#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

I've got 24lbs of wildflower honey, a bottle of pectic enzyme, some wine yeast, and it's peach season. Who's with me?Unfortunately my western slope peach hookup fell through this year (Figures :blush: ) but none the less Colorado peaches are hitting the local stores and they are ripe unlike the early season baseballs they were selling. If there is interest I'd be happy to run a group brew but otherwise I'll get this one going myself.So any interest in a group brew?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, I'll have to clear out some fermenter space but I think I can do that. I'm not going to be in Palisade for the wine festival so maybe I'll do it that weekend. Y'all will be at the GABF so I'll prolly get a head start on you. I'll go haunt the farmer's markets around here and see if they have any overripe peaches.

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, I'll have to clear out some fermenter space but I think I can do that. I'm not going to be in Palisade for the wine festival so maybe I'll do it that weekend. Y'all will be at the GABF so I'll prolly get a head start on you. I'll go haunt the farmer's markets around here and see if they have any overripe peaches.

I am going to hit up the Golden farmers market myself this weekend to see what I can find. If I can find them I'll blanch, pit, and freeze them this weekend. How many pounds of peaches are you thinking?

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

I am going to hit up the Golden farmers market myself this weekend to see what I can find. If I can find them I'll blanch, pit, and freeze them this weekend. How many pounds of peaches are you thinking?

15 at least, 20 would be better.

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

15 at least, 20 would be better.

I was thinking of going crazy and adding 20lbs but then I got to wondering just how large of a fermenter would you need to fit 5.5-6 gallons of mead and 20lbs of peaches?

#6 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

#### it dude. Lets all make a large batch together and use one of your big fancy barrels.

:blush:

Let me know when you are going, I'll tag along.

It runs from 8AM to 1PM on Saturday. I'm thinking 9ish. I hope whoever is selling peaches brings a lot.

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

Y'all doing peaches in the primary or secondary? Or both?

#8 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

Y'all doing peaches in the primary or secondary? Or both?

I have always done secondary with my fruit but I was thinking of tossing them in the primary this time. From past experiences with peaches I have found it difficult to get all the peach pulp out so the more rackings the better.

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

Schramm says bottle all that pulp.I'm wondering if I have freezer space to do this. The hop fairy snuck into my house and filled up my freezers. :blush: Or maybe it was Antoine Dodson.

#10 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

Schramm says bottle all that pulp.I'm wondering if I have freezer space to do this. The hop fairy snuck into my house and filled up my freezers. :blush: Or maybe it was Antoine Dodson.

I suppose in a still mead it would be fine. I can tell you from experience that it is NOT ok in a bottle conditioned beer. Eventually the yeast will eat the pulp making peachy bottle bombs.

#11 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

I'd be in for a group brew. The market has some amazing doughnut peaches right now and I have the fermenter space

#12 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:55 AM

So - we doing it? :blush:9ish works great - want to meet there or come by my place first?

Sounds good to me. Even with 20lbs of peaches I think the 6 gallons of mead would look awfully lonely in my big fermenters.I'll stop at your place and we can drive over together. Sometimes parking is limited.

I'd be in for a group brew. The market has some amazing doughnut peaches right now and I have the fermenter space

Cool. Sounds like the plan is to hunt down the fruit and get it prepped this weekend and then start the brew in the next week or two.

#13 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

Schramm's recipe? Any recipe modifications planned?I'd probably do 71b, +4lbs honey, 15lbs+ on the peaches added to secondary in large sacks to control the pulp a bit

Edited by EWW, 10 September 2010 - 07:33 AM.

#14 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

Schramm's recipe? Any recipe modifications planned?I'd probably do 71b, +4lbs honey, 15lbs+ on the peaches added to secondary in large sacks to control the pulp a bit

Yup Schramm's recipe. 71b for the yeast, I'm thinking a a final ABV of around 12% so however much honey required to get me there keeping in mind the dilution of the peach juice, 20lbs of peaches if I can find enough ripe peaches, and I'm going to add the fruit to primary. That sound good to you too Guest?

#15 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

That sounds good. The only sticky wicket would be getting enough ripe peaches for a good price. How many total gallons should we do? 12? 24?

I'm hoping to be able to find 40lbs of ripe peaches so 12 gallons total. Even then the price is going to be the driving point. I'm always willing to pay more for good fruit but only so much more.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

Usually the overripe peaches are cheaper.

#17 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

I don't know much about pectic enzyme... How much do you use? I've always added approx. 1/8 tsp approx per gallon of fruit...does that sound right?

#18 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

You know... it is only 4 hours each way to Palisade. Roadtrip? The pears are also in season....

You're serious aren't you.

#19 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

So tomorrow I am driving to get about 200 pounds of peaches.I want to make 10 gallons myself, so 40 pounds for my share in the barrel.

put me down for 40lbs of peaches. 20lbs for mead and 20lbs for canning. So long as the pears are ripe I'll take 2 cases of those too. So we are doing a 15 gallon batch of mead now? Oh boy.

#20 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

Today, strangebrewer and I made this up, and it is one for the books. 15 gallon batch using: 60 pounds fall off the pit ripe peaches (red lady variety), 6 ounces grated fresh ginger, and 36 pounds CO wildflower honey. Our OG reading was about 1.112, IIRC, which might actually be lower, due to dilution by yet to be extracted peach juice and by some suspended particles. We pitched a cake of 71B I had from a honey only 12% mead, about a quarts worth. It is all sitting in strangebrewer's basement in a 55 gallon plastic drum. It smells and tastes fantastic. I'm glad I own 10 gallons of it.

I'm so jealous...my peaches are sitting Preped and ready in the freezer. I should get this going next weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users