1 reply to this topic

#1 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

When does one use one over the other in wine making? Are they interchangable? Curious minds want to know, all I see from a quick google search is they are used the same. Seems like there'd be no reason to have two things that do the same thing...

#2 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

I assume you are talking about sulfites. You said KSO2, but I think you meant K2S2O5 (Potassium Metabisulfite). The other, Sodium Metabisulfite (Na2S2O5), is exactly the same in use - except dose and elemental contributions. The #1 reason to have the two kinds is because a lot of people have sodium issues associated with high blood pressure and other medical reasons. Doses are different between the two: KMETA needs 0.66g/gal for 100ppm SO2 contribution at pH 3.5 whereas NaMETA needs 0.56g/gal to do the same thing. Then there is also Sodium Bisulphite (NaHSO3) that needs 0.61g/gal for the same thing, and the same sodium issue applies as does with NaMETA.

Quick and informative. That's exactly what I didn't know. Thanks Guest! I had always seen/heard it referred to as KSO2 but yes I mean potassium metabisulfite.

Edited by chriscose, 22 September 2010 - 04:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users