14 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

So I was reading all the the starter, canning threads and started to wonder about the nutrient.Anyone have any idea what it is exactly?Michael

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

Some can correct me if I'm wrong, my memory may not serve me here, but I believe it's a mix of proteins (derived from autolyzed yeast) and salts that help the new yeast create stronger cellular structure.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

UREA...yes basically pee....mix of nitrogen and other such chemicals that yeast like

#4 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

A blend of vitamins, minerals, inorganic nitrogen, organic nitrogen, zinc, phosphates and other trace elements that will benefit yeast growth and complete fermentation. Additional nutrients are most valuable during yeast propagation and sluggish or stuck fermentations. Supplementing with nutrients will reduce lag time, improve viability and provide consistent attenuation rates.as stated by Wyeast Laboratories

#5 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

There are several different varieties of yeast nutrients. Servomyces is what JKoravos is referring to:

Servo is yeast and is propagated in a micronutrient rich environment then, and is killed off prior to packaging. Boiling incorporates the Servo into the wort. The benefit of Servo is that micronutrients, e.g. zinc, are able to pass through its cell walls to your live yeast cell, thereby delivering the micronutrients without toxicity. Because this system is so effective in eliminating autolysis and improving the health of your yeast, it should be used in every batch.

https://www.whitelab.....ients Section

#6 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

Would there be any nutrient benefit to tossing a bit of old yeast slurry into the boil?

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

Would there be any nutrient benefit to tossing a bit of old yeast slurry into the boil?

yes, they are like the donner party

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

I have some Nottingham slurry from January and now I know what to do with it.

#9 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

I have some Nottingham slurry from January and now I know what to do with it.

That seems like an undignified ending for those billions of yeast cells that worked so hard to ferment your beer for you. But at least they should be able to find meaning and purpose in their fate.

#10 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19231 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

Anyone have any idea what it is exactly?

Mostly free amino nitrogen (FAN), sometimes with zinc and other nutrients added in.An all-malt wort shouldn't need yeast nutrient, but on the other hand things like mead really need yeast nutrient because they have 1/10th the concentration of FAN.

#11 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

That seems like an undignified ending for those billions of yeast cells that worked so hard to ferment your beer for you. But at least they should be able to find meaning and purpose in their fate.

If you want to make an omelet...

#12 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

Ok, now I'll have to go through the chemical cabinets at school and see what they've got.

#13 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

Mostly free amino nitrogen (FAN), sometimes with zinc and other nutrients added in.An all-malt wort shouldn't need yeast nutrient, but on the other hand things like mead really need yeast nutrient because they have 1/10th the concentration of FAN.

However if your are having problems with batches continually stalling out at too high a gravity, a teaspoon in the last 2 minutes of the boil could be the edge your wort needs to give your yeast the extra attenuation power it needs.

#14 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25652 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

I think it yeast nutrient varies from brand to brand.I know servomyces is a special zinc compound that yeast can consume easily.My empirical knowledge says it works great and worth the $1.75 per batch.zymot

#15 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

Dude... that is harsh! Funny as hell, but harsh! I think about that everytime I drive past Donner Pass on the way to Reno!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users