#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

Anyone here know what the April-June 2009 Wyeast Private Collection will bring out for us brewers? I thought I heard something Brett related but not sure. Just thought I would ask April 1 is almost here.

#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

Not exactly insider knowledge since I'm pulling it out of an ad...BRETT FUSION3763 Roeselare Ale Blend3789 Trappist Blend5151 Brettanomyces claussinii

#3 notwoohoo

notwoohoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

I'm looking forward for the claussinii for a 100% brett beer I have in the works...

#4 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19227 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

Roeselare time!

#5 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

Grumble grumble. Apparently the only brewers who matter to Wyeast are those doing Belgians.

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Grumble grumble. Apparently the only brewers who matter to Wyeast are those doing Belgians.

They do themes. Last quarter was High Gravity, and the quarter before was English Ale. Now it's Brett Fusion.

Edited by chuck_d, 29 March 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#7 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

I will buy all three to play with this year.Mashman

#8 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2666 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

I've never made a Brett beer, and could be interestied to try, but I worry so much about getting something in my system that I can't get rid of. Would I have to change out / throw away hoses and such? Maybe I'll start a new topic on this.

#9 notwoohoo

notwoohoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

I've never made a Brett beer, and could be interestied to try, but I worry so much about getting something in my system that I can't get rid of. Would I have to change out / throw away hoses and such? Maybe I'll start a new topic on this.

For my pLambics, I pitch the bugs in secondary after using a neutral primary strain. The only time they are in tubing is when they are racked to a corney. If you are concerned with contamination, I'd just go with a 1:10 bleach soak for 10 minutes followed by a thorough rinse.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Roeselare time!

Amen! By the way, I know from experience that this blend will last for a year in the smack pack. Two years ago, I bought a smack pack of Roeselare and didn't use it for another year. The pack swelled just fine and I fermented a Flanders Red with it. This year, I'm going to buy two packs and I'll use one this year for another Flanders then save the other for another batch next year, just in case they don't release it again next year.

#11 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

Amen! By the way, I know from experience that this blend will last for a year in the smack pack. Two years ago, I bought a smack pack of Roeselare and didn't use it for another year. The pack swelled just fine and I fermented a Flanders Red with it. This year, I'm going to buy two packs and I'll use one this year for another Flanders then save the other for another batch next year, just in case they don't release it again next year.

Greg is wise. I will do the same.I will get the brett strain and do 10 gal of saison. One with some some saison strain and one with brett. I know. Very original.Hell, may as will get the trappist strain as well.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

Stand by for July and the return of WY2450! :sarcasm:

#13 DrunkenPanther

DrunkenPanther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

Nice! I finally used my Roeselare from last year about 4 months ago. I slanted it as well, in case I wanted to do another before it came back around....said that, I am never sure about slanting blends like that......anyone have any success on slanting crud as well as yeast?

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

Oh 2450 coming back in July. I will definitely be in for that again. Denny your Rye IPA was awesome with that yeast and my buddy loved it too. I see another batch of that this summer then as well. 2450 got used for a few Porters here as well. Looking the the up and coming though. I think the Trappist catches my eye. I have 50lbs of FB Pils that I need to rock some Belgians with still too.

#15 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Stand by for July and the return of WY2450! :sarcasm:

Golly, Denny, #2450 seems to have a certain someone's name all over it!

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

I should have a local, year-round source for 2450 soon. I'll keep you posted.

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

Golly, Denny, #2450 seems to have a certain someone's name all over it!

Golly!Mtn, that's good news! Looks like there's a really good chance Wyeast will bring it back year round, too.

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Very good news I think. Roselare is great stuff. Is 3789 an Orval blend? I can't seem to find any info on it. Very cool if it is, since I had some bret saison planned for soon.

#19 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Does anyone know if these can be frozen? I'm going to be setting up a yeast bank soon since I'm in Canada, and I'm a huge fan of Lambics.

#20 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49865 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

You cannot freeze these and expect good things... At least not by just simply putting a smackpack in the freezer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users