9 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:54 AM

So my keg jumper has ball lock QDs that can be unscrewed. So to transfer beer into my keg I unscrew one ball lock QD and hook up a hose barb that attaches to a hose that attaches to my racking cane. I believe the barb I'm hooking up to the jumper is slightly leaking. I believe the problem is that the ball lock QD has a plastic part that helps the two pieces seal up and the barb does not. I took a pic and was wondering if anyone could confirm if this was indeed the issue and if there was anything I could do to alleviate it. The leak isn't major. I think I probably lost about 1 oz of beer while kegging.on the left is the ball lock QD that I take off. On the right is the barb with attached hose that I put in its place that goes to my racking cane.Posted Image

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

So my keg jumper has ball lock QDs that can be unscrewed. So to transfer beer into my keg I unscrew one ball lock QD and hook up a hose barb that attaches to a hose that attaches to my racking cane. I believe the barb I'm hooking up to the jumper is slightly leaking. I believe the problem is that the ball lock QD has a plastic part that helps the two pieces seal up and the barb does not. I took a pic and was wondering if anyone could confirm if this was indeed the issue and if there was anything I could do to alleviate it. The leak isn't major. I think I probably lost about 1 oz of beer while kegging.on the left is the ball lock QD that I take off. On the right is the barb with attached hose that I put in its place that goes to my racking cane.Posted Image

My assessment is that yes the couplers do not match up for a tight fit. Your black liquid QD should be domed shaped out while the other connector looks shaped the same way too. My thought is can't you change out your connector on the right with this QD Connector Look at the screw connector on the grey QD, they have those for the liquid QD's to. Your connector to the black QD should all be concave and sit flush with the domed top to the black QD. Since they don't sit flush that is probably causing some leaking for you. Hope that helps thats my assessment for you. Good Luck!!The part I mean is the hose barb fyi in case that sounded confusing above. Mike

#3 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

Zym, Your QD is fine, you need a Flare Fitting Washer in any metal to metal flare connection. (NOT, in the least bit, endorsing the company just a handy link)Beach

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

Zym, Your QD is fine, you need a Flare Fitting Washer in any metal to metal flare connection. (NOT, in the least bit, endorsing the company just a handy link)Beach

Actually the guy at my LHBS knew what I needed when I went there this morning. Kind of expensive ($1.25) but I'm guessing I'd pay at least that in shipping to buy one online so good enough deal to me. Now the question is, is there a way to permanently attach this thing so I don't lose it!?

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

You shouldn't need a flare fitting washers unless the flares are damaged or aren't matched properly (there are 45° and 37° flare fittings, fittings used for beer/co2 are 45°). Flare fittings are designed to be a metal to metal seal. I used to use the teflon flare washers on all my flare fittings, then I realized it was unnecessary. It's good to keep some on hand though, in case you do have a problem.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

You shouldn't need a flare fitting washers unless the flares are damaged or aren't matched properly (there are 45° and 37° flare fittings, fittings used for beer/co2 are 45°). Flare fittings are designed to be a metal to metal seal. I used to use the teflon flare washers on all my flare fittings, then I realized it was unnecessary. It's good to keep some on hand though, in case you do have a problem.

well - they were maybe a slightly diff profile so that could have been it. either way the flare washer seems to make it seal up better than it was.

#7 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

Actually the guy at my LHBS knew what I needed when I went there this morning. Kind of expensive ($1.25) but I'm guessing I'd pay at least that in shipping to buy one online so good enough deal to me. Now the question is, is there a way to permanently attach this thing so I don't lose it!?

When I order something on line I get about 10 of these. They are a lot cheaper than LHBS. Northern Brewer has them for .10 cents.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

When I order something on line I get about 10 of these. They are a lot cheaper than LHBS. Northern Brewer has them for .10 cents.

let's just say I was doing my part to stimulate the local economy then and keep an LHBS in business.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

let's just say I was doing my part to stimulate the local economy then and keep an LHBS in business.

Those are the type of things that the LHBS really kills you on. I think a lot of them just buy stuff at the hardware store then mark it up 100%. I've seen some that had stuff on the shelves still in McMaster bags.

#10 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

My LHBS is over an hour away. I shop there when I am in the area but I can't use them exclusively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users