#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31556 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

I know someone has done this with their Rubbermaid 10 gallon coolers. :DMine current have the plastic ones that have a fitting on the inside that a tube comes out of and connects to my phils false bottom. I got them a few years ago from homebrewadventures - it was their 10 gallon all-grain mashing system. I would like to get rid of the plastic spigots and put in a ball valve with bulkhead as the plastic spigots are starting leak a little where they are meeting up with the cooler.So if anyone has done this with parts from HD or Lowes or something that would be awesome if you could share the parts list and howto or somethin to help a brutha out. ;)

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

The way I did it was with a half coupling, washer and gasket on the inside and an NPT reducing bushing, gasket and washer on the outside. Then I connected a nipple and ball valve to the reducing bushing.

#3 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29333 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:37 PM

I tried to do it myself from Home depot, but could never frinf the high temp o=rings and the larger ss washers

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

I tried to do it myself from Home depot, but could never frinf the high temp o=rings and the larger ss washers

I ordered mine from mcmaster.

#5 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

+1 The box stores only had half the parts needed and none were stainless where I wanted them to be... I ordered a weldless bulkhead fitting for my mash tun from Northern Brewer and bought another one for my keggle while at a LHBS in Raleigh. Prices were comparable to buying the parts individually on-line at the plumbing supply stores that I looked at.

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31556 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

+1 The box stores only had half the parts needed and none were stainless where I wanted them to be... I ordered a weldless bulkhead fitting for my mash tun from Northern Brewer and bought another one for my keggle while at a LHBS in Raleigh. Prices were comparable to buying the parts individually on-line at the plumbing supply stores that I looked at.

I was looking at the ones that Northern Brewer have. They have then with brass balls and stainless balls. Brass is fine right? I hope because that is the ball valves I have been using all this time on my kettle anyway. ;)

#7 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

I was looking at the ones that Northern Brewer have. They have then with brass balls and stainless balls. Brass is fine right? I hope because that is the ball valves I have been using all this time on my kettle anyway. ;)

I think so. I went stainless for both mine, but it was probably unnecessary.Visit My Website

#8 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

Here is a write up, not mine.I needed to go to ACE Hardware to locate some of the parts.I thought I had a link with the part #, but I can not find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users