8 replies to this topic

#1 Darin

Darin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictorville, CA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

Hi everyone!Today was my first all grain brew. It's gonna take some getting used to. There are some things I'm going to have to prepare for the day before I brew to make things run a little smoother next time.I'm brewing a Scottish 80 Schilling. The OG is supposed to be 1.042. I measured my pre boil gravity and it was 1.042. I think part of that might be the fact that I couldn't control my mash temp.Should be an alright beer though.Darin :cheers:

#2 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2666 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

Congratulations and don't worry, it gets a lot easier. My first all grain took me about 7 hours. Now after a few years, it takes maybe 4.5 for 10 gallons. You'll also eventually learn your system and it will be almost intuitive for you to hit your numbers.

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19231 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

I'm brewing a Scottish 80 Schilling. The OG is supposed to be 1.042. I measured my pre boil gravity and it was 1.042. I think part of that might be the fact that I couldn't control my mash temp.

How was your volume? The first thing I do when my pre-boil OG is too high is to check that I got as much liquid as I expected. Expected amount of sugars in too little liquid = high OG.

#4 Darin

Darin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

How was your volume? The first thing I do when my pre-boil OG is too high is to check that I got as much liquid as I expected. Expected amount of sugars in too little liquid = high OG.

I planned on boiling 7 gallons. I wound up with 6 gallons. Had to add another gallon of water to the wort.

#5 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

I planned on boiling 7 gallons. I wound up with 6 gallons. Had to add another gallon of water to the wort.

Why didn't you sparge more?Your losing sugar by cutting of the lauter and adding water....BrewBasser

#6 Darin

Darin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

Why didn't you sparge more?Your losing sugar by cutting of the lauter and adding water....BrewBasser

Never even thought about that,,,, LOL! First timer mistake.I took my FG and it measured 1.053,,,,, which calculates in ProMash as 72% efficiency. I don't think that's too bad for a first time batch.

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

I took my FG and it measured 1.053,,,,, which calculates in ProMash as 72% efficiency. I don't think that's too bad for a first time batch.

I think the key here is that it was your first time and you don't know the efficiency of your own system... if you hit 72% in a full 5 gallons I think you had a pretty successful first go at it.

#8 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:50 PM

I think the key here is that it was your first time and you don't know the efficiency of your own system... if you hit 72% in a full 5 gallons I think you had a pretty successful first go at it.

Agreed. My first all grain batch ended up with a very dismal system efficiency because I accounted for the boil kettle's dead space with the amount of water but not the amount of grain. Still turned into a drinkable beer but not great by anybodies standards.

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

Welcome to All Grain Darin. Yes I agree it only gets easier from here. My first all grain mash got stuck and it was not due to the grains. The elbow of the drain on my false bottom was sitting on the bottom of the mash tun and wouldn't drain. Sounds like you did fine and will have yourself a good beer as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users