3 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

I picked up 6 gallons of pure unadulterated cider today. Living on the PA border does have benefits - no state laws requiring pasteurization or UV filtering. I'm planning on experimenting since its early in the season and cider will be available for a while. Natural ferment vs. KMeta & various yeast strains.I looked at the FAQ and didn't see anything about needing to add nutrients, is that correct? No need to add anything or would a dose of nutrients be beneficial? I have pure DAP and the Baker & Crosby Fermax on hand.Also - I think this question was answered on Mercado's blueberry mead question. Looks like 100-150mg/L is the appropriate does of KMETA to kill off the wild bugs in the cider? Wait 24hrs before adding yeast?Cheers,DT

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26190 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

Kmeta dose is based on PH. Of you take a look at my apples to alcohol thread it has a good breakdown on this.Nutrients are optional.A pectic enzyme addition 12 hrs after adding the kmeta will help with clarity

Edited by EWW, 18 September 2010 - 02:26 PM.

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:06 AM

As long as you're doing experiments, this is my method (adopted from French cidermakers in Normandy) for cider:add pectic enzymewait a day or tworack to a new containeradd yeastThe theory is that gunk left behind after the pectic enzyme does its thing takes most of the nutrients with it, which leads to a stuck fermentation. Stuck fermentation means more residual sweetness and a tasty cider.I've never done a side-by-side comparison, but if you're already doing some experiments it might be interesting to see how this method turns out.

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

As long as you're doing experiments, this is my method (adopted from French cidermakers in Normandy) for cider:add pectic enzymewait a day or tworack to a new containeradd yeastThe theory is that gunk left behind after the pectic enzyme does its thing takes most of the nutrients with it, which leads to a stuck fermentation. Stuck fermentation means more residual sweetness and a tasty cider.I've never done a side-by-side comparison, but if you're already doing some experiments it might be interesting to see how this method turns out.

is that called keeving(sp)been meaning to try it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users