#1 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Anyone going to Nerax North this year? Should be a good time as usual, being held at the Tap in Haverhill which won a Gold at GABF with their Alt this year. No beer list available yet but details are here https://nerax.org/north/

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:45 AM

You going? I think I might go on Saturday afternoon. The wife is hosting a 'Lia Sophia' party at the house...whatever the hell that is. I need a good excuse to get the F out.

#3 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

You going? I think I might go on Saturday afternoon. The wife is hosting a 'Lia Sophia' party at the house...whatever the hell that is. I need a good excuse to get the F out.

I'll be there on Saturday. The beer lists are now on the website as well.

#4 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

Every brewer that can get to one of these NERAX events should go. Think of it as a required (and delicious) part of your beer education. You'll learn as much about British beer in an afternoon at one of these things as a week in England. These aren't beers that you're going to be able to find anywhere else.NERAX North is accessible by train from Boston and Southern New Hampshire and Maine!

#5 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19181 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

Every brewer that can get to one of these NERAX events should go. Think of it as a required (and delicious) part of your beer education. You'll learn as much about British beer in an afternoon at one of these things as a week in England. These aren't beers that you're going to be able to find anywhere else.NERAX North is accessible by train from Boston and Southern New Hampshire and Maine!

I'm busy this weekend, but I'd like to second Malzig's comment about getting to NERAX.Another option is to volunteer at a NERAX event. After they shut down in the evenings, the staff parties are fantastic -- sitting around with 20+ beer enthusiasts and 60+ firkins of cask ale and some pizza makes a great evening.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:21 AM

I'm busy this weekend, but I'd like to second Malzig's comment about getting to NERAX.Another option is to volunteer at a NERAX event. After they shut down in the evenings, the staff parties are fantastic -- sitting around with 20+ beer enthusiasts and 60+ firkins of cask ale and some pizza makes a great evening.

just checking out the website regarding volunteering - what is a steward??

#7 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19181 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

I'm trying to remember the different roles. Here is what I think the roles are:Front desk: greet people as they come in, sell ticket and glasses, etc. The only role where you sit down the whole time.Bartender: serving beers to guests, this is the most work but also the most fun (people are really happy when you hand them a beer, you get a lot of smiles). This is the most interesting and least boring, but unfortunately, you aren't allowed to drink as a bartender.Barback: gopher behind the bar. You make sure that the bartenders all have enough water to rinse the glasses and buckets to empty them into. This is a job of 5 minutes of work, 10 minutes of waiting. You have time to sip on a beer, and are never without something to do for long enough to get really bored.Steward: Stand next to the door that nobody is supposed to go through but which doesn't lock. When somebody drops and breaks a glass, you clean it up. Give people directions to the bathroom, recommend beers to strangers, etc.I've done Bartender, Barback and Steward, although I've never manned the front desk. Somebody better at talking to strangers than I am might enjoy Steward. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed bartending, but it's a lot of work which is why I like to alternate bartending with barback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users