#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

So I wanted to post this one over here...this is actually a reply that someone got from the brewers at Big Sky. You can find many Moose Drool clones on line for home brewers, but here is one we provide:Moose DroolOG 1.052Color 38IBU 26Pale 87%Crystal 75 10%Chocolate 2.8%Black .2%Final Mash Temp 154° F70 minute boil20 IBU East Kent GoldingsLiberty and Willamette for flavor and aroma for total of 26 IBUFullers ale yeast

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

Here is another that is all over the web. My version is pretty close to this one... I like the oat additions, mine turned out really really good a richer chocolate flavor than the original which i think is a better traitAll Grain Recipe - Big Sky Moose Drool ::: 1.058/1.019 (5.5 Gal)Grain Bill9 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt1 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (20L)1/2 lb. - CaraPils Malt1/2 lb. - Flaked Oats1/3 lb. - Chocolate Malt1/8 lb. - Black Patent MaltHop Schedule (19 IBU)1 oz - East Kent Goldings (First Wort Hop)1 oz - Liberty (30 min.)1 oz - Willamette (5 min.).75 oz - Liberty (0 min. - flameout)YeastWhite Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP002) - 1800 ML StarterMash/Sparge/BoilMash at 154° 60 min.Sparge as usualBoil for 60 minutesCool and ferment at 66° to 68°

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

My first batch of this I bottled before I used a bottling bucket and totally over carbed them....too many gushers in the batch but the taste was stupendous....this really really benefits with some age...so I am gonna go for a second try so I can bring some up to Montana for the 4th. Let the GFs family try between the original and my version and see what they think. I have Liberty and Willamette in the freezer and no EKG. Since it is just a bittering addition you think subbing Willamette for the EKG is going to effect it that much?

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

oh and Wyeast 1968 London ESB is Big Skys house yeast so that is the one you should go with if planning on brewing this.

#5 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

So I wanted to post this one over here...this is actually a reply that someone got from the brewers at Big Sky. You can find many Moose Drool clones on line for home brewers, but here is one we provide:Moose DroolOG 1.052Color 38IBU 26Pale 87%Crystal 75 10%Chocolate 2.8%Black .2%Final Mash Temp 154° F70 minute boil20 IBU East Kent GoldingsLiberty and Willamette for flavor and aroma for total of 26 IBUFullers ale yeast

I entered this recipe into Beersmith and can't get it to the proper SRM. I plug this in and it comes up with about 21 SRM.I have clone of this in my rotation as well and it tastes amazing!

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

I entered this recipe into Beersmith and can't get it to the proper SRM. I plug this in and it comes up with about 21 SRM.I have clone of this in my rotation as well and it tastes amazing!

that's so strange...and if i remember the last time I had a moose drool in a glass it didn't seem 38 SRM...maybe a typo by one of the brewers...plus with darker beers i am not really all that concerned with the color

#7 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

I've got a couple of Drool's in the fridge at home and I would guess around 22-23 on the SRM meter. As long as the grain percentages are correct, it should turn out great!The Drool is perhaps my favorite beer in the world!

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

Chad, you use any oats in your version? I have used them and think it adds a nice smooth creaminess. I am thinking of toasting some in my next one see what that brings to the table.

#9 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

You know, I haven't. I use Oats in my Irish Cream Ale and my hefes/wits to add exactly what you said, the smoothy/creaminess of the beer. I have to think it would add some body to your clone and if that's what you're wanting, I say go for it. I've never regretted putting Oats in anything...I love mouthfeel it gives my Irish Cream Ale!

#10 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

I've made a few brown ales, but MD is the benchmark.Key is a nice medium-dry body, lots of chocolate and UK hops. (Bittering with EKG's however, should be against the law!!!!!)My latest looks like this:Ungulate Saliva American Brown Ale Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 8 lbs Pale Wheat (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM) Grain 80.00 % 1 lbs Caramunich III (Weyermann) (71.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 % 6.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.75 % 4.0 oz Black Malt, Debittered (Dingemans) (550.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 % 3.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.88 % 2.0 oz Chocolate Malt, Pale (230.0 SRM) Grain 1.25 % 1.0 oz Barley, Roasted (Crisp) (695.0 SRM) Grain 0.63 % Mash 1.25:1 @ 152° for 60m1.00 oz Target [11.00 %] (30 min) Hops 25.1 IBU 1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops - 1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops - 1 Pkgs Bell's (LP Bank #LPB BEL) Yeast-Ale Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.35 % Bitterness: 25.1 IBUEst Color: 28.0 SRM

#11 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

I drank a lot of the Drool in Spokane on the advice of a really smart guy from Montana. He wasn't wrong about the beer and still a smart guy so I'll grab your ideas and put together a version of my own. When it gets brewed I'll .... nevermind, by the time I brew this the thread will be buried. Anywho, PUI, I'm going to get this into BeerSmith before I am too drunk.

