#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

Just picked up a few Templeton Rye and JD barrels from Boulevard. These barrels are seconds and were just dumped a few days ago with a beer Boulevard has done. There are no whiskey notes left in these barrels. So this shouldn't be an issue. Barrels are in great shape and smell wonderful. I'm looking for some ideas and twists on what to age in these. Of course these are going to be Wild Beer barrels. Were thinking for a first run in two of the barrels will be a Old World Porter and a Oid Bruin. If anyone has ever had the opportunity to sample New Glarus Old World Porter, then that is where our inspiration comes from. Does anyone have any other ideas on styles? They dont have to be a specified style by any means. It can have a fun twist of ingredients too. For example our current barrel is full of a BGS that used 1388 in primary then dosed with Brett B in the barrel. Something fun and exciting, but different.Lets have fun here!Posted Image

#2 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Just picked up a few Templeton Rye and JD barrels from Boulevard. These barrels are seconds and were just dumped a few days ago with a beer Boulevard has done. There are no whiskey notes left in these barrels. So this shouldn't be an issue. Barrels are in great shape and smell wonderful. I'm looking for some ideas and twists on what to age in these. Of course these are going to be Wild Beer barrels. Were thinking for a first run in two of the barrels will be a Old World Porter and a Oid Bruin. If anyone has ever had the opportunity to sample New Glarus Old World Porter, then that is where our inspiration comes from. Does anyone have any other ideas on styles? They dont have to be a specified style by any means. It can have a fun twist of ingredients too. For example our current barrel is full of a BGS that used 1388 in primary then dosed with Brett B in the barrel. Something fun and exciting, but different.Lets have fun here!Posted Image

I've never had the NG old world porter, but a soured baltic porter sounds pretty tasty.

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19279 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

If you really want to go old world, what about a smoked sour beer?

#4 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

Awesome!I'd vote for a traditional gueuze or a kriek.

#5 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

Awesome!I'd vote for a traditional gueuze or a kriek.

I'd say Gueze as well and since he has multiple barrels he can blend them.

#6 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26228 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

Liquid stupid with bugs added at around 1.025and some traditional sours as wellhave fun!

#7 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8280 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

One thing to consider is the type of beers we can make in progression, knowing that the bugs we add will be staying in the barrel permanently. If we start with one or two strains of brett, we can brew several styles with the brett alone. Later batches we can add bacteria and other critters from the bug farm, eventually leading to a lambic type cask. So knowing that we'll add only one or two types of brett, what would you brew?

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

One thing to consider is the type of beers we can make in progression, knowing that the bugs we add will be staying in the barrel permanently. If we start with one or two strains of brett, we can brew several styles with the brett alone. Later batches we can add bacteria and other critters from the bug farm, eventually leading to a lambic type cask. So knowing that we'll add only one or two types of brett, what would you brew?

Forgot to mention this. Yes, we progress our bugs with each batch. Get alot more styles of beer this way with a single barrel. Barrels in our case. Thanks for clearing this up Lee.

#9 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26228 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

Liquid stupid with bugs added at around 1.025and some traditional sours as wellhave fun!

I stand by the LS rec and would do it with either Brett A or Ca no boil mash hop Berliner may also be an interesting base to build onI also like doing a straight Brett ferment with Brett C ... Grist with pils Munich and 10% acid malt. Hopped to 15-20 IBUETA- I have a real nice house sour blend let me know if you want it for one of your barrels

Edited by EWW, 09 November 2010 - 08:04 PM.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

What about a Saison with some Brett B or something like a brown ale with Brett. I really liked Odell's Saboteur and that was just that.

#11 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

I stand by the LS rec and would do it with either Brett A or Ca no boil mash hop Berliner may also be an interesting base to build onI also like doing a straight Brett ferment with Brett C ... Grist with pils Munich and 10% acid malt. Hopped to 15-20 IBUETA- I have a real nice house sour blend let me know if you want it for one of your barrels

Berliner is one of my all time favorite styles. I could drink alot of that. I do happen to have a smacker of the WY PC Blend.What do you call a "real nice house sour blend". You have perked my interest.

