#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

Guess I should have checked but I thought I had a boatload of nobles left. Guess I burnt through them on an Alt binge.Anyway, all I have is Spalt and Saaz. Not really my first choices but they are nobles. Or, since this is mostly for summer session and for a guys lake trip it doesn't need to be authentic.I'm considering bastardizing it with Cascade and Cents, harvest the yeast and then brew what I really intended a couple weeks later..............

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

You could go with either Spalt or Saaz for bittering. I don't do flavor/aroma additions for Kolsches, but a little bit of Saaz might be nice.I think you can make a nice, authentic Kolsch with what you have.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

You could go with either Spalt or Saaz for bittering. I don't do flavor/aroma additions for Kolsches, but a little bit of Saaz might be nice.I think you can make a nice, authentic Kolsch with what you have.

I think that's what I'll do, and probably a little Saaz at Flameout.And just ordered 4 lbs of Nobles since the first post..... ah, hopsdirect.

#4 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

There is a short article in the May-June issue of BYO by Jamil and he mentions that any German noble hop is fine. So may as well go with the Spalts since you've got them.I've got a Kolsch in primary right now that I'm making for Jugs. I used Hallertau though. Never made one before. Hopefully it will pass muster and be a decent beer.

#5 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18673 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

I've given a small amount of thought to making a kolsch now and again. I've never cared for any of the 4 commercial kolsch styles I've tried, but I'd be willing to give the style another chance just to be fair about it.Hmm . . . I've not brewed a batch in a while. Although I've had my eye on either a Belgian dark or an English bitter, this may help to change my mind.

#6 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29333 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

make a bo pils with the saaz and the splat for the kolsch.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

I've given a small amount of thought to making a kolsch now and again. I've never cared for any of the 4 commercial kolsch styles I've tried, but I'd be willing to give the style another chance just to be fair about it.Hmm . . . I've not brewed a batch in a while. Although I've had my eye on either a Belgian dark or an English bitter, this may help to change my mind.

I like it in the summer, a nice delicate style. Easy to try but hard to really nail it. Well, not that hard but it takes some doing........

#8 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

Honestly, you can't rely on the oxidized and stale Kolsch's we get over here for a good representation of the style.

#9 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

I'd go with a blend of Spalt and Saaz...because it sounds good right about now!

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

Shiner and Schlafly make a decent one if you can get it fresh. Never had one in Germany but these two are enjoyable.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

..........splat for the kolsch.

Might as well, I'm starting to get too old for that........... :)

#12 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:47 AM

I've used both for a Kolsch, and both beers were really nice. So far this is my favorite style.

#13 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:17 AM

I just placed an order for some Spalt and Hallertauer for my upcoming Kolsch. The plan is to bitter with the Spalt and then a mid-boil addition of Hallertauer.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

I just kicked my keg of Kolsch a couple of weeks ago and am now "missing" it. I still have the yeast cake in a mason jar in the fridge. It's a few months old by now. Any idea if I could salvage it? How would I go about doing it? Can I make a starter and introduce some of the yeast cake???

#15 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:00 AM

Can I make a starter and introduce some of the yeast cake???

That's exactly what I'd do. I routinely dump cake into mason jars and store them in the fridge. I've tried just pitching it directly from mason jar to wort and also waking it up in a starter. When I just pitched a cup of stored slurry the lag time was a bit more, but it ended up with same results. The starter method is probably a better bet.

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

That's exactly what I'd do. I routinely dump cake into mason jars and store them in the fridge. I've tried just pitching it directly from mason jar to wort and also waking it up in a starter. When I just pitched a cup of stored slurry the lag time was a bit more, but it ended up with same results. The starter method is probably a better bet.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread... I'll start a new thread on storing yeast slurry.

#17 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

I just brewed a batch of Kolsch about 3 weeks ago. Its lagering now at 35 degrees but I brewed mine with Hallertau. If I didn't have that I would go Spalt then Saaz, they are both good hops though. I tasted mine out of primary and it tasted awesome so sometime it will be on tap. I brewed mine with 1007 and I was impressed with how it fermented and how it tasted FG=1.008.

#18 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

I brewed my Sneaky Big Blonde Ale recipe coming up on a month ago now pitched a fat starter of Kolsch yeast. It's not clearing in the secondary with some gelatin finings. I used an ounce of Hallertau Traditions as my bittering hop and finished it with Saaz at like 5 mins. Bottling a week from tonight and uber excited about this one!

#19 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

It's not clearing in the secondary with some gelatin finings.

Excuse my typo, it's NOW in the secondary with the gelatin!

#20 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

How is perle in comparison to the other German varieties like spalt or tett? Seems like it would be a great dual purpose at 9% AA but I have little experience with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users