• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 garageBrew30495

garageBrew30495

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:40 AM

I am new to brewing and have started with Kits and had a question about transferring wort to the carboy after the wort has been cooled down to correct temp. There always seems to be alot of hops and break at the bootom and I am not sure if this should go into the carboy or not. Should I siphon it to the carboy or use a kitchen strainer or should I not strain off the hop/break because it may effect my OG or flavor?Thanks in advance for any advice on this subject.Gragebrew30495

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

I am new to brewing and have started with Kits and had a question about transferring wort to the carboy after the wort has been cooled down to correct temp. There always seems to be alot of hops and break at the bootom and I am not sure if this should go into the carboy or not. Should I siphon it to the carboy or use a kitchen strainer or should I not strain off the hop/break because it may effect my OG or flavor?Thanks in advance for any advice on this subject.Gragebrew30495

you could try to whirlpool the chilled wort so that most of the junk settles in the middle of the kettle and then siphon. I've never had much luck doing this. I say just dump it all in. Currently I use buckets so I can use a paint strainer bag to filter the wort (a fairly coarse filter).

#3 beerturtle

beerturtle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationThe 717

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

Not straining will not affect your OG or flavor, noticeably anyway. I'll echo Zymological's thoughts and add that I use an Autho-siphon and a paint strainer bag, which typically removes maybe half of the break and other stuff. I just tie a bag around the siphon and push the wort into my carboy. There is a theory that transferring some of the break into the fermenter is beneficial for the yeast. I don't know. I just let everything ferment out and settle and then rack off this for reasonably clear beer.

#4 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5021 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

I've done both. Tried to keep everything out... and just dumped everything in.... Can't say it makes a whole lot of difference in the final product!The big difference might be cleaner yeast if you intend to reuse it.Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users