#1 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

Hey guys im about to brew my Mint Chocolate stout for x-mas, my question is about the Alpha acids in hops. It calls for one in a half oz cascades at 5.4% my cascades are 5%, it also calles for half oz of Hallertauer at 3% my Hallertauer are 4.7%. Seeing as my Alpha acids are alittle off do you think I should adjust my hops at all? Also I am now using a Bazooka screen in my brew kettle, can I stop using hop bags or is it still a good idea to use hop bags?Thanks guys.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:33 AM

Hey guys im about to brew my Mint Chocolate stout for x-mas, my question is about the Alpha acids in hops. It calls for one in a half oz cascades at 5.4% my cascades are 5%, it also calles for half oz of Hallertauer at 3% my Hallertauer are 4.7%. Seeing as my Alpha acids are alittle off do you think I should adjust my hops at all? Also I am now using a Bazooka screen in my brew kettle, can I stop using hop bags or is it still a good idea to use hop bags?Thanks guys.

don't know about the screen/bag question. I'd only adjust the bittering hops to get the IBUs right. the finishing hops can probably be left the same. what is the hopping schedule like?

#3 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25629 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:03 AM

You can adjust the hops to compensate for the lower AA.There is HBU Home Bitterness Unit. It allows you to substitute different hops or adjust for various AA levels.If your recipe calls for 1 oz of 6% AA hops, that equals 6 HBU. 1 x 6 = 6If your recipe calls for 2 oz of 4% AA hops, that equals 8 HBU. 2 x 4 = 8If your recipe calls for 1.5 oz of 8% AA hops, that equals 12 HBU. 1.5 x 8 = 12In you case, 1.5 oz of 5.4% AA equals 8.1 HBU. To calculate a new amount 8.1 HBU/5.0% AA = 1.62 oz. What you have to weigh out your hops? Can your scale resolve to .02 oz of hops? Get as close as you can.For the bag question, that is a bit tricky. There were 2 or 3 models available. You have to experiment with the bazooka screen and see how it works.If you are using an immersion chiller, try it without the hop bags. If your bazooka gets impossibly clogged, you can always pour or bail or scoop the cooled wort out of the kettle. A pain, but it is a plan that can work.If you are using a counter flow chiller and it gets clogged, then you are setting your self up for brew day pain and frustration.Some say hop bags reduce hop utilization. Makes sense. How much reduction takes place? I have never seen any test results. The common number used is a 10% reduction.When I use hop bags, I consider the recipe and beer. IPA? I dump more than 10%. What is the worse that can happen? I will make a really bitter IPA. Yeah that would suck. :devil: In your mint stout recipe, I would error in the other direction. I want the mint & chocolate & stout roast to shine. Covering it up with too much bitterness would be a shame. I would use hop bags and stick with the 8.1 HBU/1.62 oz.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:32 AM

You can adjust the hops to compensate for the lower AA.There is HBU Home Bitterness Unit. It allows you to substitute different hops or adjust for various AA levels.If your recipe calls for 1 oz of 6% AA hops, that equals 6 HBU. 1 x 6 = 6If your recipe calls for 2 oz of 4% AA hops, that equals 8 HBU. 2 x 4 = 8If your recipe calls for 1.5 oz of 8% AA hops, that equals 12 HBU. 1.5 x 8 = 12In you case, 1.5 oz of 5.4% AA equals 8.1 HBU. To calculate a new amount 8.1 HBU/5.0% AA = 1.62 oz. What you have to weigh out your hops? Can your scale resolve to .02 oz of hops? Get as close as you can.For the bag question, that is a bit tricky. There were 2 or 3 models available. You have to experiment with the bazooka screen and see how it works.If you are using an immersion chiller, try it without the hop bags. If your bazooka gets impossibly clogged, you can always pour or bail or scoop the cooled wort out of the kettle. A pain, but it is a plan that can work.If you are using a counter flow chiller and it gets clogged, then you are setting your self up for brew day pain and frustration.Some say hop bags reduce hop utilization. Makes sense. How much reduction takes place? I have never seen any test results. The common number used is a 10% reduction.When I use hop bags, I consider the recipe and beer. IPA? I dump more than 10%. What is the worse that can happen? I will make a really bitter IPA. Yeah that would suck. :devil: In your mint stout recipe, I would error in the other direction. I want the mint & chocolate & stout roast to shine. Covering it up with too much bitterness would be a shame. I would use hop bags and stick with the 8.1 HBU/1.62 oz.

would you adjust finishing hops though? they are there to provide flavor/aroma, not IBUs. I don't think AA levels are really indicative of flavor/aroma levels of the hop.

