#1 DgNt

DgNt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg, FL

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Hello, I'm a new brewer getting ready to to brew my 3rd batch -my first AG batch. I fairly rapidly acquired equipment and this will also be the first batch I ferment with thermal control (beyond the house A/C) with a chest freezer and analog JC. My intent was to use the chest freezer to control fermentation temps and use it to store ("cellar") my bottled beer (set around 50º) when nothing is fermenting.I'm currently dialing in the temp on the chest freezer prior to brewing next Saturday and being in Florida am getting quite a bit of condensation inside with the temp set at 68º. I'm worried about mold forming over time, especially if I use the freezer for storage and don't dry it out or freeze it between batches. Eventually, there may be some corny kegs in there and I don't want them moldy either! I guess I could move the freezer from the garage and into the house (maybe once it's a kegerator) but I'm not sure the wife will let me.The simplest thought I have right now is to spray and wipe down the inside before/after fermenting with Starsan but that won't be easy when filled with bottles.. much less bottles in cardboard cases that would soak up the condensation. How do you all deal with condensation? Kitty litter in mesh bags, Damp Rid? Thanks.DgNt

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68768 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hello, I'm a new brewer getting ready to to brew my 3rd batch -my first AG batch. I fairly rapidly acquired equipment and this will also be the first batch I ferment with thermal control (beyond the house A/C) with a chest freezer and analog JC. My intent was to use the chest freezer to control fermentation temps and use it to store ("cellar") my bottled beer (set around 50º) when nothing is fermenting.I'm currently dialing in the temp on the chest freezer prior to brewing next Saturday and being in Florida am getting quite a bit of condensation inside with the temp set at 68º. I'm worried about mold forming over time, especially if I use the freezer for storage and don't dry it out or freeze it between batches. Eventually, there may be some corny kegs in there and I don't want them moldy either! I guess I could move the freezer from the garage and into the house (maybe once it's a kegerator) but I'm not sure the wife will let me.The simplest thought I have right now is to spray and wipe down the inside before/after fermenting with Starsan but that won't be easy when filled with bottles.. much less bottles in cardboard cases that would soak up the condensation. How do you all deal with condensation? Kitty litter in mesh bags, Damp Rid? Thanks.DgNt

Damp rid is pretty popular I heari found a generic at local dollar tree store myself

#3 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26227 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

Damp-ridI also add a box of baking soda, but I'm not sure that does much.

#4 DgNt

DgNt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Thanks, I'll look at Dollar Tree for generic damp-rid. I had a package for a few years and finally gave it away, of course just before I had a need arise. Sounds like I'm not the only one with the problem at least... didn't see anything on searches. So far the brewing is going well so I'll accept the condensation hassle.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68768 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

you can also use bulk calcium chloride in a plastic container, set inside another plastic container with holes punched in it, if you can find it

#6 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19273 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

Make sure you have a good seal on the lid of the chest freezer, and that the drain plug is in the proper position so you aren't letting any humid air in.

#7 DgNt

DgNt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:29 AM

Make sure you have a good seal on the lid of the chest freezer, and that the drain plug is in the proper position so you aren't letting any humid air in.

The seal looks good and it never iced up excessively when in use as a freezer but then it wasn't opened as frequently as it will be if I use it for beer storage -I probably defrosted it about every 18 months or so. When the relative humidity is in the 90s (92% as I post this) a bit of moisture is going to get in with each opening. Even if no outside air got in, I would expect that an active fermentation will be pushing out some water vapor along with all those liters of CO2.It's not like there's a puddle in there but there is enough condensation that it "runs" and at 68º it's not cold enough to significantly retard mold growth. Hopefully damp-rid or something similar will help, otherwise, I'll just have to add routine cleaning/sanitizing of the freezer to my routine as a prophylactic measure.

#8 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:58 AM

First, Welcome!We know humidity here in GA as well. If you have a good seal, then the damprid should help.Also, how are you managing blowoff from the fermenter. If you are using a bubbler in there. You might try going to a blowoff tube into a jug of starsan. This might reduce the moisture a tad as well.

#9 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48163 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

You're right that fermentation causes a lot of water vapor as well. I've never found a great solution for this. DampRid works, but is awfully expensive. I tried some silicon (Do Not Eat!) reusable ones intended for gun safes, but they don't absorb enough in the cold to do any good.I've fallen back to putting an old towel in the bottom and changing it once a month or so. Wiping down the sides after you've left it open or after a ferment helps, too. Also, run a bead of silicone caulking around all the bottom seams of the freezer. It will keep out moisture, and make thinks much easier to clean when you have the inevitable spill or blowoff.

#10 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34042 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

good suggestions, but every time you open the thing you introduce warm, moist air. do what i do. live in an arid climate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users