What about a Saison with some Brett B or something like a brown ale with Brett. I really liked Odell's Saboteur and that was just that.

Yes. First run batches you just cannot go wrong with styles like this.Ive never had Saboteur. I better go looking for it. Thanks for the heads up.

#12 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8280 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

Saboteur is a tasty beer, very much a hybrid sour style. I'm also liking the idea of a BW, although we'd have to brew it higher gravity I suppose, so it can hold up in the barrel. We're not looking to fit into any style guidelines here, so a 5% BW is a definite possibility. Saison with brett, how can you go wrong there. Good ideas folks :rolf:

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

Saboteur is a tasty beer, very much a hybrid sour style. I'm also liking the idea of a BW, although we'd have to brew it higher gravity I suppose, so it can hold up in the barrel. We're not looking to fit into any style guidelines here, so a 5% BW is a definite possibility. Saison with brett, how can you go wrong there. Good ideas folks :rolf:

A brewery out here, White Birch, has a BW that is 6.4%. It works well at that abv. I am really curious to see how a barrel aged BW would be. All this talk on barrel beer is making me thirsty..

#14 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

Was Saboteur served at NHC pro brewer night? If it was, it was fantastic!

#15 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26228 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

My house sour culture contains the following bugs & Wee Beasties:cantillon orvalbooncuvee Renegirardinla foliecuvee de tommeommegeddonommegang beer de mars (with brett)beatificationboulevard saison brettR. BlendAvery 15i've shared it with a handful of brewers and it gives you some real nice citrus and berry notes. Let me know if you wan me to send you a few vials.

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

Wow EWW,That is a serious Bug Farm you got there buddy! Something serious to think about after the progression. Thanks for the offer!As for the second barrel Lee, I'm leaning heavily towards a No Boil BW. I have a smacker of the WY PC Blend I can step up. Its getting late in the year and a quick cereal mash with some Raw Wheat, No boil, and ferment right in the barrel is something that is easily obtainable for us. This will get the barrel through winter and in the spring we can re-evaluate.Any thoughts on that guys?

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

My house sour culture contains the following bugs & Wee Beasties:cantillon orvalbooncuvee Renegirardinla foliecuvee de tommeommegeddonommegang beer de mars (with brett)beatificationboulevard saison brettR. BlendAvery 15i've shared it with a handful of brewers and it gives you some real nice citrus and berry notes. Let me know if you wan me to send you a few vials.

WOW .. that looks tasty

#18 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26228 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:40 AM

Wow EWW,That is a serious Bug Farm you got there buddy! Something serious to think about after the progression. Thanks for the offer!As for the second barrel Lee, I'm leaning heavily towards a No Boil BW. I have a smacker of the WY PC Blend I can step up. Its getting late in the year and a quick cereal mash with some Raw Wheat, No boil, and ferment right in the barrel is something that is easily obtainable for us. This will get the barrel through winter and in the spring we can re-evaluate.Any thoughts on that guys?

Sounds like a solid plan, but I wonder about the temp at the place you are keeping the barrels. If they are stored too cool I don't think you'll see that much activity over the winter months.

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

Sounds like a solid plan, but I wonder about the temp at the place you are keeping the barrels. If they are stored too cool I don't think you'll see that much activity over the winter months.

This is always a consideration. My basement stays in the mid to upper 60's during the winter. The temp range for the PC blend is 68-72*. Id hate to have to use a heat pad on the barrel all winter. That could get a little pricey dont you think?

#20 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26228 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

This is always a consideration. My basement stays in the mid to upper 60's during the winter. The temp range for the PC blend is 68-72*. Id hate to have to use a heat pad on the barrel all winter. That could get a little pricey dont you think?

I'm not sure how effective it would be either. Wood is pretty good insulation. It may be worth emailing the yeast co. to get their thoughts on fermenting the blend on the cool side.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users