#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:29 AM

I slanted my yeast Sunday afternoon (see the 'yeast recycling' thread for pics). Sunday night, maybe 6-8 hours after slanting, I didn't see any obvious changes. Last night I checked again and they definitely looked different, but it was pretty subtle. I'd say it looked like the surface of the agar was 'rough' in the area that was inoculated, but no color difference. It almost looked like etched glass, if you catch my drift.I didn't check this morning, but when I checked last night it had been 32-34 hours since inoculating an the temp has been ~70F.How long do you all leave your slants out to grow? I've seen 24 hours and 3-4 days.

#2 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:53 AM

I haven't done slants in a bit (have some sitting in my fridge but they're a couple years old now). Anyways I'd leave them out 3 days and you get tan colored (think yeast color) growth on the agar surface.

Edited by pods8, 19 May 2009 - 07:56 AM.

#3 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

Maybe 3-4 days sometime a little longer. Yeast growing on slants will produce Co2 maybe enough to pop a vial. Don't seal tight until ready to refrigerate.Posted ImagePosted Image Before putting in frig, I seal mine with electrical tape if I'm going to store several months.

#4 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

When I put yeast on a slant, it's generally from a single colony off a plate, so there's actually yeast mass to start with. I spread it out as big as is comfortable and then leave it about four days to grow before putting in the fridge, but the look is just that there's more than there was.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

Maybe 3-4 days sometime a little longer. Yeast growing on slants will produce Co2 maybe enough to pop a vial. Don't seal tight until ready to refrigerate.Posted ImagePosted Image Before putting in frig, I seal mine with electrical tape if I'm going to store several months.

Why do you have them laid down in the second pic?

#6 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:09 AM

I laid them down for the picture. Sometimes your going to have condensation in the vials laying them down well drain it off to the loose cap. Might get rid of a little of it. The condensation doesn't hurt anything other than appearance.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:44 AM

Last night they definitely looked a little more yeasty. Not quite like the picture above, but maybe halfway there. Now I'm excited. I'm officially a yeast farmer. :facepalm:

#8 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Last night they definitely looked a little more yeasty. Not quite like the picture above, but maybe halfway there. Now I'm excited. I'm officially a yeast farmer. :rolleyes:

Yeast farming is what they do in Europe or Australia. Here in the States we yeast ranch. :facepalm:

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

Yeast farming is what they do in Europe or Australia. Here in the States we yeast ranch. :facepalm:

:rolleyes:

#10 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

Congrats on getting your ranch started! What yeast did you start your ranch with? I been a Lazy rancher I just keep Kolsch and Forbidden Fruit so far. I plan to add Orval bottle dregs yeast next. I make mostly Wheats and Ryes. Love these three for the flavor they add.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:56 AM

WLP001. Boring, but useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users