#21 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

Just a note for next year... I use kithcen string (for tying up meats) and others use twine. Less expensive. You will find the easiest way to discard the bine at the end of the season is to just cut down the string and throw it all away in the compost or yard waste recycling bin. If you think you want to save the nylon, it'll probably be a PITA to get the bine off of it. With disposable (i.e. inexpensive) string, you can throw it away and not worry about it. Sorry I posted this advice too late. Of course FWIW, YMMV. Just speaking from my personal experience.

I just strung mine today. I use Jute. Its cheap and 100% compostable/biodegradable. Its the stuff they make burlap out of. HD and Lowes carry it in the twine section.

#22 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

I just strung mine today. I use Jute. Its cheap and 100% compostable/biodegradable. Its the stuff they make burlap out of. HD and Lowes carry it in the twine section.

What keeps the end near the ground from rotting and breaking? My nylon ropes certainly get hit with some moisture.

#23 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

I used plastic coated metal wire. Bines comes off pretty easily after harvest.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

I used plastic coated metal wire. Bines comes off pretty easily after harvest.

Yeah - I can't image it would be too hard to strip the plant material off my ropes either. Whatever works I guess...

#25 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

What keeps the end near the ground from rotting and breaking? My nylon ropes certainly get hit with some moisture.

The Colorado climate? I really dont know, but the jute didnt rot last year. I have the string tied to an 18" metal garden spike (the 74¢ kind from HD with the loop on one end). Where the rope is tied to is about 3"-4" above the soil. I guess that's enough for it to dry out. This year I have a sprayer and drip line set up in the garden bed, so the ropes may rot, but I really doubt it.

#26 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

I went with nylon cord from Lowes for my strings. They are 40lb test I hope mine don't rot. Its dry here often so my watering will provide most of the moisture for them. I have a question I wanna ask and will post here instead of a new thread. Now I know this won't apply to me being first year hops for those of you that are 2nd, 3rd, 4th year growers how much do you normally harvest in a year from one of your hop rhizomes? I am thinking dried weight since I know they weigh more fresh and wet. I am just curious to get a ballpark idea of what to look forward to in coming years. Nugget, Cascade, Willamette here for me.

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

I went with nylon cord from Lowes for my strings. They are 40lb test I hope mine don't rot. Its dry here often so my watering will provide most of the moisture for them. I have a question I wanna ask and will post here instead of a new thread. Now I know this won't apply to me being first year hops for those of you that are 2nd, 3rd, 4th year growers how much do you normally harvest in a year from one of your hop rhizomes? I am thinking dried weight since I know they weigh more fresh and wet. I am just curious to get a ballpark idea of what to look forward to in coming years. Nugget, Cascade, Willamette here for me.

I don't think nylon rope will rot since it's synthetic.

#28 AAASTINKIE

AAASTINKIE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

Last year was the 2nd year for 4 Cascade plants for me, I had just over 1 pound of DRY hops when it was done, I know this because I thought I had around 3 before it dried so I sold 1 pound on EBay and when I weighed it I had just enough with 2oz left for one batch of beer for me...won't be selling any this year...

#29 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:27 AM

... how much do you normally harvest in a year from one of your hop rhizomes? ...

Actually, I get zero from the rhizomes. They're still in the ground. :DYea, and donkeys shouldn't go to collegeTo answer your question, My 4 year old Cascade mess of vines that started off with three rhizomes yielded 5 lbs wet.Half of it was dried out because I had no watering system. They also turned into a tight hop bush at the point where they went up the tomato trellis to the deck and I then tried to train them horizontally. That strangled a lot of hops. Ever see an albino hop? A pale almost white very light green. That's how dense the bush was.So hopefully this year that changes.

#30 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Last year, a wind-storm blew through near the end of the summer. My twine was not rotten but the wind was so strong that the twine broke near ground level. But by then the hops were strong enough to support themselves, so there was no damage to the hops.That was a 2nd year Centennial, and it produced 2lbs of dried hops from one crown. I did not do any pruning and just let the darn thing go wherever it wanted. This year, I've pruned it down to 4 bines per string (4 strings). I'm hoping I'll get bigger but fewer cones and end up with the same amount of dried hops with less work.

#31 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

Last year was the 2nd year for 4 Cascade plants for me, I had just over 1 pound of DRY hops when it was done, I know this because I thought I had around 3 before it dried so I sold 1 pound on EBay and when I weighed it I had just enough with 2oz left for one batch of beer for me...won't be selling any this year...

Hey, isn't the whole point of growing your own so that you have your own "stores" with an initial investment of @ $5 for the zome? :D I'd like to have enough variety and quantity that going to my LHBS for hops will be secondary to going to the freezer.I guess I'd be willing to do trades though for the stuff I don't grow...

#32 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

I like your idea and philosophy Deerslyr. For me the whole point in trying to grow my own is to get them to grow well and If I can harvest enough hops for a few beers (Nugget) and be able to use for aroma and flavor my others (Will, Casc) then I will be very happy. I already got the freezer stocked with hops to last me a good long while so growing enough would never work for me. Seeing at how easily these rhizomes have grown I am already thinking of another area in my yard that I could put in some posts and wiring and really plant a bunch of rhizomes. So far for less than a month its been great to see all the success you here are having and I like seeing my own outside as well.

#33 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

I like your idea and philosophy Deerslyr. For me the whole point in trying to grow my own is to get them to grow well and If I can harvest enough hops for a few beers (Nugget) and be able to use for aroma and flavor my others (Will, Casc) then I will be very happy. I already got the freezer stocked with hops to last me a good long while so growing enough would never work for me. Seeing at how easily these rhizomes have grown I am already thinking of another area in my yard that I could put in some posts and wiring and really plant a bunch of rhizomes. So far for less than a month its been great to see all the success you here are having and I like seeing my own outside as well.

I'm pretty much with you on the reasoning - I'm also growing them just b/c I like growing stuff and I think they will look pretty cool on my deck. What I'd really like is a hop canopy covering my whole deck so when you sit out there you are just loaded with hop scent ;)

#34 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

Well I found the time tonight to get outside and dig up the one rhizome of mine that I saw no shoots coming up. It was a Nugget rhizome which was one of the types that I planted two. There was nothing new on the rhizome what so ever. I saw nothing that looked like new growth and it looked like a stick with the old roots that I remember at planting. Its alright thats why they say plant two of each right? I put it back in the ground horizontal instead of vertical but I don't expect anything from it. Oh well one slot for another variety next year or a new Nugget as well. The funny thing to me is that the other Nugget rhizome is the longest so far between it and the Willamette and Cascade I also grew. Its all good 4 growing well so far that works for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users