#1 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

I've been working on getting the parts together to add a beer gas tap to my keezer. I'm getting ready to brew a robust porter and my goal is to have the set-up ready to go when the beer is ready.Faucet- checkGas/Cylinder- checkRegulator-need, I've been looking on ebay, any sugestions?Gas & liquid lines- is 1/4" tubing ok for gas in and 3/16" beer line for serving?Carbing- I presently carb with a stainless stone, I was thinking of carbing to around 1.8 vol on CO2 then switching to the beer gas for serving to conserve gasServing pressure- no clue really, I read somewhere a guy was serving at 28psi with a 75/25 beer gas blendAny help on this one?Thanks, Beach

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

I see no problems with what you've listed above. As far as the regulator, you can get an adapter to use a standard co2 regulator. I may have one laying around somewhere I you need it.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

so where do you get the beer gas mix?

#4 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:33 AM

so where do you get the beer gas mix?

Zym, I think I lucked out when I moved to this miniature town; All-American Welding Supply is about 12 miles from me and they are a large nitrogen supplier in the area and they actullly distribute to a number of suppliers that handle the "region" (the Chicago-land/NW Indiana area) and the many bar accounts in that area. They blend on the spot to your specs. Anywhere from 80/20 to 60/40 (N/CO2) beer gas blends are available and will fill while you wait. The same goes for CO2. I get a 20# CO2 filled for $15+ tax and the beer gas will run me $24.50 + tax for my 55cf beer gas cylinder. I can also get my 20# LP tanks filled from them or a closer LP supplier (4 miles away) for $13 + tax.Beach

Edited by beach, 16 October 2010 - 05:39 AM.

#5 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:37 AM

I see no problems with what you've listed above. As far as the regulator, you can get an adapter to use a standard co2 regulator. I may have one laying around somewhere I you need it.

EWW, my CO2 reg only goes to 2000 psi and my beer gas guy told me to expect pressure exceeding 2000 psi in my beer gas cylinder. For anal-retentive safety-sake don't I need the high pressure capacity of a nitrogen reg? I'm all about saving money were it can be safely saved but, with this addition I want to be sure everything goes well.Beach

#6 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:48 AM

It's probably been 7 years since I reasearched this so I would recomend talking to the guys at a welding/gas supply shop and to take everything I wrie with a grain of salt. However, when I had a beer gas system I was told that the regulator was able to handle the pressure, but that I needed a different tank with the nitrogen type connection on it. I was then able to use the adaper and a regulator I already had. I did this for about 4-5 years before selling of the beer gas set-up and getting my double beer engine.

#7 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

It's probably been 7 years since I reasearched this so I would recomend talking to the guys at a welding/gas supply shop and to take everything I wrie with a grain of salt. However, when I had a beer gas system I was told that the regulator was able to handle the pressure, but that I needed a different tank with the nitrogen type connection on it. I was then able to use the adaper and a regulator I already had. I did this for about 4-5 years before selling of the beer gas set-up and getting my double beer engine.

As I've been researching this to make this move I've seen the CO2-N adapters. IME they run close to $30 and I've seen beer gas regs (set up w/ball/check valves for serving) for around $45-$50. All in all, not too much more that buying a CO2 reg & the adapter.Beach

#8 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

I had the CO2 regulator, so it was more practical for me

#9 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

I had the CO2 regulator, so it was more practical for me

Right on

#10 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

Serving pressure- no clue really, I read somewhere a guy was serving at 28psi with a 75/25 beer gas blendAny help on this one?Thanks, Beach

It has been a couple of years since I have had a beer on the mix, but that is exactly what I served at. This gave me the perfect cascading, however it takes a a solid 3 weeks to carb up. You cannot really do a quick carb, I have heard of some doing a straight CO2 quick carb to 50-75% then finishing off and serving on the nitro, but I think for control sake, especially the first batch, just a regular carb would be best, but expect a bit of a wait. It is soooo worth it though. jimvy's QSS on nitro, mmmmmmmmmmmmm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users