14 replies to this topic

#1 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

this has been in the secondary for 2-3 days and racked with 1/2 pack of gelatin. Not an infection right? Just yeast?Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 carluchi

carluchi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChardon, Oh

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

Well I don't see any rope like structures, so that's good. At first I was just gonna congratulate you on a nice English variety krausen (WLP02 perhaps), but you said this is the secondary, so I'm not sure now. I still lean twords a yeast blob though. How's it smell and more importantly, taste?Also, why gelatin after only 2 - 3 days in secondary? Seems kinda quick to do that.

#3 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

Well I don't see any rope like structures, so that's good. At first I was just gonna congratulate you on a nice English variety krausen (WLP02 perhaps), but you said this is the secondary, so I'm not sure now. I still lean twords a yeast blob though. How's it smell and more importantly, taste?Also, why gelatin after only 2 - 3 days in secondary? Seems kinda quick to do that.

Why? It should've finished fermenting before transferring over. There is no reason to wait longer.

#4 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

Well I don't see any rope like structures, so that's good. At first I was just gonna congratulate you on a nice English variety krausen (WLP02 perhaps), but you said this is the secondary, so I'm not sure now.

1 pack dry Safale S-04

I still lean twords a yeast blob though. How's it smell and more importantly, taste?

i haven't tried it yet. didn't want to take the airlock off and let a bunch of O2 in.

Also, why gelatin after only 2 - 3 days in secondary? Seems kinda quick to do that.

everything i've brewed so far has been hazy. it was recommended on here to try racking a 1/2 pack of gelatin to help the yeast fall out and clear the beer further.

#5 dnb

dnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:12 PM

It wasn't raining the day you brewed by any chance was it? I had something similar happen on a batch recently, first time I've ever seen it too, although I only had a couple of small clumps. I'm drinking it and it isn't killing me so.... :rolf:

#6 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

It wasn't raining the day you brewed by any chance was it? I had something similar happen on a batch recently, first time I've ever seen it too, although I only had a couple of small clumps. I'm drinking it and it isn't killing me so.... :rolf:

80~85 degs partially cloudy and very humid that day. we had thunderstorms pretty much every day last week.

#7 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Your not missing your pet Boa Constrictor are you? I have never seen anything thing like that. other than stuff floating in the ocean :rolf:

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54313 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

Yeast. No worries.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

Posted Image

Ok... once I figured out that you have a bag of hops in there (I was trying to figure out if you just threw the gelatin, packaging and all, in there) it certainly looks like yeast to me.How long was it in the primary? You didn't give us that information? Did you have steady gravity readings indicating that it was essentially done? Only other thing I can think of is some protein, which happened to me and everything was just fine. Take a sample and taste it.

#10 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

Are there any dirty diapers that have not been accounted for?

#11 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:34 AM

Dang I was too slow.I thought the first pic looked a little stringy, but Ken is probably right.... yeast. A smell/taste test will tell a lot. If you are gentle and use a thief to get your sample, you wont introduce much O2 at all.

Edited by ChefLamont, 12 May 2009 - 04:36 AM.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54313 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

Does S-04 floc like a typical liquid English ale yeast? Some of these high-floccing yeasts will form a clumped layer that has the ability to float and stay together. That's what it looks like to me. I agree that if you didn't know there was a hop bag in there, you would wince at the sight of it. When you rack, just try to stay away from the yeast & my guess is that you'll have nice, clear, dry hopped beer. Cheers.

#13 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

i did witness a large clump falling to the bottom when i moved the carboy a little. i'm hoping that more will continue to settle out to the bottom of the carboy.i did put a comment in the thread description about the hop bag but not in the body of the topic. :rolf:

#14 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

Does S-04 floc like a typical liquid English ale yeast?

i'm really not sure. i was told it was same as the s-05 yeast but twice the amount IIRC...someone else might be able to confirm this.

#15 NomNomHopzinator

NomNomHopzinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Haha, maybe a pair of dirty socks? I have heard that that that is how they make alcohol in prisons...juice through a dirty sock...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users