#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

Has anyone else thought these were good prices at Hops direct? i picked up a lb of williamette (pellets ) for $10.50 , also grabbed a 1 lb of Northern Brewer (leaf ) for $17. I liked the prices for a while , anyhow my lhbs is great but hops are still $2- to $3.25 an ounce. I realize there selling 08 hops, but that is what im buying at my lhbs anyhow. The gouging some did in the last gold rush i have vivid memories of . When i started this endeavor approx four years ago, i could buy Most pellets for $8 and that seemed expensive.

#2 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:06 AM

I have not looked for a couple weeks. I speculated when HD put hops back on the market last year and purchased ~13lb. I paid $30+ for what was available. ;) But at that price they were still cheaper than purchasing them by the oz.

#3 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

They are really good prices since I pay $2.5/ounce locally.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

Yes the prices just dropped at HD about a week and a half ago. I think they are great prices. I just started buying bulk hops last fall so I don't know what the prehop shortage was like but they look fine to me now. The selection is there too no doubts. I wish I could find some Summit hops though in pellet.

#5 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

I was disappointed to see that my LHBS was selling hops for $3.50-$4 per ounce. They weren't even charging that much last year! I went home and bought several half and and quarter pounds from freshops ~$2/oz.

#6 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

I still get a little teary-eyed when I think of buying a "super pound" of Mt Hood from HD for about $8.00 a few years ago. It was 20 ozs at $0.61/oz including shipping.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

I just bought several pounds from Hops Direct. Cascade, Magnum, Saaz, Mt. Hood, Willamette. With shipping, it averaged out to $17.60/lb, ~$1.10/oz.I was at my LHBS last weekend, they were charging $44.95/lb for Cascade and $49.95/lb for Saaz. ;)

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:50 AM

I still get a little teary-eyed when I think of buying a "super pound" of Mt Hood from HD for about $8.00 a few years ago. It was 20 ozs at $0.61/oz including shipping.

In the last 5lb from HD, each one has been about 1oz over. The most I had was 19oz in one bag, but two of the last 3lb bags were over by only .8oz. They must have a more accurate fill method these days or are bothering to use a scale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users