#1 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

I'm looking at ordering a good wine kit. I did a search for keg in this forum and came up short. Is there any drawbacks to storing the wine in a keg opposed to bottling? I figured if a kit made six gallons I would most likely bottle 1-2 gallons and keg the rest.Are the any drawbacks to this approach?

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

A keg is just a big bottle. The only issue is serving without adding CO2 into solution. It's really easy to leave the CO2 connected after serving or forget to purge the headspace.Who know you could start the next big wine craze with a carbonated cab, sparkling Shiraz, or something. :devil:

Edited by EWW, 14 September 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#3 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

A keg is just a big bottle. The only issue is serving without adding CO2 into solution. It's really easy to leave the CO2 connected after serving or forget to purge the headspace.Who know you could start the next big wine craze with a carbonated cab, sparkling Shiraz, or something. :devil:

That's something I have considered, a sparkling Sangiovese. :cheers: But seriously, I don't see why I couldn't do as you mentioned and just use enough pressure to push a glass or two. Other than adding C02 to the solution, if there are any drawbacks I'd like to hear them.I'm also looking to get one of the higher end kits. If I'm going to spend the time to do this, I don't see the need to buy a $50 kit unless I am putting too much stock into the prices. I am guessing the more expensive the kit the better grape I am getting? Pardon the wine ignorance, but a huge learning curve for me.

#4 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

The wine kit is here. My conical is tied up right now but I do have 6.5 gl carboys. Instructions call for an eight gallon fermenter. Does the wine ferment too vigorously to use a 6.5 gl carboy?

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.Wine yeast doesn't foam up nearly as much as beer yeast but I still think .5 gallon of headspace is pushing it. It could work depending on the particular wine yeast as some are even lower foam than others but I'd want 1 gallon of headspace to be safe. Considering the price of the higher end kits I hate loosing a drop. Personally I use buckets for wine kits.As for kegging your wine. You can get away doing it with CO2 as long as as soon as you are done pouring you kill the gas to the keg and pull the pressure release valve. Some CO2 will still dissolve in but not enough to make your wine fizzy. The correct way of doing it is with nitrogen. The drawback there is nitrogen takes a different tank and different regulator than CO2.

#6 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

If it's a 6 gallon kit, that's too small. If it's a 5 gallon kit, it'll be fine.I keg both wine and mead without any problems. :)

#7 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

It's a 6 gl kit (Cab Sav) with Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212.Bad thing is my first home brew kit came with a 7.5 gl bucket. I used it once in the past 5-6 years so I tossed it about 6 months ago as I was tired of looking at it collect dust. :)I would really hate ordering another bucket, but after reading the directions it says if I want to age it longer than 6 months then I need to add some more metabisulphite than what they send with the kit. So another order may be needed.Would a blow off tube possibly work?

Edited by Specks, 29 September 2010 - 06:09 PM.

#8 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:29 AM

It's a 6 gl kit (Cab Sav) with Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212.Bad thing is my first home brew kit came with a 7.5 gl bucket. I used it once in the past 5-6 years so I tossed it about 6 months ago as I was tired of looking at it collect dust. :)I would really hate ordering another bucket, but after reading the directions it says if I want to age it longer than 6 months then I need to add some more metabisulphite than what they send with the kit. So another order may be needed.Would a blow off tube possibly work?

I never throw out buckets. Once they are out of service for fermentations they are still food grade buckets so I use them for storing grain. The next one that I retire I'll be using to store bulk flour.I love RC212 and in this case it might be your savior too. RC212 is a moderate speed fermenter so it produces next to zero foam. I still couldn't say for sure as I've never tried to ferment with only a half gallon of headspace but if I were to do it RC212 would be a great yeast choice for the scenario.A blow off tube would definitely work but again just like beer you'll loose some wine to blowoff. The extra KMETA recommended is a good idea too. They still say only 1/4 tsp correct?

#9 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

The extra KMETA recommended is a good idea too. They still say only 1/4 tsp correct?

Yes, mixed in with 1/2 cup cool water.

#10 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

Wine is in carboy and I'll pitch here in a few. If fermentation gets carried away is the foam control detrimental to wine?

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

Wine yeasts rarely foam. I think mainly due to grapes not having the proteins that malt does.I say rarely, because I had a show mead with 71B foam on me to the point of needing a blow-off tube in the carboy. I guess the raspberry honey I used was high in protein.

the first country wine I made foamed up quite a bit, Rhubard Strawberry, with 1116 but it's pretty agressive

#12 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

Now I know I don't have the most sophisticated wine palate, but I just racked this over to its's most likely final resting place (kegged for now). Although it's only 5 months old I think it shows some promise. I'm somewhat stoked.

#13 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

Oh btw I found my bucket. I stashed it in the closet under the stairs. The fermentation never got out of control to where I had to add some anti-foam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users