#1 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

I need to pick up a cold plate for to serve at wedding in August. I'm looking at one that lists 100% Aluminum casting, and interior stainless steel tubing. I assume this means it's just a block of Al around some SS coils and only SS will be touching the beer. Correct?

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

I think that's a good assumption. I'm not sure what else it would mean.

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

Word, just pulled the trigger on a cold plate & an 8-pack of kegs.

#4 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

Yup, that is how all cold plates should be constructed.If the plate you purchased is used, make sure to flush out the lines with a good cleaner (I use BLC) and then a sanitizer (I use star san) to make sure it is good to go before you try to push your beer through it.I would also recommend for you to do a dry run through to check for leaks and know about what restriction the cold plate has. On the day of the reception for you to use your cold plate, make sure you have more than enough ice there at the location, or that you brought enough ice. I have found that ice blocks work best for me with the cold plate, so I freeze my own.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the tips. I plan on pushing 5 gallons of PBW through each run followed by some Saniclean. I figure during the PBW push I'll notice any leaks in the cold plate itself. Then after building the jockey box I plan on doing a "wet run" at home with room temp kegs of carbonated beer to figure out all my pressure settings on each run & also double passes. It's a 6-pass 75-pound cold plate. I currently have 4 "spare" faucets (a ventmatic, two perlicks and a stout faucet). I'm debating making a 3 faucet jockey box and running double passes on all beers and a 6 faucet box right away. It's a three day affair, small crowd first night, but my boy wants his beer for that night. Then the big day and then the lunch the day after. I'm prepping 50 gallons for the affair, and I'll be staying at the place where it is all happening. I plan on scoping out a couple of places to buy ice when I first get there, but we may get lucky and actually have some cold storage space on site to keep kegs not in use chilled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users