- - - - -

Samichlaus, Rochefort, Utah, etc...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_elkshadow_*

*_Guest_elkshadow_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

Most people know Utah is infamous for its Draconian alcohol laws. So when a new liquor store opened up in Hurricane near my home here in Zion, I thought "Oh great, another store that will have the exact same selection as every other state store in Utah." Well imagine my surprise when I found a lot of very high end beers that I haven't seen anywhere in this corner of Utah. They have the regulars like Orval, Duvel, Chimay, etc... but then they also have some more rare ones (to me anyway) such as Piraat, Rochefort (6,8 &10), Traquair and the mother of all lagers Samichlaus, which I'm actually enjoying at the moment. They also have every flavor of Unibroue which is huge in my book. They even have some regional beers from Germany, Czech and much of Asia. And I don't mean the usual Sapporo in the huge can. I mean beers I've never seen except high end geek spots. Names escape me now but Tiger was one. I knew a guy from Vietnam who said Tiger was the best beer. It looked like yellow water to me so I passed. And of course they have the usual SA, SN, Mirror Pond Pale, Anderson Valley, etc... Anyway, nice selection for Utah right?I was shocked to see all this awesome beer in a store in Utah. It's also very nice to taste some of the Salt Lake area micro beers that have the correct amount of alcohol in them for their styles. The prices are commensurate with being one of maybe 5 beer geeks in a 200 mile radius. High end beers like Sami or Rochefort are $5 a bottle. All domestics run between 1.37 a bottle and 1.75 a bottle. Any import (even Newcastle) is at least 2.25 a bottle. I know cost per bottle because every Utah store is a by-the-bottle store. 1 or 50, same price per bottle.Long story short, I ended up spending about $174 there. I bought a few bottles of liquor too but I had a good $120 in beer. So tonight it's a Rochefort 10 and a Samichlaus and some sleep. After drinking beers like this regularly, I'm thinking of 7% IPAs as "lighter." As in "Well, I should get a 6er of Red Tail or something just for something to drink." Overall, I'd say Sami is the best beer I've ever had. The Rochefort is widely considered in the top 3 or 5 best beers in the world but Sami is a rare treat that lives up to the hype. Cheers!!!

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1500 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:23 AM

Good to see our neighbor to the west finally coming around B) I'd heard that there was some plan to make Utah 'less weird' in an attempt to bring in more tourism. All in all I wouldn't say your prices are that far off the mark. You can expect to pay $7-9 around here for a 6 pack of a good micro and with the Belgians sky is the limit. I've been eying the bottles of Samichlaus my local store stocks but haven't bought one yet.And Elk, good to see you back :unsure:

#3 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

Yea those prices are not that bad at all.

#4 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

I am currently halfway through my first Samichlaus experience and all I can say is "wow". This stuff is dangerously delicious.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

My first thought when I saw the title was, "One of these things does not belong with the others." Glad to see your beer options are on the upswing. :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users