#5 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

Sounds like your following someone's recipe.You should use a brewing program and you can adjust the alphas yourself.I usually use https://www.tastybrew.com/ you can formulate in the calculator section.Also, i think some sites have an adjustment for hop bags.I beleive you lose some bitterness with them.I like the naked hop toss,but my brewing system might be different then yours.Good luck.

#6 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25629 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

would you adjust finishing hops though? they are there to provide flavor/aroma, not IBUs. I don't think AA levels are really indicative of flavor/aroma levels of the hop.

The only factor in play is AA%. So it solves for only the most basic of a hop strategy. You can do use it for any hop addition. Yes, there are many variables in hop additions that determine the final beer product.When you go from one variety to another, you can use the basic HBU formula. I suggest you consider the characteristic of each hop in play. This comes down to the "art" of the homebrewer.

#7 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

+1, alpha acid % is just for bittering. Flavor/aroma is definitely different, but still not well-understood.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:18 AM

+1, alpha acid % is just for bittering. Flavor/aroma is definitely different, but still not well-understood.

indeed - nailing a similar falvor/aroma with different hops from batch to batch is really tough I think.

#9 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

Wow guys thanks for all the great info,I do use a cfc I will probly spend the two dollars and get two hop bagsthe hop schedule is a 60 min and 15 min. I will let u guysknow how the beer turns out. Just made my yeast starterhow many days do u guys let ur yeast starters go forbefore brew day??? Thanks again

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

Wow guys thanks for all the great info,I do use a cfc I will probly spend the two dollars and get two hop bagsthe hop schedule is a 60 min and 15 min. I will let u guysknow how the beer turns out. Just made my yeast starterhow many days do u guys let ur yeast starters go forbefore brew day??? Thanks again

I've been using a CFC with over 10oz of hops (10 gal batch) multiple times lately. No problems with the 3/8" tubing clogging so far and the hops are coming through much better than when they were bagged.Starters - usually a couple days, sometimes longer and at least another 20 hours to chill and decant. I try to start them early enough that they will be done in plenty of time. I like to let them ferment out

#11 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

I've been using a CFC with over 10oz of hops (10 gal batch) multiple times lately. No problems with the 3/8" tubing clogging so far and the hops are coming through much better than when they were bagged.Starters - usually a couple days, sometimes longer and at least another 20 hours to chill and decant. I try to start them early enough that they will be done in plenty of time. I like to let them ferment out

Djinkc, so I made my starter today I was hoping to brew on Wednesday, you think this would be ok? Or do you think I should wait till the weekend?Thanks

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Well, this thread kicked my butt in gear and I made a starter tonight. I plan on brewing after work on Thursday or Friday - that usually gives me plenty of time. When you brew depends. Some don't mind throwing in a starter at high krausen. I don't because it's on a stir plate and I know the liquor is oxidized. So I chill and decant. But the stirplate will let it finish faster too. Plenty of other brewers pitch the whole thing at high krausen and are happy. Since my kids are all out of the house I can change brewday if I don't think a starter is ready the way I do it. Does it make a difference? Maybe a little, but brewing life gets easier when you get older.............

#13 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

Well, this thread kicked my butt in gear and I made a starter tonight. I plan on brewing after work on Thursday or Friday - that usually gives me plenty of time. When you brew depends. Some don't mind throwing in a starter at high krausen. I don't because it's on a stir plate and I know the liquor is oxidized. So I chill and decant. But the stirplate will let it finish faster too. Plenty of other brewers pitch the whole thing at high krausen and are happy. Since my kids are all out of the house I can change brewday if I don't think a starter is ready the way I do it. Does it make a difference? Maybe a little, but brewing life gets easier when you get older.............

Yea I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old it can get tricky.what are you planning on brewing?I would like to do a beer exchange and get someinput on my beer I feel I've learned alot. Is there anyone planning a beer exchange next month or so?

#14 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25629 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

Djinkc, so I made my starter today I was hoping to brew on Wednesday, you think this would be ok? Or do you think I should wait till the weekend?Thanks

When it comes to homebrewing processes you have:Claas A - OptimumClass B - Close enough/works for meClass C - You messed up, your beer is ruinedHomebrewers are a finicky worrisome lot. They tend to think of you do not achieve A, you jump to C.If you do not go all out, 100%, your beer is going to suck. At your next party guys will be doing spit takes and screaming, "What is this swill you served me? Dude. Are you trying to poison me?" IMO. There is a wide world of homebrewing that falls under Class B. Yeast and starters is one of my favorite Class B debates.The zymot rule of thumb, "Do the best you can with the resources available to you. Enjoy the process of making beer."If you made a starter on Monday and brew on Wednesday, you will be fine. Is it optimum? Do not worry about. Enjoy you mid-week brew day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users