#1 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19086 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

I'm a lazy brewer, but do like brewing. I recently invested in a corded drill ($45) to expedite the grain crushing process. Given that this saves me 45 minutes to an hour (I do 10 gallon batches), I'm way more excited to brew now. Say I'm willing to spend a little dough ($100?) to upgrade my setup, what would make the biggest improvement in quality of the beer, or in significant time or effort savings? Here's my setup:1. I use tap water. The water here is quite soft, and the lazy guy in me just chucks pH 5.2 in the mash to make sure everything comes out OK. This is a relict of previously living in an area with poor, minerally water.2. Can't remember the BTUs of my burner - I think 65k. I find myself waiting on it occasionally, but not a huge deal.3. I mash in an Ice Cube cooler, batch sparge, SS braid "manifold". I suppose I could build a better manifold so I could do a modified fly sparge. I doubt this would make much difference other than a couple of efficiency points.4. Grain grinding. I expect to take some flak here. I use a Corona mill. I get good-enough efficiency (75%), never have stuck mashes or problems with astringency. Yet, the arguments for using a roller mill seem to make sense. I don't remember any difference between beers made from this grain and those from a buddy's roller mill, but it's not like I did a formal experiment.5. Transfers. I don't have any pumps of any sort. All hot water transfers are done by hand. This can be a pain at times.6. Fermentation. I use plastic bucket fermenters. I have carboys but hate using them. I only use them when wanting to do some long-term aging but I don't want to bottle or take up a keg. I usually do three weeks in primary and then transfer to keg.7. Wort chilling. I have a 25' immersion chiller. As you might imagine, it takes awhile to cool 10 gallon batches. About 40 minutes I think. Fortunately the water here is always pretty cold. I suppose a counterflow or plate chiller would cut 30 minutes off my brewday.8. Aeration. I don't do any "formal" aeration and never have. I've never had a stuck fermentation. My aeration occurs when filling my fermenters from my keggle. There's quite a bit of splashing involved. This has always been sufficient to prevent the yeast crapping out but is perhaps not optimal.Where would I get the best bang for my buck here?

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

Best bang for the buck would be some fermentation temp control, search craigslist for a freezer and a controller.

#3 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19086 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Good point, that's something I forgot to mention.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Best bang for the buck would be some fermentation temp control, search craigslist for a freezer and a controller.

if I had to move 10 gallons around - yeup!

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

+1 You can brew quality beer over and over again with good temperature control. I say go that route too if you have the space for a chest freezer or fridge. Temp controller is a must for it as well. You won't be disappointed.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:26 PM

I recently came into some birthday money and have been wondering the same. I'm thinking that I should get an aeration valve and stone. If anything left over, get a Erlenmeyer and some more stir bars to go with that nice new stir plate I made. (I forgot to post pics, but will get some posted soon) I also need at least one more keg to have on hand.

#7 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

+1 You can brew quality beer over and over again with good temperature control. I say go that route too if you have the space for a chest freezer or fridge. Temp controller is a must for it as well. You won't be disappointed.

I have to go with cavman & nc one this one. I am very happy with my chest freezer & RancoBeach

#8 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19086 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

Chest freezer might be a tough sell to SWMBO - space-wise, not money-wise. And I'd probably agree with her. We've been talking about getting a chest freezer for food; it would be kind of weird having two chest freezers in one room, one of them empty and unplugged most of the time. And I already have a small kegerator. Seems like a lot of refrigeration devices.But that does resonate with me well. My last batch was less than optimal precisely because of lack of temperature control (got too warm, ended up pretty yeasty and estery).*scratches chin*

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

Chest freezer might be a tough sell to SWMBO - space-wise, not money-wise. And I'd probably agree with her. We've been talking about getting a chest freezer for food; it would be kind of weird having two chest freezers in one room, one of them empty and unplugged most of the time. And I already have a small kegerator. Seems like a lot of refrigeration devices.But that does resonate with me well. My last batch was less than optimal precisely because of lack of temperature control (got too warm, ended up pretty yeasty and estery).*scratches chin*

When I put together my kegerator my wife asked me for a small freezer for food. I followed her request but She had her chance and its now my chill down/hops freezer and not much food. I understand your thoughts. The garage is my playland and sure I am crazy I have 4 freezers that I use too.

#10 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

When I put together my kegerator my wife asked me for a small freezer for food. I followed her request but She had her chance and its now my chill down/hops freezer and not much food. I understand your thoughts. The garage is my playland and sure I am crazy I have 4 freezers that I use too.

I have 2 chest freezers and 2 refrigerators in my brewery/garage. All for beer, but, no wife to object about it.Posted Image Beach

#11 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

I also vote for temp control on your fermenation. I wish they made a college size fridge that a carboy/bucket could fit in. I use a kegerator fridge to ferment in and since that is usually full I end up serving out of the garage fridge with cobra taps.

#12 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19086 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

Of course, this time of year, with it cooling off, I keep my house at 63 degrees when the heater's on (58 while we're gone and while we're sleeping). The basement, where I try to keep the beer, runs 3-4 degrees cooler than the thermostat location. If anything, temp control for the next 6 months would entail a heater rather than a fridge or freezer...

#13 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

Gosh, I'm cheap... I'm lucky I even have a Barley Crusher. If I were you, I'd blow the $100 on something non-brewing related and stick with the setup you've already got. How's that for an answer. ;)

#14 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

I gotta vote for the Barley Crusher,my Corona Mill has been not used forever.The temp control would also be good,Or another fridge.

#15 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

Grain millpump

#16 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

My vote is for temperature control.One of the best things I have ever done to improve my beer and my set upand the OP's are almost the same.

#17 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

One more vote for temperature control. If better tasting beer is your goal, this is key.I prefer a fridge with a temperature control for this purpose, because it's easier to to take the fermenter in out of a fridge than a chest freezer. Plus, you won't have the problem of condensation accumulating. You can usually find an old fridge very cheap, like $50 or less.

#18 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

I'll vote for temp control too. One of the best things I have done to improve quality. Pump would be next. With 10 gal batches I don't want to be out of commission because I burned myself or messed up my back trying to lift to much (spilling 10 gal would be tragic though).

#19 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19086 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

I'll vote for temp control too. One of the best things I have done to improve quality. Pump would be next. With 10 gal batches I don't want to be out of commission because I burned myself or messed up my back trying to lift to much (spilling 10 gal would be tragic though).

Yeah, I think this is the way I'll go. Maybe an old fridge and a temp controller, should be less than $150. But how do people do fine temp control in the winter, when the temp may actually be colder than the desired temp for ales? I suppose I could use a water bath and an aquarium heater.I agree pump might be second, or at least a better way to do gravity. As it is I occasionally heft my keggle with 12 gallons of wort. I don't find it that difficult strength-wise; I just mainly worry about herniating a disk or worse. I'll have to think on that and how to make it all work best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users