#12 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

Anyone try Jamil's Moose Drool recipe from the podcast, Can You Brew It? linky

7 gal pre-boil
70% brewhouse eff.
OG: 1.052
Mash temp: 154ºF

Malt Bill:
10.8 lbs 2-Row
5.5 oz Chocolate Malt
1.25 lbs Crystal 75-80ºL
0.5 oz Black Malt
Hop Schedule:
1.4 oz EKG (4.75% AA) 60min 27.1 IBU
0.6 oz Willamette 10 min
0.6 oz Liberty 0 min
Yeast:
WLP 002 English Ale
or
Wyeast 1968 London ESB

If brewing extract, replace the 2-row with 7.4 lbs Pale Malt Extract.

#13 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

8 lbs Pale Wheat (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM) Grain 80.00 %

:rolf: Yeah... no.That's Marris Otter. :D

#14 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

5.5 oz Chocolate Malt

That's probably Pale Chocolate Malt, if it's one of Jamil's recipes.

#15 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

That's probably Pale Chocolate Malt, if it's one of Jamil's recipes.

To clarify, it is Chocolate Malt. Jamil received recipe hints from Big Sky, followed what was said to the T.I highly recommend listening to the Can You Brew It podcasts. Not only do they formulate clone recipes by talking to the various corresponding brewers, but every brewer has a unique technique that will expand your brewing knowledge!Rick

#16 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

To clarify, it is Chocolate Malt. Jamil received recipe hints from Big Sky, followed what was said to the T.

Thanks for the clarification.Have you tried the recipe?

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

Going to brew on of these up tomorrow. Bringing some up to Montana for the 4th and want to compare it to the freshest MD i can find. Think I am going to try out the Big Sky recipe this time, I went with Brew 365 before. I am just torn if I want to add Oats or not. The two changes I made are I went with Rahr Pale Ale Malt rather than 2-row and I am using Willamette to bitter since I don't have any EKG on hand, plus I figure it is just a bittering addition so it shouldn't make too much difference. Also the only chocolate they had at my LHBS was Crisp chocolate. I am looking on their website and it says the color is 625-635L?? Is this right?? I think I used American Chocolate last time and that is around 350 so I am hoping this stuff doesn't have too much burnt/roast flavor and more chocolaty like the American stuff. So by the percentages in the first post and my systems efficiency mine looks like this:8.5lb Rahr Pale Ale15oz Simpsons Dark Crystal (75-85L)4.5 oz Crisp Chocolate Malt.5 oz Black Patent.75 oz Willamette 6AA 60 Min.25oz Liberty 5AA 20 min.25oz Willamette 20 min.25oz Liberty 5 min.25oz Willamette 5 minWyeast 1968OG: 1.052 IBU: 26.0

#18 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

Going to brew on of these up tomorrow. Bringing some up to Montana for the 4th and want to compare it to the freshest MD i can find. Think I am going to try out the Big Sky recipe this time, I went with Brew 365 before. I am just torn if I want to add Oats or not. The two changes I made are I went with Rahr Pale Ale Malt rather than 2-row and I am using Willamette to bitter since I don't have any EKG on hand, plus I figure it is just a bittering addition so it shouldn't make too much difference. Also the only chocolate they had at my LHBS was Crisp chocolate. I am looking on their website and it says the color is 625-635L?? Is this right?? I think I used American Chocolate last time and that is around 350 so I am hoping this stuff doesn't have too much burnt/roast flavor and more chocolaty like the American stuff. So by the percentages in the first post and my systems efficiency mine looks like this: 8.5lb Rahr Pale Ale 15oz Simpsons Dark Crystal (75-85L) 4.5 oz Crisp Chocolate Malt .5 oz Black Patent .75 oz Willamette 6AA 60 Min .25oz Liberty 5AA 20 min .25oz Willamette 20 min .25oz Liberty 5 min .25oz Willamette 5 min Wyeast 1968 OG: 1.052 IBU: 26.0

I'm curious...how this turned out? What was the final recipe you went with?

#19 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

I'm curious...how this turned out? What was the final recipe you went with?

I brewed this up last Thursday. Exactly the recipe I posted above. My OG hit 1.054 so that was the only difference. I will rack this to the secondary in a few days and take a taste and see what my FG turns out to be. When I woke up friday morning i checked it and it was going but then I left straight from work Friday night to head back to Chicago. I never got to see how strong it was fermenting. When I got back last night the yeast line was only about an inch high. I do use fermcap-s however , this was just lower than normal...so i will see if it got finished when I take the gravity reading. I opted for no toasted oatmeal, i wanted to see how the recipe from Big Sky compares. The switch of the EKG bittering addition for Willamette I don't think is going to make a lot of difference. The one thing that might change it a little is that my LHBS only had crisp chocolate malt which on the website says 625-635 lovibond not the 350L for american chocolate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users