle yeast, I was surprised how good it was. Has anyone tried to brew one of these? What were your experiences? Do you have any suggestions on constructing a recipe?As a starting point I was thinking of using Jamil's BCS Belgian Pale Ale recipe as a base and replacing the hops with Amarillo, Centennial, or Simcoe.

There are good American Belgians like Lil Sumpin Wild and there are definitely some that don't work at all. I have a bottle of Duvel Tripel Hop which uses Amarillo along with Saaz and Styrians, it's also dryhopped so an American influence in a classic Belgian. The versions of these type of beers I've found to work the best are ones that have a lighter body and mostly flavor aroma hops, being low on the bitterness. Magnum being so clean as a bittering hop might be a good choice for the 60 addition then hammer it with the hops you mentioned from 20 on down.

#3 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the advice. I may use a really simple grain bill and hop it like you suggested.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49875 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:46 AM

I am a bit confused by the OP. Do you mean American styles brewed with Belgian yeast?

#5 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

I am a bit confused by the OP. Do you mean American styles brewed with Belgian yeast?

It could be that simple in some cases. Others the base grains will be other than 2-row, such as a mix of pils and vienna.ETA: I believe he is mostly talking about the Belgian IPA's that have become common over the last couple of years.

Edited by cavman, 12 November 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

I think he means Belgian styles brewed with American hops. Personally I think American hops go really well in Belgian beers.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

I make an AIPA that uses WY3522 that a lot of people really like.

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49875 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:10 AM

I guess I brew this kind of stuff all the time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users