15 replies to this topic

#1 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:30 PM

I think after 5 years of brewing it's time to get an unbiased, professional opinion of my brews. My problem is I have no clue how to start that. Any thoughts on an upcoming comp. If it helps I'm in Alabama, but since homebrew is illegal here, not counting on too many local comps. Is there a list of open comps?

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:37 PM

https://www.bjcp.org...on_schedule.phpi have yet to enter anything as well...I must this year

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

https://www.bjcp.org...on_schedule.phpi have yet to enter anything as well...I must this year

I'd rather just have a pro taste my beer and tell me straight up. Any takers?edit: You'll be required to show some credentials :rolf:

#4 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

Here's a scan of my credentials:Posted ImageI can has beer now?

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

Here's a scan of my credentials:Posted ImageI can has beer now?

Sure - just cross the country and stop by my house.

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

well I looked over that list and I think i am going to join the 2nd Annual Liquid Poetry Slam in Fort Collins.My LHBS shop here in Denver is a drop off point so that seems easy enough. I guess my question is, is can I just take it over there anytime til the dead line and do they store them cold or what happens to them after i drop it off....se i am new to this thing

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

Beersox. Your LHBS won't store your beer cold. They will put them with the rest of the entries and they will stay like that till they go to the competition. It could be a good suggestion to wait closer to deadline to drop them off too

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

Beersox. Your LHBS won't store your beer cold. They will put them with the rest of the entries and they will stay like that till they go to the competition. It could be a good suggestion to wait closer to deadline to drop them off too

alright thanks...i guess there is no use in chilling them down then dropping them off, how long do they get put in cold storage before serving generally? a few days? First time I tasted the one I am planning on entering I thought it could do pretty well at a comp and I would like to get some feedback on it anyway but I am a little confused at what I should enter it under.I am thinking either an english IPA or an american amber here's a general recipe if anyone has any ideas:GrainCrisp pale baseamerican victoryDurst Munich 40MelanoidinHopsFWH of Perle and Palisadealong with equal additons of perle and palisade for flavor and aromaUS-05OG: 1.076 FG: 1.013 according to promash 75 IBUs but tastes a lot more balanced.

#9 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

no ideas eh

#10 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

no ideas eh

never mind then...i guess this actually fits better in the Strong Ale category

#11 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29337 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

what does it taste like it is hard to know what style it fits w/o getting info on the aroma, flavor, appearence, and mouthfeel. Sometimes you can look at the recipe and know if it would fit a style, but would need amounts of the ingredients.

#12 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

what does it taste like it is hard to know what style it fits w/o getting info on the aroma, flavor, appearence, and mouthfeel. Sometimes you can look at the recipe and know if it would fit a style, but would need amounts of the ingredients.

Yea...that makes sense...I was looking at the guidelines and I think considering every aspect it comes the closest to the Old Ale category.

#13 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

Your local homebrew shop always stores my entries cold. :)

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

Your local homebrew shop always stores my entries cold. :)

I am confused

#15 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

I am confused

ncbeerbrewer's local homebrew shop always stores my entries in their fridge when I drop beer off for competitions.

#16 big harry deehl

big harry deehl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

I think after 5 years of brewing it's time to get an unbiased, professional opinion of my brews. My problem is I have no clue how to start that. Any thoughts on an upcoming comp. If it helps I'm in Alabama, but since homebrew is illegal here, not counting on too many local comps. Is there a list of open comps?

We're not professionals, but our brew club would be very unbiased. If you are near Birmingham, our meeting is this Sunday. PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users