15 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

I have not been happy with the aroma I have been getting from dry hopping lately. Curious to hear how others or doing it to get a big hop aroma. Are you just adding more hops?I have tried adding them to the keg and did not care for that. I usually go directly in the fermenter and start about 2 oz for 5 gallons and oz4 for 10g. I have been blending the varieties and cannot get that big hop aroma that you get with beers like Pliny, Sculpin, Gandhi-bot or other big IPA's.I also tend to get a vegetal taste/aroma. I am wondering if this is from using whole hops as dry hops?

#2 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:14 AM

What temp and how long are you keeping them in your vessel?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

What temp and how long are you keeping them in your vessel?

Typically 68-72. I will add them as I start to warm the beer up for a d-rest and usually have a contact time of 2 weeks. If whole leaf I submerge them in a paint trainer and if pellets I let them ride free.

#4 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

I'm thinking that your contact time is too long resulting in your vegetal aromas/flavors. From my experience and what the pros are doing, dry hopping with larger quantities (3 oz/5 gal) for a shorter period of time (5-7 days) will give you that awesome aroma that you are seeking.Pliny's dry hop schedule looks like this:1 oz Columbus 13.9% A.A. Dry Hop 12-14 days total1 oz Centennial 9.1% A.A. Dry Hop 12-14 days total1 oz Simcoe 12.3% A.A. Dry Hop 12-14 days total0.25 oz Columbus 13.9% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days remaining)0.25 oz Centennial 9.1% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days remaining)0.25 oz Simcoe 12.3% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days remaining)Good references on dry hopping:Nathan Smith's IIPA presentationBrew Strong - Dry Hopping

#5 Calder

Calder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

I have not been happy with the aroma I have been getting from dry hopping lately. Curious to hear how others or doing it to get a big hop aroma. Are you just adding more hops?I have tried adding them to the keg and did not care for that. I usually go directly in the fermenter and start about 2 oz for 5 gallons and oz4 for 10g. I have been blending the varieties and cannot get that big hop aroma that you get with beers like Pliny, Sculpin, Gandhi-bot or other big IPA's.I also tend to get a vegetal taste/aroma. I am wondering if this is from using whole hops as dry hops?

I've recently done a couple of beers with all the hops added late, starting at 30 minutes, 20, 15, 10, 5, 0, and dry hopped, and have great flavor and aroma. No early additions, these late additions provide all the bittering too.I always dry hop with pellets and have never had the vegetal taste/aroma that some describe. I am wondering if it is more associated with whole hops. I recently had a beer left 4 months with dry hops (just didn't get around to bottling), and it tasted great, with no vegetal characteristic. It was a beer that I had done the late hop additions to.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

I always dry hop with pellets and have never had the vegetal taste/aroma that some describe. I am wondering if it is more associated with whole hops.

I don't think that's it. I prefer to use whole hops for dry hopping because I get a better fresh hop aroma. Less oxidized. When I dry hop in the keg, I get a grassy aroma at first for about a week but then that mellows out and turns into a fantastic aroma.

I recently had a beer left 4 months with dry hops (just didn't get around to bottling), and it tasted great, with no vegetal characteristic. It was a beer that I had done the late hop additions to.

I've done that before too and never got a vegetal aroma from it. I also agree that late hop additions (hop bursting) is the best way to get a lot of hop aroma.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

what didn't you like about dry hopping in the keg? it does take a week or so for the harshness to fade but after that it's allllll good. I had an AIPA that I left the hops in until the keg kicked. It was glorious.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

what didn't you like about dry hopping in the keg? it does take a week or so for the harshness to fade but after that it's allllll good. I had an AIPA that I left the hops in until the keg kicked. It was glorious.

It was vegetal to me. The hops that were left in there were pellets too.Have to do some batches with a lot of late hops and up my dry hop amount too. Aww shucks … more brewing …

#9 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

This +1

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

It was vegetal to me. The hops that were left in there were pellets too.Have to do some batches with a lot of late hops and up my dry hop amount too. Aww shucks … more brewing …

I wonder if it has to do with the type of hops. On that dry hop I think I used magnum and cascade. Other times I've used cascade and willy. No vegetal flavors as far as I could tell.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

I wonder if it has to do with the type of hops. On that dry hop I think I used magnum and cascade. Other times I've used cascade and willy. No vegetal flavors as far as I could tell.

Could be. The one in the keg was warrior and the latest one I think the vegetal came from the Centennial, there was also Simcoe and Columbus.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

Could be. The one in the keg was warrior and the latest one I think the vegetal came from the Centennial, there was also Simcoe and Columbus.

never tried any of those although I will dry hop denny's rye IPA with columbus when I get to that. that will probably be the next beer I brew so in a couple of months I'll probably be able to get back to you on that.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

never tried any of those although I will dry hop denny's rye IPA with columbus when I get to that. that will probably be the next beer I brew so in a couple of months I'll probably be able to get back to you on that.

The Cent, Simcoe and Columbus were from a pliny clone. Tasted it side by side and it was close. I have never dry hopped with Williamette, what do you get out of that? I have a lot of it at home and may try it.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

The Cent, Simcoe and Columbus were from a pliny clone. Tasted it side by side and it was close. I have never dry hopped with Williamette, what do you get out of that? I have a lot of it at home and may try it.

willy, kind of flowery and earthy if I remember correctly. it's similar to UK hops but a little more intense/in your face.

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

willy, kind of flowery and earthy if I remember correctly. it's similar to UK hops but a little more intense/in your face.

That's a pretty good description. Willy is much milder than your typical American hop. It has a lot in common with its UK brethren so it's good for ESBs and such. If you want over the top hoppiness, then one of the C hops, Amarillo, Simcoe, etc. would be better.

#16 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

Another vote here for hop-bursting. I don't dry hop too often anymore but when I do I like to just leave 'em in the keg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users