#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31550 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

I want to make some root beer. I see that my LHBS has little bottles of extract that I can buy and basically add sugar and force carb I guess - there are no instructions on the outside of the little box so I am just guessing here. So just curious on if anyone has like a recipe that they use or suggestions for this new venture of mine.Thanks!

#2 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

I want to make some root beer. I see that my LHBS has little bottles of extract that I can buy and basically add sugar and force carb I guess - there are no instructions on the outside of the little box so I am just guessing here. So just curious on if anyone has like a recipe that they use or suggestions for this new venture of mine.Thanks!

I did it with my ex it is pretty easy, you just need a whole lot of sugar.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

Instructions are inside. Don't use yeast. Force carbonate.They are usually 4 gallons, not 5, so keep an eye on diluting it in a 5 gallon keg. I add some other spices from the cupboard. I also sub other kinds of sugar to get different results. I also kick up the extract a bit using some of a second bottle to get to 5 gallons and make it more rooty flavored.I have used cinnamon stick, almond extract, coconut extract, vanilla extract, rum extract, and molasses (very little goes a LONG ways). Sugars have been raw, cane, brown, light brown, honey, maple syrup, Karo syrup, and even NutraSweet concentrate crystals. I sub them lb for lb for the sugar (except the concentrate).

#4 Darin

Darin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictorville, CA

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

I made some last year using a kit from morebeer. It turned out alright and the kit comes with all the sugar and honey you need plus the extract. All you need to provide is the water.

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

ask herrhiller.

#6 scootertig

scootertig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLeesburg, VA

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

I've got a great recipe somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. It was given to me by the head brewer at the Virginia Beverage Company, about 10 years ago (they're long since defunct, and replaced, and defuncted anew). I also made some with yeast (natural carbonation), and it was, ummm, different. I was much younger then, and didn't really drink beer, so the yeastiness threw me off. I should try again to see if I find it any more palatable.aaron

#7 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9175 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

Find my recipe here I made those little brown box ones before, not hatefull, but not half as good as the zatarans.Definitely force carb.

#8 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:19 PM

Anyone try making it with real sassafras root? It doesn't grow around here but I know it's all over the place in MI.

#9 AAASTINKIE

AAASTINKIE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

I bought a case of Zaterain's on Amazon with free shipping for around $26 with free shipping, deal of the century.

#10 43hertz

43hertz

Gold Star Recipient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8660 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

I use the McCormick's concentrate from Walmart. I only use 80% of the sugar that they call for in the recipe included, and I add a teaspoon of mexican vanilla extract.Perfect for my tastes.

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31550 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

I just picked up a bottle of the gnome root beer extract at my LHBS. Being I am going to force carb, should I reduce the sugar content at all being I am not going to be using yeast that would be consuming some of the sugar or is it so negligible for this that I should even worry about it?

#12 43hertz

43hertz

Gold Star Recipient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8660 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

I just picked up a bottle of the gnome root beer extract at my LHBS. Being I am going to force carb, should I reduce the sugar content at all being I am not going to be using yeast that would be consuming some of the sugar or is it so negligible for this that I should even worry about it?

Negligible, IMO.I cut back because I didn't on my first batch and it was just too sweet and I didn't need the calories. I also think that the addition of vanilla can enhance what sweetness is present.

#13 TheOtherNate

TheOtherNate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHaymarket, VA

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

We do root beer and birch beer... I've never deviated from the recipe: 1 bottle extract, 4 gal water. 4lbs sugar. Force carb.I'm not really a connoisseur of root beer, but the birch beer reminds me of an old hole-in-the-wall mexican food joint I used to go to...Nate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users