#1 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

Man what a pain in the arse today... mashed with 2 qts per pound, hit my mash temp at 152... argggggg, stuck sparge.... 8 lb Golden Promise, 1 pound of home-toasted Oat Malt (30 mins at 300 deg) and an ounce of UK Chocolate malt... next time, rice hulls in there too I think... 1 oz Northdown at 60 mins and 1/4 oz Northdown at 10 mins. I had to use a strainer to do the "sparge", got it done, just took a long time... pitched WYeast Scottish Ale yeast...OK done complaining now, thanks for listening...

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

I am actually pretty surprised you got a stuck sparge with only a pound of oats.

#3 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

Yeah, I've used 1 pound or more in 5 gallons without issue. Maybe the crush on the rest of the grains contributed?

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

Pretty sure I told you that before :rolf: On the other hand, you probably got more sugar out than anticipated. Rice hulls are always a good idea when using anything other than barley. I never seem to have much of a problem, but the rice hulls help.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

Man what a pain in the arse today... mashed with 2 qts per pound, hit my mash temp at 152... argggggg, stuck sparge.... 8 lb Golden Promise, 1 pound of home-toasted Oat Malt (30 mins at 300 deg) and an ounce of UK Chocolate malt... next time, rice hulls in there too I think... 1 oz Northdown at 60 mins and 1/4 oz Northdown at 10 mins. I had to use a strainer to do the "sparge", got it done, just took a long time... pitched WYeast Scottish Ale yeast...OK done complaining now, thanks for listening...

Oh btw, sometimes oats can cause stuck sparges :rolf:

#6 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hey thanks for telling me guys! I feel better now :rolf: And to top it off, I went down to the room where I keep all of the fermenting goodies and of course the spigot in the bucket was leaking... so I sanitized another bucket and transferred... ugh... I think I need to call it Cluster F Ale, except for the fact there are no Cluster hops in there lol

#7 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11713 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

I'll try to provide more helpful advice: rye is really bad, too.I'm not sure if I've ever used oat malt; is it commonly available?

#8 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

Oat malt usually has one helluva husk...are you sure it was Oat malt? or was it Golden naked oats?

#9 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

Oat malt usually has one helluva husk...are you sure it was Oat malt? or was it Golden naked oats?

Drew: No it was definitely oat malt... and yes lots of husk but also the tiny little oat kernels and lots of starch particles.... maybe it was just all coinky-dink and I just got a stuck sparge??Ben: yes oat malt is readily available... I got mine from Northern Brewer... Thomas Fawcett Oat Malt.

#10 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

crizazy I've used up to 3 lbs of rolled oats in a 6 gallon batch no problem....streeeeange. well better brew again soon to set things straight :rolf:

#11 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

crizazy I've used up to 3 lbs of rolled oats in a 6 gallon batch no problem....streeeeange. well better brew again soon to set things straight :)

Yes indeedy... of course my wife says "honey it will probably be the best beer you've ever made" bless her heart :rolf:

#12 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

I've brewed probably a half dozen batches that call for either flaked wheat or oats and have always been concerned about stuck sparges. Knock on wood, it's never happened to me. But in reading all these posts about folks being frustrated by the stuck sparge and relieving this problem with rice hulls, I have to ask...what do rice hulls do that cures the stuck sparge? And when someone suggests adding rice hulls to the mash, are we talking about just good ole' Uncle Ben's rice out of a box?Thanks!

#13 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:48 AM

The Rice Hulls act as a filter bed for the water to pass through and keep the sticky grains away from your manifold or false bottom. You buy rice hulls from your LHBS. Link shows what they look like, cheap a dirt. I used than all the time on wheats Link

#14 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

Ive never had a stuck sparge using Oat Malt either. I do know its a bitch to mill and may need to be run thru twice. I also add it to the top of my mash. But as husky as it is, im surprised you got stuck and only using the amount you did. By adding sticky grains, its always advisable to add it to the top of the mash. I use a manifold and have never been stuck using this technique. Never needed to use rice hulls.

Edited by Blktre, 12 May 2009 - 07:04 AM.

#15 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:18 AM

The Rice Hulls act as a filter bed for the water to pass through and keep the sticky grains away from your manifold or false bottom. You buy rice hulls from your LHBS. Link shows what they look like, cheap a dirt. I used than all the time on wheats Link

Thanks, that's interesting. Might try it on my upcoming Belgian Wit. From a process standpoint, do you pitch the rulls hulls in first so they're resting on the bottom of the mash tun and on top of the (in my case) SS braid? Or do you just toss them in with your crushed grains?

#16 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

Ive never had a stuck sparge using Oat Malt either. I do know its a bitch to mill and may need to be run thru twice. I also add it to the top of my mash. But as husky as it is, im surprised you got stuck and only using the amount you did. By adding sticky grains, its always advisable to add it to the top of the mash. I use a manifold and have never been stuck using this technique. Never needed to use rice hulls.

Ahhhhh... I just mixed it all together... so just add to the top of the mash and don't mix them in too much is what you're saying?

#17 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

I wet them as they will absorb some of your mash water. I just mix them in as I am mashing in. Throw in rice hullsThrow in some grainsThrow in rice hullsThrow in some grainMix it well and seal it up for mashing.

#18 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

Ahhhhh... I just mixed it all together... so just add to the top of the mash and don't mix them in too much is what you're saying?

Yup. Mill separate and mix in the top 1/3 of the mash. No need for rice hulls as the sticky grains stay up on top and sparge water doesn't have a problem cutting thu it. But then again, some folks are batch spargers and feel the need to stir the mash in between sparges. I'm more in line w/the thinking of using the grain bed as a filter, so no stirring for me.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

Hey thanks for telling me guys! I feel better now :) And to top it off, I went down to the room where I keep all of the fermenting goodies and of course the spigot in the bucket was leaking... so I sanitized another bucket and transferred... ugh... I think I need to call it Cluster F Ale, except for the fact there are no Cluster hops in there lol

Dry hop it with cluster and fuggles, then call it Cluster Fugg Ale. :rolf:

#20 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

Dry hop it with cluster and fuggles, then call it Cluster Fugg Ale. :rolf:

:) :covreyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users