#1 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

My sister wants me to brew for her wedding. She said she wants a summer line-up. This is what I am thinking thus far. 1)APA2)German Pils3)Strawberry KolschI have never made a fruit beer, a kolsch, or a pilsner. This will be fun. any ideas of anything better for a summer wedding beer lin-up??

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

I think your lineup looks pretty good. Looks summery to me as well. As long as you can brew the Pilsner and Kolsch as a lager and hybrid then I think you should be all set. Not much for fruit beers but it sets a good lineup. Good Luck and enjoy. I brewed for my buddies wedding last summer 2009 and still get feedback from it now too. Cheers!!

#3 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

I think your lineup looks pretty good. Looks summery to me as well. As long as you can brew the Pilsner and Kolsch as a lager and hybrid then I think you should be all set. Not much for fruit beers but it sets a good lineup. Good Luck and enjoy. I brewed for my buddies wedding last summer 2009 and still get feedback from it now too. Cheers!!

ya i dont wanna make the strawberry very strong. i want to mainly just brew a kolsch with a light hint of strawberry because i think the kolsch could benefit from a hint of strawberry, and my sister wanted fruit.

#4 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

Strawberry is a hard flavor to use well. It either takes a ton of berries to get a good flavor or you are stuck with mediocre extracts. If it were me I may opt for an easier flavor for the event like an apricot kolsch or blood orange wit. I'm only suggesting this since it's for a wedding and you want to ensure a solid finished product. Strawberries are just too difficult to do well in my opinion.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Strawberry is a hard flavor to use well. It either takes a ton of berries to get a good flavor or you are stuck with mediocre extracts. If it were me I may opt for an easier flavor for the event like an apricot kolsch or blood orange wit. I'm only suggesting this since it's for a wedding and you want to ensure a solid finished product. Strawberries are just too difficult to do well in my opinion.

Well, it's kinda of a catch-22. People who would actually drink a strawberry beer are the kind of people who like nasty artificial flavor tastes in their drinks. They want something that tastes like strawberry daiquiri out of a can.

#6 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Agree w/said statements.I would try A cherry brew,more situation appropriate IMHO.Oregon fruit purees work great.Would be great in a kolsch or wheat.Mine was a wheat,with cherry purees crushed and added before i bottled.Just my 2cents.

Edited by Kegdude, 11 October 2010 - 03:56 PM.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

blood orange wit would get my vote.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

My sister wants me to brew for her wedding. She said she wants a summer line-up. This is what I am thinking thus far. 1)APA2)German Pils3)Strawberry KolschI have never made a fruit beer, a kolsch, or a pilsner. This will be fun. any ideas of anything better for a summer wedding beer lin-up??

you've made some lagers though, right?

#9 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12421 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Do you have the setup to lager, Hiller?

#10 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

Do you have the setup to lager, Hiller?

do I have the setup to lager????https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtjeOSJgis&sns=em

#11 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

Some people have too much time on their hands*points at Hiller*

Edited by EWW, 11 October 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#12 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42101 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

I've made a few cherry wheat style beers and always had the best luck with frozen cherries. It's always easiest to secondary in a bucket with these. Just thaw them out, throw them in the bucket and crush them up real good before adding the beer...

#13 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Agree w/said statements.I would try A cherry brew,more situation appropriate IMHO.Oregon fruit purees work great.Would be great in a kolsch or wheat.Mine was a wheat,with cherry purees crushed and added before i bottled.Just my 2cents.

Agreed. It worked really well for me.

#14 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

I made a Wit for my wedding and people were quite happy with it. I actually gave away bottles of it to the guests and a good portion of them were finished during the reception.

#15 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

blood orange wit would get my vote.

Dude, THAT sounds really good actually. Have you made that already?

#16 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

wheat beer, witbier, weissbier, hefeweizen (whatever) should be in any summer lineup imho.

#17 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

Well, it's kinda of a catch-22. People who would actually drink a strawberry beer are the kind of people who like nasty artificial flavor tastes in their drinks. They want something that tastes like strawberry daiquiri out of a can.

Booo, I disagree. I love a good fruit beer. Strawberries are hard to get right though, blueberries seem even harder. But I'll drink just about anything called beer. There are times when I want a slight hint of fruit in an otherwise normal beer. Sometimes I want tart fruit, and sometimes I want that sweet this-is-a-soda fruit flavor. I don't see anyone of the three balances as a lesser form, just different for different tastes.My advice to Herr Hiller... stick with stuff you know, stuff you've done before, if you can. Getting fruit to balance in a beer is a delicate task, and I certainly wouldn't want my first attempt served at a wedding. Instead of adding strawberries I might try something like an American Wheat generously hopped with aroma hops that throw grapefruit or lemon notes and then serve the beer with a slice of citrus fruit.

#18 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

Here's a solid recipe for a Blood Orange Witdon't know how easy it would be to come across blood oranges in OH though

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64098 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Booo, I disagree. I love a good fruit beer. Strawberries are hard to get right though, blueberries seem even harder. But I'll drink just about anything called beer. There are times when I want a slight hint of fruit in an otherwise normal beer. Sometimes I want tart fruit, and sometimes I want that sweet this-is-a-soda fruit flavor. I don't see anyone of the three balances as a lesser form, just different for different tastes.My advice to Herr Hiller... stick with stuff you know, stuff you've done before, if you can. Getting fruit to balance in a beer is a delicate task, and I certainly wouldn't want my first attempt served at a wedding. Instead of adding strawberries I might try something like an American Wheat generously hopped with aroma hops that throw grapefruit or lemon notes and then serve the beer with a slice of citrus fruit.

If you put the general populace in front of 3 taps of beer with a Pils, APA and a Strawberry Blond, the people who don't like beer are going to pull from the Strawberry Blond. Those people don't want beer that tastes like beer. They want a strawberry daiquiri. I'm not saying you can't make good strawberry beer (even though it's hard to imagine), I just don't think it would be as well received by the GP.

#20 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:41 AM

If you put the general populace in front of 3 taps of beer with a Pils, APA and a Strawberry Blond, the people who don't like beer are going to pull from the Strawberry Blond. Those people don't want beer that tastes like beer. They want a strawberry daiquiri. I'm not saying you can't make good strawberry beer (even though it's hard to imagine), I just don't think it would be as well received by the GP.

then they will pull from the german pils, and my amazing apa and jizz in their pants. Then they will like beer ;-). no really though, a large portion of my sister's friends are hipsters or hippies or people with at least an open mind and an appreciation for art, and would prolly try all 3 with an open mind instead of the GP "I wanna party and get drunk off light and fuzzy cheapness" state of mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users