#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

We used a SS screw instead of a nail. No bee's wax needed. Here we are taking a sample of our BGS that been in barrel for 4.5 mths. We started with a 1.060 beer mashed at 158* and used WY1388 Belgian Strong in primary then transfered to the barrel. Our barrel has a friendly critter that took residence. We also added Brett B to the barrel. Pulling a sample below the pellicle is important and this technique works great.Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

Funny you posted this. I was gettign ready to order some 1.5" 4d SS nails from Mcmaster but I think I like the SS scrwe idea better. Better yet, I have a bunch at the house.How was the beer?

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:05 AM

Funny you posted this. I was gettign ready to order some 1.5" 4d SS nails from Mcmaster but I think I like the SS scrwe idea better. Better yet, I have a bunch at the house.How was the beer?

What I liked about the screw was it made a nice tight seal. Had to use a cordless drill to remove and replace it. No leakage problems what so ever. Just make sure the length is longer than the width of the wood.The beer was fantastic. Even at 4.5 mths the Brett aroma was outstanding, flavors from the Sac. strain were there, hints of oak, and of course the Brett flavors were right on the money. All flavors were layered and complex. A gentle, smooth hint of sour. We went into the barrel at 1.010 with the hopes of super attenuation. Took a refract. but haven't converted it yet to see how dry we are. No residual sweetness on the tongue. Going to leave it in barrel a little longer. Our goal was a bright, straw colored wild beer. Id say we achieved this. A side note. We used around 5% Acidulated Malt. Its not at the forefront but then again this beer has so many layers and just a small sample the jury is still out on this.

#4 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8278 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:26 AM

The beer tasted great. Beautiful color, and the body has held up nicely to the softening effects of the oak and brett flavors. Overall is it extremely well balanced for a wild brew. There is some debate as to whether or not it will continue to sour the longer it stays in the barrel, I guess we shall see. I'm also considering throwing some sour cherries into my share for an added layer of flavor.

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:33 AM

I'm also considering throwing some sour cherries into my share for an added layer of flavor.

Excellent idea. I would only do half of your cut with cherries. Then you get two different styles. If it doesn't work as planned you still have some original beer. Also remember the Noble Red with only the resident critter got more sour as time went by. Not sure if this will still hold true for the BGS or not. But history says it will.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

Thanks. Now I have to pee. :covreyes:

#7 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

Thanks. Now I have to pee. Posted Image

Posted Image Beach

#8 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

Blktre, care to post (or send me) your recipe. I've been sitting on a barrel for awhile now that I'm looking to brew something similar. Just need a push at this point. Thanks!

#9 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

Blktre, care to post (or send me) your recipe. I've been sitting on a barrel for awhile now that I'm looking to brew something similar. Just need a push at this point. Thanks!

Pretty easy.This was a 1.060 OG with help of the Brett gained another 8-10 gravity points bringing the gravity closer to 1.070. We mashed high to leave behind some goodies for the Brett B. Used WY 1388 with a rate of rise fermentation temp of 68-72*. Used a heating pad to capture and finish out at 72*. Moved to the barrel and under pitched a starter of Brett B. No sugar was used in the recipe. This is a 60g batch size but the percentages are there. Simple.80.6 100.00 lbs. Pilsener 9.7 12.00 lbs. Wheat Malt 4.8 6.00 lbs. Acidulated Malt 4.8 6.00 lbs. CaraPils/CaraFoam 10.75 oz. Hallertauer Tradition Pellet 4.41 18.5 60 min. 9.50 oz. Celia Pellet 2.00 1.5 10 min.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users