Photo
- - - - -

If you are in Alabama, Please help with this.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

Copied from email from Free the Hops.Just before 3:00pm today, our bill was brought up by the chair and we passed the Senate by a vote of 19-9. The House concurred with the amended Senate version just before 5:00pm. The amendment attempts to restrict beer with an ABV over 6% from being sold in convenience stores. Celebrations are certainly in order, but we're not done yet.At this point, we need the governor to sign the bill. Governor Bob Riley has two options:He signs the bill and it becomes law.He doesn't sign the bill and it doesn't become law.There's no real veto at this point, thanks to the Constitutional "pocket veto" power of the governor this late in the session. The fate of our bill is solely in Governor Riley's hands.Because of this, we're asking everyone to call, email, and/or fax the Governor's office asking him to sign HB373, the Gourmet Beer Bill.I just talked to our political grassroots point-man, Dan Roberts. I think he put it best: "If that nice lady that answers the phone in Riley's office doesn't get sick of us and disconnect the phone, we're not doing enough."One of the Governor's former staffers is a supporter, and offered the following advice:The volume of letters and phone calls that he receives on a particular issue is reported to him every morning, and he takes them seriously. ... A couple quick points:They have a pretty sophisticated constituent database, so multiple calls/mail from the same person won't accomplish much. They report to him the number of persons, not the number of communications. Any arguments that sounds like something the gambling folks would say should be avoided ("People go over state lines to do it anyway..."). You don't want to equate yourself with those guys in his mind.Arguments about personal liberty and economic development will probably have more sway.Pointing out the surrounding states that allow it will also be helpful. The fact that GA, NC, SC, and WV have passed these bills in the past couple years is persuasive.To contact Governor Riley's office:Phone: (334) 242-7100Fax: (334) 353-0004Email using this webpageYou have to use the webpage to send an email.Thanks to everyone who has helped us get this far. We're *so* close, but it's absolutely essential that we all appeal to the Governor to seal the deal.

#2 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:52 AM

He signed it!!!!!!!!!!! :) :covreyes: :smilielol: Todd

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

He signed it!!!!!!!!!!! :) :covreyes: :smilielol: Todd

Congrats! When can ya'll start brewing?I tried to help the cause by writing some key senators.

#4 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29316 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

Congrats! When can ya'll start brewing?I tried to help the cause by writing some key senators.

from what i have been following they ended up splitting the greater than 6% and homebrewing into 2 different bills.

#5 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

from what i have been following they ended up splitting the greater than 6% and homebrewing into 2 different bills.

That's right. We still have to get a homebrewing bill and a container bill through. We can not have anything greater than 16oz.bottles, except for kegs. Makes perfect sense.Todd

#6 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:08 AM

At least it's a first step....personally I didn't think Riley would sign it.Damned glad he did though!! :smilielol:

#7 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:43 AM

Now we just need to convince stores to carry the good stuff.

#8 big harry deehl

big harry deehl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:16 AM

There will be several stores in my neighborhood tripping over themselves to stock the new products, but I am in aa liberal of a neighborhood as you will find in Alabama...... the Southside of Birmingham.Stlinch, where are you?

#9 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

Tuscaloosa. We have a wine store that does some tasting so they will be the first to get some better beer. They have a small selection now. I hope this will get them to expand.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:18 AM

My thought would be that with a siginificant change such as this one you got passed stores would be clammering to get in new products and put them up for sale. If the people of AL wanted this change then that would signal the potential for good buyer interest. Hey either way, enjoy I say, Congratulations.

#11 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:44 AM

Tuscaloosa. We have a wine store that does some tasting so they will be the first to get some better beer. They have a small selection now. I hope this will get them to expand.

Carpe Vino?

#12 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

Carpe Vino?

No, Spirits. I haven't been in Carpe Vino.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users