#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Did S.A. change the recipe on Boston Lager? The last few I've had were very yellow and not how I remember them. They were more like S.A. Light. Boston Lager used to be one of my favorites but after the last few, I dunno. I thought it may have been a fluke but after having a few of the same they may have entered the realm of suckage....

#2 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

I'll call my buddy, but I doubt he'll tell me.MolBasser

#3 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

I'll call my buddy, but I doubt he'll tell me.MolBasser

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed it. I doubt he will tell you either but something is different. There is a huge lack in crystal malt and finishing/dry hops...

#4 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

Does Sam Adams offer a Pale or APA type beer? I don't think they do, and since this is the beer I've liked the past 3 to 4 years it is the reason I've not drank much SA.

#5 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

They have a pale ale. I think.MolBasser

#6 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

They have a Pale which is more of an English style but just came out with Lattitude IPA. It's very good and about time....ETA: I'm sipping Flying Dog Raging Bitch IPA tonight and it's the shit, yo!

Edited by Brian72, 15 October 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#7 Ramkisoon

Ramkisoon

Milliner Defecator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26044 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Could it be the contract brewers in Cincy?

#8 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

https://www.samuelad...9e5a136f910Here it is. Does not sound like the kind of "citrusy" pale I'd dig.

#9 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

Huh? I would think the Q.C. would be the same all around but ya never know.... The last few I've had have sucked!

#10 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

https://www.samuelad...b7-69e5a136f910Here it is. Does not sound like the kind of "citrusy" pale I'd dig.

No, The Pale is an English style. Way different from an APA or an IPA. Check out the 48* lattitide IPA. It's so worth it...

#11 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

https://www.samuelad...6806c0eeebffNow that looks like something I might like of theirs. Probably hard to find in Iowa, might have to look for on next trip to Cinci.

#12 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

https://www.samuelad...38-6806c0eeebffNow that looks like something I might like of theirs. Probably hard to find in Iowa, might have to look for on next trip to Cinci.

I doubt it, we have shitloads of it in Peoria...

#13 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43082 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:12 PM

for the record, if forced I'd rather drink SAL than regular SA.... If imma gonna drink this crap, I dont want to waste the calories... Posted Image

Edited by KaiserSoze, 15 October 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

i've had a Boston Lager recently and it was the same as it ever was.

#15 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:40 AM

I always preferred the Boston Ale, but nobody carries it on draft. Boston Lager is basically an American macro lager with premium ingredients instead of crap, as it always has been. If you accept it as such, it is a good beer as what it is. If you expect to compete with more adventurous stuff, you'll be disappointed.

#16 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:36 AM

There is one Wing restaurant here that has SA and Yuengling as their "good" beer. That is the only time I drink SA, if then. I don't want to pay a premium for a ok beer. I do like to ask the waiter which SA they have, I get strange looks and they have to go check.

#17 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

Boston Lager is basically an American macro lager with premium ingredients instead of crap, as it always has been. If you accept it as such, it is a good beer as what it is. If you expect to compete with more adventurous stuff, you'll be disappointed.

I agree with this but, we have to all admit that the Boston Beer Co was a craft-brewing trailblazer back in the 80's just the same as SN. In the end you are comparing two completely different styles, the old apples to oranges bit. SN has the citrus hoppy thing going on and with the SA Boston Lager with the noble hop characteristics . I believe both are very good beers in and of themselves. Although I do find it ironic every APA I've ever had is just emulating the SN APA style. SN set the standard of the american pale ale and I would go as far to say that the definition of the BJCP APA is based off of SN Pale Ale and it being the prime example of the style.

#18 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

I always preferred the Boston Ale, but nobody carries it on draft. Boston Lager is basically an American macro lager with premium ingredients instead of crap, as it always has been. If you accept it as such, it is a good beer as what it is. If you expect to compete with more adventurous stuff, you'll be disappointed.

sorry double post

#19 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29315 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

i am pretty sure that they ended up purchasing the brewery so it is no longer contracted brewed.

#20 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

i am pretty sure that they ended up purchasing the brewery so it is no longer contracted brewed.

Samuel Adams is an American brand of beer. It is produced by the Boston Beer Company (NYSE: SAM) brewing company, founded in 1984 by Jim Koch, Harry M. Rubin, and Lorenzo Lamadrid in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. The beers were originally contract brewed by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company and others, though today, over 95% of its beer is brewed in its own breweries located in Boston, Cincinnati and Pennsylvania. The brand name of Samuel Adams (often abbreviated to Sam Adams, even in advertisements), was chosen in honor of Samuel Adams, an American patriot famous for his role in the American Revolution and Boston Tea Party. According to tradition, he was also a brewer.[1] It is now the largest American-owned brewery, after Anheuser-Busch was sold to InBev in 2008.[2]Took that from WikipediaMike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users