14 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:53 AM

A while back I brewed a beer with some wet hops from my yard. They were pretty loaded up with little green bugs that I think were aphids but as far as I could tell were relatively undamaged. So I left the hops out for a day or so and a lot of the aphids seemed to evacuate the hops and then I used the hops in beer. I'm sure a good number of aphids made it into the boil. The beer seems to taste normal - any reason for concern here? I'm not sure if I should tell people about this or not :stabby:

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:52 AM

A while back I brewed a beer with some wet hops from my yard. They were pretty loaded up with little green bugs that I think were aphids but as far as I could tell were relatively undamaged. So I left the hops out for a day or so and a lot of the aphids seemed to evacuate the hops and then I used the hops in beer. I'm sure a good number of aphids made it into the boil. The beer seems to taste normal - any reason for concern here? I'm not sure if I should tell people about this or not :stabby:

I understand your concern Zym but personally I would not even mention it to anyone that tries this beer. You boiled the hops anything from the aphids would have been killed during the boil. I would not mention it and not worry about it. If all taste good then you should be good to go. I say this would you tell someone that the spoon you used to stir your boiling wort fell on the floor? No worries and rock on I say.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:57 AM

ahhh - my secret aphid amber :stabby:

#4 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'm sure there's no risk, but I've found it's best not to tell people about things like this or grain moth larvae that might have been inadvertent protein adjuncts. :stabby:

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

I'm sure there's no risk, but I've found it's best not to tell people about things like this or grain moth larvae that might have been inadvertent protein adjuncts. :stabby:

yeah - seems to taste good. still carbing up but seems like a very typical american amber. malty with a bit of hop backbone and pretty easy drinking :cheers:

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68768 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

no biggie, seriously, it's bugs that eat hops, they taste like hops :cheers:i wouldn't look to close at any "organic grown" hops from North America or Europe if I were you :stabby:

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

no biggie, seriously, it's bugs that eat hops, they taste like hops :cheers:i wouldn't look to close at any "organic grown" hops from North America or Europe if I were you :stabby:

don't think I've ever bought any. my hops are essentially organic as I don't use any pesticides and for the most part they only get fertilized with manure.

#8 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

You going to dry-bug it? :stabby:

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

You going to dry-bug it? :stabby:

that would be pretty gangster, but no. I actually made it a point to make sure any of my own hops that went in got boiled for a minute to make sure there were no witnesses :cheers:

#10 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19270 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:56 AM

that would be pretty gangster, but no. I actually made it a point to make sure any of my own hops that went in got boiled for a minute to make sure there were no witnesses :covreyes:

I would have left one aphid alive, let him see his friends boiled alive, then set him free to warn other aphids about me.(Also, sometimes bugs can carry acetic acid becteria with them, so you definitely want to boil any that get into your beer.)

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

I would have left one aphid alive, let him see his friends boiled alive, then set him free to warn other aphids about me.(Also, sometimes bugs can carry acetic acid becteria with them, so you definitely want to boil any that get into your beer.)

I think it's pretty safe to assume that even boiling for a second would pretty much instantly kill these guys.

#12 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

I think it's pretty safe to assume that even boiling for a second would pretty much instantly kill these guys.

I think dave was saying to boil because the acetic acid bacteria, not sure how long the bacteria van survive that kind of heat.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:13 AM

I think dave was saying to boil because the acetic acid bacteria, not sure how long the bacteria van survive that kind of heat.

must have taken care of it b/c the beer tastes fine to me :covreyes:

#14 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Most of the aphids will bail when the hops dry. Other than that, no biggie.Commercial hops have the same issues.I guarantee that you are drinking bug guts in EVERY beer you drink.MolBasser

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:37 AM

Most of the aphids will bail when the hops dry. Other than that, no biggie.Commercial hops have the same issues.I guarantee that you are drinking bug guts in EVERY beer you drink.MolBasser

I used these hops wet :devil: :frantic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users