36 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54234 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

I know fly-spargers like to refer to the "sparges" in batch sparging as rinses so I will call them rinses. Anyway, I mash and then do two rinses with about 3 gallons for number 1 and then about 2 or 2½ gallons for number 2. I'm probably late to the party here, but have any of you been doing just one rinse as opposed to 2 separate ones? I would have plenty of room in my MT for all of the rinse water. I thought I remember hearing that this could effect efficiency or whatever... so what's everyone doing for this? Is there a reason to do 2 rinses? Cheers.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

I know fly-spargers like to refer to the "sparges" in batch sparging as rinses so I will call them rinses. Anyway, I mash and then do two rinses with about 3 gallons for number 1 and then about 2 or 2½ gallons for number 2. I'm probably late to the party here, but have any of you been doing just one rinse as opposed to 2 separate ones? I would have plenty of room in my MT for all of the rinse water. I thought I remember hearing that this could effect efficiency or whatever... so what's everyone doing for this? Is there a reason to do 2 rinses? Cheers.

After draining the liquid from my mash I only rinse one time. I could see 2+ times possibly helping efficiency but probably not by a lot.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18077 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

After draining the liquid from my mash I only rinse one time. I could see 2+ times possibly helping efficiency but probably not by a lot.

This is the way I do it too. I have done multiple times but only when my MLT was full and I had to split it up.

#4 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

I sparge in one batch. My efficiency is usually 75-80%. I even got an unexpected 77% efficiency for a 1.094 Doppelbock this weekend. Works for me.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Back when I batch sparged, I would do two. My efficiency was near 85%.

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10748 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

A typical batch with 10-12 lbs of grain, I mash with 3 gallons and then before vorlaf I add an extra gallon then drain. I then measure my volume (usually about 3 gallons) and will then add typically another 3-1/2 gallons vorlaf and drain. That gets me a starting volume of 6-1/2 gallons.

#7 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

I usually do a single sparge after taking first runnings, unless my malt bill exceeds the limits of my tun, forcing me to use an additional sparge. The potential gain from a second sparge increases with larger grain bills, but it's only about 3% in the 10-13 plato range I usually brew. It doesn't seem worth the extra effort for 3%, but that can add 10 points or more to your OG if you're running out of room in your tun and trying to brew a bigger beer.There's a good analysis of the diminishing returns of additional aparges in this write-up.

#8 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

I'm a batch sparger and rinse twice. I'm usually in the 12-14 lbs of grain range and collect 7.75 gallons. So my strike water is usually in the 4-5 gallons range and my sparge water is 2 batches of 4 gallons of water. I'm in the 70-75% efficiency range.

#9 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

With typically 10 pounds of grain, I'll mash-in with 3.5 gallons, then do a mash-out with 1-2 gallons of boiling water, drain then rinse with enough water once to get me to 7 gallons in the kettle. I average about 76% efficiency.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54234 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

Good stuff guys. I have been able to simplify my brewdays here or there, but I still mash anywhere from 60-90 minutes and still do the 2-rinse thing. I doubt this makes a huge difference in my efficiency so maybe I'll try a single-rinse batch and see if I can tell any difference. This is something I had heard about a number of times but never tried. Cheers.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18077 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

Good stuff guys. I have been able to simplify my brewdays here or there, but I still mash anywhere from 60-90 minutes and still do the 2-rinse thing. I doubt this makes a huge difference in my efficiency so maybe I'll try a single-rinse batch and see if I can tell any difference. This is something I had heard about a number of times but never tried. Cheers.

Ken,Have you seen any benefit to mashing longer than 60 minutes? Typically I mash for 45 at my sach rest temp and then ramp up to 165-168 over 15 minutes for a mash out. Just wondering under what parameters you decide to go to 90.

#12 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

The one thing that worries me about 2 sparges on a 14 plato beer or smaller is that it pushes my lauter efficiency up to 90% or more, which starts to make me nervous...

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54234 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

Ken,Have you seen any benefit to mashing longer than 60 minutes? Typically I mash for 45 at my sach rest temp and then ramp up to 165-168 over 15 minutes for a mash out. Just wondering under what parameters you decide to go to 90.

There are no brewing parameters for me to go 90, just life parameters (taking the kids somewhere, getting stuck on the phone, etc.) and because of that, I don't really have any notes or findings on how the longer mahses went. But I will say this... I had a light lager that was made with some percentage of flaked corn and the mash went longer. The beer was very clear and very good overall (which may not have anything to do with the mash), when I went back and looked at my sheet for that batch, I saw that it was a 90-minute mash. I also recently had a batch of MLPA that went REALLY fast. My wife and I were drinking it quicker than usual. Same thing... like a 1 hour, 45 minute mash for whatever the reason. * shrug *

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

There are no brewing parameters for me to go 90, just life parameters (taking the kids somewhere, getting stuck on the phone, etc.) and because of that, I don't really have any notes or findings on how the longer mahses went. But I will say this... I had a light lager that was made with some percentage of flaked corn and the mash went longer. The beer was very clear and very good overall (which may not have anything to do with the mash), when I went back and looked at my sheet for that batch, I saw that it was a 90-minute mash. I also recently had a batch of MLPA that went REALLY fast. My wife and I were drinking it quicker than usual. Same thing... like a 1 hour, 45 minute mash for whatever the reason. * shrug *

wouldn't the longer mash make it a little more fermentable?

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

Same here.

#16 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13078 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

Honest question, how long does this take? I batched sparged once and been flying ever since. I'm always looking at ways to shorten the brew day but for some reason I never consider batch sparging. It's been so long since I've done it, probably more than 5+ years, I don't even remember how long it took.

#17 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Same here.

When I batch sparged I tried 3 and probably 4 runnings. For something under 1.060 it wasn't worth the effort - but my MT could hold about all I wanted. I think when you batch, those third and fourth runnings can get you in pH territory that may give astringency a chance. Just got the new Zymurgy today and Denny has an article in it - haven't read it yet.At my place flying makes sense since I am limited by a 4500 watt heat source in the kettle. It takes 60 - 70 minutes for me to go from the end of the mash to a boil for 12 gallons post boil. No doubt batch sparging and a big burner can get you to a boil earlier. Just the way I've settled on. Well, for now, you never know though......Posted Image

#18 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

I tried triple sparging...... ONCE!

#19 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25643 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

When I first did batch sparging, I was confused about the process.You add water to your mashtun 3 times. Drain wort from you mashtun 2 times.Here is the cliff notes version:1- Mix water and grains in mashtun2- Wait and allow for conversion of grains from starch to sugar3- Add more water to mashtun4- Drain wort from mashtun5- Add water to mashtun6- Drain wort from mashtun7- Begin boilThere are calculations involved to determine the ratio, volume, times etc. If you can't get the above outline sorted, the details and calculations are too confusing.

#20 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

Sometimes I skip step 3. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. The water I would've added for this mash out step is added to the sparge.Also, I start heating the kettle after step 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users