Photo
- - - - -

Nice hop situation at Williams Brewing...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

For whatever the reason, there are certain hop varieties I have trouble getting locally and my one online supplier is hit and miss. Specifically, I rarely see Spalt, East Kent Goldings and Hallertau Mittelfruh. I make quite a few English ales but I haven't had EKGs in my house for years. So I went to the Williams site after getting a catalog and picked up six ounces of HM for $9.90 ($1.65 per ounce of pellets!) and they were very nice & fresh. I used them over the spring & summer and they made some very nice lagers. Last weekend I headed back to the site for Spalt (9.90 for 6 ounces) and I also found some EKGs for $7.90 for six ounces (1.31 per ounce!) and they arrived today. I like the 6 ounce foil pack (so I can use as much as I want) and these hops seem very fresh and the price is pretty good too... considering I can't get these hops locally. Cheers!

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

For whatever the reason, there are certain hop varieties I have trouble getting locally and my one online supplier is hit and miss. Specifically, I rarely see Spalt, East Kent Goldings and Hallertau Mittelfruh. I make quite a few English ales but I haven't had EKGs in my house for years. So I went to the Williams site after getting a catalog and picked up six ounces of HM for $9.90 ($1.65 per ounce of pellets!) and they were very nice & fresh. I used them over the spring & summer and they made some very nice lagers. Last weekend I headed back to the site for Spalt (9.90 for 6 ounces) and I also found some EKGs for $7.90 for six ounces (1.31 per ounce!) and they arrived today. I like the 6 ounce foil pack (so I can use as much as I want) and these hops seem very fresh and the price is pretty good too... considering I can't get these hops locally. Cheers!

pretty decent prices consider EKG is a little tough to find lately (not sure what gives there). I recently bought some hallertau pellets from hops direct. Previously I had been using the Mittelfruh. Have you used both? I'm curious if the difference will be noticeable or not.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

pretty decent prices consider EKG is a little tough to find lately (not sure what gives there). I recently bought some hallertau pellets from hops direct. Previously I had been using the Mittelfruh. Have you used both? I'm curious if the difference will be noticeable or not.

Yeah, I have used both of them quite a bit. The HM seems to be a little spicier to me. It's still a very clean hop all the way around, but it has a little more punch than the regular hallertau. IIRC, Sam Adams Boston Lager uses HM and the flavor of those hops is distinct. It leans a little towards Saaz in its profile. Really nice hop. I wish I knew what the deal was with EKG but neither of my two LHBSs had them (only US Kents, which are fine) and many online suppliers were either sold out or just didn't list them. I am also seeing "Yakima Magnum" locally and not German Magnum... I have to get those online too. One of my LHBSs had Spalt for awhile, but then they disappeared. I'm happy to have them again & these prices are pretty darn good, IMO. Cheers.

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:54 AM

Williams Brewings is a great source. I have used them many times and always been happy.My only "complaint", they are local to me but do not allow back door pickups. They insist on shipping stuff to me when I am 15 miles away.Another source for hops is 7 Bridges. molbasser can tell you all about them.https://www.breworganic.com/index.aspx

#5 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

I've always had excellent service from Norther Brewer so I don't shop around hardly ever. Probably should though.They sell 8 oz packages opposed to 6 oz. Quick look and you can get EKG for 8.99 and Spalt for 11.99.

#6 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

Ken if it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen Hallertau Mittelfruh in quite some time either. I think Sam Adams cornered the market...bastards!

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

Ken if it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen Hallertau Mittelfruh in quite some time either. I think Sam Adams cornered the market...bastards!

It's weird but every once in awhile I look in my LHBS freezer and try to find certain hops and it's a no go. For awhile it was Styrian Goldings... no one had them. Then I couldn't find EKG for the longest time, only US Kent. US Kent is just fine and it works in my English Ales, but I remember being very fond of EKG when I was able to get them and I'd like to try them again. Then I was unable to get Hallertau or H-Mittelfruh. Only Hallertau Tradition was available and they are less than stellar, IMO. My one LHBS had Spalt for a long time and then they were gone. There was also a temporary drought on Mt. Hood but that seems to be over now. I realize that I have a thing for clean, sometimes-Noble hops that are low AA%, etc. and that many of the hops I see are the higher AA varieties or the hops that completely control the direction of the beer like Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, etc. I don't make many purchases at Williams but when I see hops that I can't seem to find anyplace else, I giddy up. Cheers!

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, I have used both of them quite a bit. The HM seems to be a little spicier to me. It's still a very clean hop all the way around, but it has a little more punch than the regular hallertau. IIRC, Sam Adams Boston Lager uses HM and the flavor of those hops is distinct. It leans a little towards Saaz in its profile. Really nice hop. I wish I knew what the deal was with EKG but neither of my two LHBSs had them (only US Kents, which are fine) and many online suppliers were either sold out or just didn't list them. I am also seeing "Yakima Magnum" locally and not German Magnum... I have to get those online too. One of my LHBSs had Spalt for awhile, but then they disappeared. I'm happy to have them again & these prices are pretty darn good, IMO. Cheers.

A little unrelated but would hallertau + a little bit of czech saaz mimic hallertau MF pretty well?

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:18 AM

A little unrelated but would hallertau + a little bit of czech saaz mimic hallertau MF pretty well?

It could. You could also use some Hallertau and mix it with a little Sterling which has a bit of that clean-spiciness to it. I'm sure that loyal fans of HM would wince at that comparison but for us homebrewers, it could be just fine. Cheers.

#10 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

It could. You could also use some Hallertau and mix it with a little Sterling which has a bit of that clean-spiciness to it. I'm sure that loyal fans of HM would wince at that comparison but for us homebrewers, it could be just fine. Cheers.

+1Sterling is one of my favorite hops. It was the hop I used in a SMaSH beer I brewed.It does have a touch of the American citrus to it. I love Stelings and they work well in many beers.But a noble perfectionist or a "to style" purist might object.

#11 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:59 PM

Farmhouse Brewing Supply has a little bit better prices on the hops you referenced.https://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/hopsList.asp?idCategory=21

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

I know Chicago is big but have you checked out Mid Country? They're selling by the pound now. I have 5# coming through the LBG at the lowest prices I've paid since 2007. Actually probably the lowest ever for me

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54137 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

I know Chicago is big but have you checked out Mid Country? They're selling by the pound now. I have 5# coming through the LBG at the lowest prices I've paid since 2007. Actually probably the lowest ever for me

I think they're pretty far from me (they're south, I'm north) but I had no idea they even sold hops. What did you get from them? My guess is that they will be very fresh & great to use. Cheers.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

I think they're pretty far from me (they're south, I'm north) but I had no idea they even sold hops. What did you get from them? My guess is that they will be very fresh & great to use. Cheers.

Haven't gotten them yet. Hallertauer Mittelfruh, Citra, Spalt, Magnum and Centennial. Won't know until the order is placed but I'll bet it'll be around $50 for 5# when it's all said and done. Probably less.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users